Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Ghosts 'N Goblins
Ghosts 'N Goblins
Keyman4
Published by Keyman4
02-24-2011
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Unhappy Ghosts 'N Goblins

Developer: CapeffinCom (CapCom)
Publisher: CapeffinCom (CapCom)
Release Date: December, 1987
Genre: Action/Platform/Shooter

"Have you ever played a game where you intentionally avoided the powers ups?"

Has that same game allowed you almost no control over the way your character jumps? Is getting hit twice before dying your cup of tea? Oh, and over all of that, do you like the fact that you have to play through the game twice in order to actually beat it? If you answered yes to any of these questions, why are you reading this review? Howeve if you answered no, then you haven't played the disaster that is Ghosts 'N Goblins.

At a first glance, Ghosts 'N Goblins appears to be a pretty standard action platformer game. The story, which was a fairly common theme back in the NES days, is that the main character, Arthur, is having a good old picnic at midnight in the graveyard with his girlfriend, Princess Prin-Prin. Arthur is just chilling in his heart shaped boxers (early Grand Theft Auto anyone) when suddenly a gigantic, red demon comes swooping in from the pitch black sky and swoops up Princess Prin-Prin. Like any hero would, Arthur puts on his armor and heads out to save the Princess.

For an early NES game, the graphics weren't too bad. While they are "grainy", Arthur and the monsters are detailed enough so you can verify them, and the backgrounds are easy on the eyes and suits the game perfectly (a special mention goes to the first level for the castle on the mountain), but they tend to get repetitive later on in the game as the backgrounds just comes out to be a wall with a different color to them. However this minor gripe does not take away from the game. Another plus goes to the music, which while there aren't many tracks, makes the atmosphere creepy and gives you a sense of isolation (the third level gets special mention here)

But this, unfortunately is where the praise stops.

If you didn't know already, this game is very challenging! Now you may be wondering, how is that a bad thing? Well, challenge in video games come in two forms: 1.The challenge where a boss is hard or you have to solve a complex puzzle and 2.The challenge where it involves the game's flaws and unfortunately, GnG falls under the second choice.

The biggest flaw in this game is its awful controls. Sure the control scheme was simple- use the A button to jump and the B button to shoot your weapon (no biggie there, the NES controller only had 2 buttons), but Arthur's jump is very stiff and gives you no control over it whatsoever. Arthur also has a slow ducking mechanic which almost makes it useless to even use. The excuse "its was an early NES game" doesn't work either- just look at the superior Super Mario Bros released a year earlier.

Secondly, the 2 hit-then-die system made no sense. Why? Arthur has a suit of armor which should be durable enough to take a few hits. Why does one simple "touch" from an enemy knock it off? Plus, who wears underwear under armor? Put some clothes on man!

The last thing I need to discuss the powerups in this game-the fireball, the dagger, the axe (thank goodness its rare), and the holy shield. I will go on a fair note and say that the dagger and the shield aren't that bad and that they are pretty useful to use. However, the fireball was a useless weapon in this game because it rarely hits your opponent and if it does hit him, you have to wait for the explosion to end. The axe (which should be named one of the worst video game power-ups) flies off upward without ever even touching your enemy, unless he happens to be close to you. But it gets even worse from here!

Usually in a good game like Castlevania, the power-ups tend to stay around for some time before disappearing. In GnG however, the bad power-ups seems to never go away. Never!! This is really annoying when one of the power-ups just happens to fall above a ladder that you have to climb down.

Grade-D+
This could've been a much better game if it had better power-ups and a much more forgiving control scheme. What you get though is a decent platformer with a few humorous quirks such as the ending cutscene.

In conclusion though,Ghosts 'N Goblins is a decent game that ironically lead to a series of much better sequels like Ghouls 'N Ghosts and Demon's Crest. Even though it's hard, it is still.....playable........and can satisfy anyone's need for a good challenge. If you get the chance try it out!-Keyman4
Published by
The Mega Master
Keyman4 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Keyman4
Sponsored Links
By Lukario on 02-25-2011, 12:47 AM
I tried to play this game. It's way too unforgiving. Even worse is at the end Satan makes you do it over again.
By AlloftheAbove on 02-25-2011, 01:25 AM
You rated it a D+ and said it had truly awful controls, and that it was a disaster. Yet, you called it a decent platformer that we should definitely play if we get the chance.
By Keyman4 on 02-25-2011, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloftheAbove View Post
You rated it a D+ and said it had truly awful controls, and that it was a disaster. Yet, you called it a decent platformer that we should definitely play if we get the chance.

woops, if one doesn't mind stiff controls is what i was trying to say............
By SuperGamecube64 on 02-25-2011, 05:37 AM
If the review wasn't so contradictory, s AotA pointed out, it would be decent. I see many missing punctuation marks, though.

Also, why count the double play through thing against it? It isn't the first game to do that, nor was it the last.
By theichibun on 02-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Meh, it's just another example of kids these days not liking an old game because it's hard.

Plus you didn't even touch on the main reason why it sucks so much. It was developed for the NES by Micronics after being in the arcades. Arcade games are made hard on purpose so you have to pay more money to beat it.

You can't really judge an arcade game the same way you would an original title like Super Mario Bros. because the reason why the games exist is totally different.
By Mario on 02-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Loved this game in the arcade.
By Keyman4 on 02-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
If the review wasn't so contradictory, s AotA pointed out, it would be decent. I see many missing punctuation marks, though.

Also, why count the double play through thing against it? It isn't the first game to do that, nor was it the last.

thanks for the comments everyone, its been a while sense i've done a review

EDIT: @SGC64: OK, when was I ever against the that the double playthrough, beside the first paragraph? Yes, I know that other games had this function, but GnG was the only one I know where it was mandatory

Oh and please point out my grammatical mistakes (the "CapeffinCom" was done on purpose for a little humor in the review)
Last edited by Keyman4; 02-25-2011 at 05:50 PM..
By Colorful CrAzYoNzZ on 02-25-2011, 08:55 PM
The picture of the ending cut-scene made me lol.
I want an NES so bad. xD
By Brandyn on 02-25-2011, 11:25 PM
I play the Arcade version on my Capcom collection for PSP, and while it is indeed difficult, it's not that bad. Maybe stiff controls harm the NES version (though I have not played this version), but overall the game isn't really bad.
Comment