Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Advance Wars
Advance Wars
Published by Mikematute
02-23-2011
Author review
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 89%
Advance Wars

In Wars many say that the most important thing is to have the best equipment. Some say that itís having the most advanced technology. Others say to have the largest amount of soldiers, tanks, etc. But what wins most wars is the strategy.
In the game of Advance Wars you are the one who moves the whole battle and the most important thing in the game is to create a good strategy depending on the terms of winning.
In this game, for you to win, you need to accomplish the terms of wining. There are three common ways of wining a battle. One is destroying all of your opponent units, another is capturing the enemyís HQ and in some battles there is an alternative way of winning which is capturing a determined number of properties.
The game play of this game seems complicated, but after two or three battles (and the tutorial) you get really used to it. The battle map is a grid map just like the Fire Emblem games and the cursor moves square by square. The battles progress by turns (within the game itís also counted by days). First is the players turn and after heís finished, the opponentís turn is up. During your turn, you can move your units. Units can be categorized in 5 kinds of units: infantry, tanks (and wheeled cars), artillery, sea units and air units. You can also move your units and order them to attack if your enemy is within attack range. Every unit has a different attack range; movement range and some units have more difficulty to get through some terrains than others. Units also have gas and ammo. You have to regularly check this because you may suddenly get stuck in the middle of a battle field without any ammunition for firing. Fortunately, there are special units (that by the way are really cheap) that can refill all these things and you can also refill them by standing on one of your cities. In order to capture cities you need to conquer them with soldiers. It is as easy as standing on the city and pressing capture. As I mentioned before the game is kind of complicated, but you get used to the game play after two or three battles.

The graphics are descent (considering it was one of the first games that appeared for the Gameboy advance) they donít use obscure colors throughout the game, but they used bright ones in order to make the game a little better and more attractive. During battle (this option can be turned off/on) you may see how each unit battles and see how many you destroy or how many of yours are being destroyed as well. Aside from this video, you can see the life of your units since it is displayed with a little number below your unit (if there isnít any number it means that your unit has its complete life).

The sound in the game makes it even more fun (although after some time it gets annoying). Each army has a different kind of music depending on the CO you choose. It makes the battle more active.
This is a good time to mention the COís. COís are the strategic commanders of the battle (in other words you). There are different kinds of COís, and every CO has a Power that characterizes him.

In this game, as in most, there is a story mode. The story of Advance Wars is based on Macro Land, which is divided into 4 main countries: Orange Star, Blue Moon, Yellow Comet, Green Earth.
The problem begins when Blue Moon thinks that the Orange army invaded them (you being the Orange army). During the story you go through all the countries surveying all the enemy attacks. At some point after going through Blue Moon territory you arrive at other countries, and these attack you as well, all for different reasons.

This is one of the games that I enjoyed when I was about 10 years old. When I became addicted to videogames, I looked for it. When I found it, I began to play it and found out that it was more complicated than I had thought. I enjoyed playing it and found new things to do and more challenges too.
To re-play this game is a very wise decision. Why? Some may ask. In the storyline there are 2 or three side quest that can only be accomplished in a determined condition and you may also try the hard mode (and it is really, REALLY difficult).
I highly recommend this game for people who are looking for challenges in games, people who donít mind getting stuck at some point and keep trying harder. This is a really good game for everybody.
Published by
Zombie Prosecutor
Mikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Mikematute
Sponsored Links
By NommyNommy on 02-24-2011, 03:45 PM
font size 12 please
By Mikematute on 02-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
95%95%95%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%