Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Sony PlayStation

Notices

Sony PlayStation Post anything relating to Sony PlayStation here.

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
Lukario
Strangers
Points: 12,317, Level: 72 Points: 12,317, Level: 72 Points: 12,317, Level: 72

Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 
Total Awards: 10

Xbox Live Gamertag: deadDEFINED
Sony wins restraining order against Geohot

Some of you may or may not be following this story. What happened is that, with the assistance of another exploit discovered a week or so before his, he was able to crack the decryption keys of the PlayStation 3, which basically allows anyone to run unsigned code on their PlayStation 3 forever, as there is no way to patch this exploit without rendering past PlayStation 3 consoles useless. Anyway, the restraining order basically bars George Hotz from publicly discussing the keys, as well as barring him from doing further exploits on the PS3.

The thing is the keys are all over the Internet and are a simple Google search away.

A source...
Old 01-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Zero
WISE FWOM YOUR GWAVE
Points: 3,871, Level: 39 Points: 3,871, Level: 39 Points: 3,871, Level: 39
User owns 1x Poke Ball User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo DS
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote

My Mood: Amused
Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Poster Super Member Royalty 
Total Awards: 4

Good news, but it's probably useless at this point... unfortunately.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:50 AM   #3
Rin
Blade of Justice
Points: 39,500, Level: 100 Points: 39,500, Level: 100 Points: 39,500, Level: 100

Rin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Level 100 Award Member of the Month Monster Poster Yoshi Poster 
Total Awards: 7

Send a message via Skype™ to Rin
It was only a matter of time until both the PS3 got truly exploited, and before said exploiter was came after by Sony.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
Vexenon
Points: 484, Level: 9 Points: 484, Level: 9 Points: 484, Level: 9

My Mood: Tired
Vexenon has a spectacular aura aboutVexenon has a spectacular aura about

This entire legal battle has really irked me. Although Sony has a fair argument when it comes to circumvention of the jailbreak, any claims they've made against Hotz when it comes to piracy are absurd. He specifically disabled PEEK & POKE options to prevent backup managers from working on the console, which users typically use to run pirated games. Other users eventually released patches that enabled said capabilities, but you can't point the finger at geohot for it.

Many users also bash him by saying he's responsible for online cheating, which is also incorrect. Hotz has never connection to the PlayStation Network, nor has he encouraged or provided the means to cheat online. Both Sony and many of their consumers fail to understand this, so they simply pick geohot to blame, even though they really have no reason to. I found that the official statement released by Sony today really reflected their user base's ignorance on the entire situation, but that's just my opinion, of course.

If Sony didn't remove OtherOS support and turn the PlayStation 3 into a closed, controlled system, I don't think there'd be this many issues stemming from what George published. Both Apple and Nintendo have shown they can deal with jailbreaking and/or homebrew without suing anyone, so why can't Sony do the same? This entire story is just a shame to see.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
Princess Elle
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83

My Mood: Angelic
Princess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Yoshi Sheriff Medic Princess Award Poster NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via ICQ to Princess Elle Send a message via AIM to Princess Elle Send a message via MSN to Princess Elle Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Elle Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Elle PSN ID: ElleFan98 Xbox Live Gamertag: Willgetonesoon
I would like to mention that it is a TRO (Temp. Restraining Order) and it is not deserved. George Hotz warned Sony of flaws, but Sony didn't do anything but remove Other OS, which made a ton of people mad causing tons of hackers to start working on hacking the PS3. So Sony really screwed themselves.

With that said, I admire Geohot's bravery.
http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2011/02/13/light-it-up/

The battle against Sony is not over yet, in fact, I think this might have just added fuel to the flames.
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!
- Untitled Hymn (Come To Jesus) -
-Chris Rice-
Old 02-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
Vexenon
Points: 484, Level: 9 Points: 484, Level: 9 Points: 484, Level: 9

My Mood: Tired
Vexenon has a spectacular aura aboutVexenon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Elle View Post
I would like to mention that it is a TRO (Temp. Restraining Order) and it is not deserved. George Hotz warned Sony of flaws, but Sony didn't do anything but remove Other OS, which made a ton of people mad causing tons of hackers to start working on hacking the PS3. So Sony really screwed themselves.
Circumvention of their private keys and the jailbreak itself is what Sony has an issue with, so their claim is valid. However, the removal of OtherOS is what inspired this wave of hackers successfully cracking the PlayStation 3.

Quote:
With that said, I admire Geohot's bravery.

The battle against Sony is not over yet, in fact, I think this might have just added fuel to the flames.
That rap was hilarious. I doubt it'll really help anything swing in Sony's favor, especially since their TRO is a joke to begin with.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
Princess Elle
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83

My Mood: Angelic
Princess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Yoshi Sheriff Medic Princess Award Poster NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via ICQ to Princess Elle Send a message via AIM to Princess Elle Send a message via MSN to Princess Elle Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Elle Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Elle PSN ID: ElleFan98 Xbox Live Gamertag: Willgetonesoon
Yeah, they removed Other OS from the system because of a vulnerability in it... Instead of just working to patch it. Geohot was recording his findings with Other OS, and even told Sony about the vulnerability. Obviously they didn't consider it a threat until they found out he was serious. Even though his exploit required a ton of soldering and wouldn't be useful to most people.

And also, Sony should go attack the pirates, not the hacker.He didn't make the piracy software.
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!
- Untitled Hymn (Come To Jesus) -
-Chris Rice-
Closed Thread