Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Articles

Notices

Member Articles Members Articles

Closed Article
 
Article Tools
Top 10 Underrated Pokemon
Top 10 Underrated Pokemon
With epic art to make them more cool
Published by SuperGamecube64
02-22-2011
Top 10 Underrated Pokemon

It's easy to overlook a game character in a game that has over 400 characters. even in Pokemon's early days when there were only 150, it still happened, and was understandable. Some of those we shrugged at were actually quite useful, however. Here are the top 10 underrated Pokemon.

10. Zubat

Zubats are truly pests when you are trying to get to the other side of a cave. The appear constantly and waste your precious time. If you catch one, you find that it is quite weak and has a limited move set. If you train it, it will evolve into a goofy looking Golbat, and when you run into those in caves they're even more annoying! Stick with it, however, and you are rewarded with Crobat - a very fast Pokemon with high attack and lots of poison inducing moves at its disposal.

9. Rattata



Rattata can be captured at the very beginning of the original games, and is quickly tossed to the side by many. It is normally caught around level 2, and even after gaining a few levels is pretty weak. Traienrs who decide to train Rattata anyway will eventually be rewarded with Raticate, who is even less cool because it's so fugly. The good news is that is can learn Hyper Fang, one of the more powerful normal type moves. Even cooler is that until generation 4, these were the only two Pokemon who could learn that move. Still not cool enough? The Japanese name of the attack is Certain-Kill Fang. Is that cool enough for you?

8. Smeargle



When Smeargle is first captured or hatched, it knows only a single attack - Sketch. Sketch is like Mimic, except the attack learned is permanent. As you level up, it will learn Sketch several more times, allowing you to customize Smeargle's move set using absolutely any move in the game! This takes a lot of work however, and you may need to battle a friend asked to specifically help you get the attacks you want. It's still a beastly Pokemon when you pick the right combination.

7. Pidgey



Like Rattata, Pidgeys can be caught at the very beginning of the original games. you probably discarded it into your PC as soon as you caught something cooler, but if you decide to stick with this guy, you are rewarded with Pidgeot - one of the best and coolest flying types in the game next to the legendary birds.

6. Wobbuffet



Wobbuffet was introduced in the second generation, and could be found in one of the last caves you enter in Johto. Honestly, he looks goofy as heck, and seems relatively useless. He can be extremely powerful if you know what you're doing, however. It can only learn a handful of moves. Using Mirror Coat and Counter, you can do devastating damage if you can read your opponent. Using Destiny Bond first ensures that even if Wobbuffet goes down, it still gets the last laugh.

5. Shedinja



When Nincada evolves into Ninjask, you will also get a Shedinja provided you have an extra Pokeball in your backpack, and an empty party slot. Shedinja is unique in that it is the only Pokemon with a ghost/bug type combination. It has a limited move pool, and only has 1 single hit point. What makes it worth having, then? The fact that it is completely impervious to all attacks that are not super effective or indirect(struggle, spikes, etc).

4. Magikarp



everyone knows that Magikarp is useless, and that it evolves into Gyarados, who is actually very, very popular. Why is he underrated then? Because every time you get the chance, you catch a Gyarados and the your Magikarp either sits in your PC or is released. But if you already have it's higher form, which is incredibly awesome, why keep the little weakling Magikarp? Well, Gyarados caught in the wild are a high level, while Magikarp are generally 5 and under (although it is possible to catch a level 100 Magikarp). A Pokemont rained from a lower level is stronger than one trained from a higher level, because it gathers "EV points" depending on the Pokemon it found while leveling up. The few of you that actually stuck with your Magikarp and raised it into the fearsome Gyarados it is were rewarded with an insanely powerful Gyarados. Those caught in the wild cannot rival it.

3. Rhydon



Rhydon isn't so much underrated as it is under used. I see it in very few parties, but it is insanely useful. If you come up against a water type, it can learn thunder! It can also learn surf, which does it very little good in battle compared to others, but if you are not a water type fan, or already have a water type in your party you don't with to teach surf to, Rhydon is the perfect solution. n the newer games, his ability, lightning rod, makes him a perfect pairing with any flying or water type.

2. Shuckle



Shuckle is a goofy looking turtle Pokemon which mostly defensive attacks. It's attack stats are also very low, and it barely does any damage. Thanks to this, many push Shuckle to the side. These people are missing the point. Shuckle is a wall. He has massive hit points and defense, and can wishstand almost any attack. If you want an annoying Pokemon to drive your opponent nuts trying to take it out, Shuckle is definitely a good choice.

1. Octillery



Octillery is another very underrated and underused Pokemon. With a move pool of 53 different moves of 15 different types, the trainer is the potter, and the Octillery is his clay. Octillery has one of the lowest speeds of any Pokemon, but Trick room can easily fix that. In the hands of a skilled trainer, Octillery is a tank(pun somewhat unintended).

So, the next time you are playing Pokemon and you come across that weak looking Pokemon in the first routes of the game, or that pestering cave Pokemon, give it a chance. You may be surprised.
Published by
SuperGamecube64's Avatar
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,323
Rep Power: 192
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64

Article Tools
Sponsored Links
  #1  
By Tanis on 02-22-2011, 09:32 PM
This list is very true unfortunately. Some Pokemon like Shuckle, Wobbuffet, and heck even Smeargle can be very powerful if you know what you're doing. I remember deciding to go catch and train a Rattata just for the hell of it on my Fire Red version, and I ran into a shiny one on my first encounter. I <3 Rattata now.
  #2  
By Keyman4 on 02-22-2011, 09:43 PM
i disagree on smeargle, but the others seem underrated
  #3  
By SuperGamecube64 on 02-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman4 View Post
i disagree on smeargle, but the others seem underrated
Anything you would've replaced it with?
  #4  
By Alice on 02-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
Anything you would've replaced it with?
Remoraid.

but in all seriousness, there are a lot of underrated Pokemon. Thank for acknowledging that. :3
  #5  
By SuperGamecube64 on 02-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune-Shipping View Post
Remoraid.

but in all seriousness, there are a lot of underrated Pokemon. Thank for acknowledging that. :3
well, with Octillery on the list, seemed dumb to include Remoraid.
  #6  
By LolGames4U on 02-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Hmm I seemed to have spawned some debates with my Top 5 Pokemon thread, haven't I? But I have a level 100 Japanese Wobuffet I got on the GTS and it completely owns. I wouldn't call that really underrated.
  #7  
By SuperGamecube64 on 02-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolGames4U View Post
Hmm I seemed to have spawned some debates with my Top 5 Pokemon thread, haven't I? But I have a level 100 Japanese Wobuffet I got on the GTS and it completely owns. I wouldn't call that really underrated.
I meant for the majority of players, and the majority of players DO underestimate Wobbuffet.
  #8  
By DarkLegacy on 02-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
well, with Octillery on the list, seemed dumb to include Remoraid.
but remoraid is better!
  #9  
By Mario on 02-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Zubat FTW! Good article!
Closed Article


Currently Active Users Viewing This Article: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Article Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Top 5 Pokemon: Alice Alice Member Articles 6 02-22-2011 01:03 PM
Top 5 Pokemon! LolGames4U Member Articles 11 02-21-2011 01:16 PM
Your Top 6 Pokemon Jade Pokemon Series 41 05-16-2010 01:55 PM
Melee: Pokémon scramble/Pokemon Rumble Mreow Pokemon Series 2 12-23-2009 03:57 PM
Underrated Games Brandyn General Nintendo Section 105 09-27-2009 11:20 AM

NFF Youtube Videos NFF Facebook page

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Article powered by GARS 2.1.9 ©2005-2006
Nintendo Blog

Nintendofanforum.com is a Nintendo fansite and is not associated with or endorsed by Nintendo of America, Inc.
All trademarks and images belong to their respective owners.
Nintendo Wii