Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Technical Support > Computers

Notices

Computers Post any Computer related support questions here.

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
Saczline
Goomba
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1

Saczline is an unknown quantity at this point

Can a laptop be upgraded like a desktop?

I m thinking about buying an alien ware gaming laptop. I have about 1500 to spend. what I need to know is can I upgrade things on a laptop such as graphics card as easy as on a desktop if i need to in the future.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2011, 01:52 AM   #2
Cam3ron36@NFF
NHL Fanatic
Points: 31,707, Level: 100 Points: 31,707, Level: 100 Points: 31,707, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 3x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Bullet Bill User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Fighter

My Mood: Gaming
Cam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award Royalty Monster Poster Review of the Month Review of the Month Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via Skype™ to Cam3ron36@NFF Xbox Live Gamertag: cam3ron36
most things are usb, so yes. You could hook up speakers, keyboard, mouse, etc. and it's still all the same components, so you can feel free to change graphics cards and whatnot.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Dr. Jekyll
A STRANGE CASE OF...
Points: 4,260, Level: 41 Points: 4,260, Level: 41 Points: 4,260, Level: 41
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii

My Mood: Cynical
Dr. Jekyll is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
Royalty 
Total Awards: 1

No.

Every laptop is designed differently by its manufacturer, meaning you CANNOT just buy any old graphics card and plug it in. The laptop lacks a standard form-factor, which means you can't install any standard graphics cards, motherboards, or CPU for it.

If you were incredibly desperate, you could buy a specially built laptop that can be upgraded. But frankly, is that really worth it?

Desktops are the best when it comes to upgrading and improving, not laptops. You are asking the wrong group of people for help. Simply Google your question, or ask a suitable tech support forum. You will undoubtedly get better results.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
theichibun
The Youngest Old Man
Points: 971, Level: 16 Points: 971, Level: 16 Points: 971, Level: 16

theichibun will become famous soon enoughtheichibun will become famous soon enough

Afraid he's right. Laptops generally can be upgraded, but due to weirdness with construction and space limits it's generally a lot of trouble.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:37 AM   #5
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 58,729, Level: 100 Points: 58,729, Level: 100 Points: 58,729, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
Moved to computer tech support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Old 09-02-2011, 05:23 AM   #6
funkybabeone
Points: 83, Level: 1 Points: 83, Level: 1 Points: 83, Level: 1

funkybabeone is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via Yahoo to funkybabeone
yes you can upgrade your Laptop RAM and Hard drive. Nothing much i dnt know about i
Old 04-11-2012, 03:40 AM   #7
Princess Elle
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83

My Mood: Angelic
Princess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Yoshi Sheriff Medic Princess Award Poster NFF Promoter 

Send a message via ICQ to Princess Elle Send a message via AIM to Princess Elle Send a message via MSN to Princess Elle Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Elle Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Elle PSN ID: ElleFan98 Xbox Live Gamertag: Willgetonesoon
Simple answer is no. Most of the time the processor and stuff is actually built on to the motherboard, so unless you know how you solder and rebuild your laptop in ways not meant for anyone as the developers don't even ever do that, then I am afraid you are screwed.
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!
- Untitled Hymn (Come To Jesus) -
-Chris Rice-
Old 04-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 37,994, Level: 100 Points: 37,994, Level: 100 Points: 37,994, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Elle View Post
Simple answer is no. Most of the time the processor and stuff is actually built on to the motherboard, so unless you know how you solder and rebuild your laptop in ways not meant for anyone as the developers don't even ever do that, then I am afraid you are screwed.
I am screwed. Time to buy a desktop PC.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Old 04-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Princess Elle
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83 Points: 16,966, Level: 83

My Mood: Angelic
Princess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Elle is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Yoshi Sheriff Medic Princess Award Poster NFF Promoter 

Send a message via ICQ to Princess Elle Send a message via AIM to Princess Elle Send a message via MSN to Princess Elle Send a message via Yahoo to Princess Elle Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Elle PSN ID: ElleFan98 Xbox Live Gamertag: Willgetonesoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Konata View Post
I am screwed. Time to buy a desktop PC.
Desktop PC's are actually really cheap in comparison to a laptop. The specs are like, twice as good for the same price plus they are fully upgradable. I just recently paid $1800 for a computer than can run pretty much any game at highest everything, but my $3000 laptop struggles to play near full. I personally prefer desktops for heavy use, but if it is just for like school related things, I will settle for a laptop.
Sometimes we fall...so
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus
Fall on Jesus and live!
- Untitled Hymn (Come To Jesus) -
-Chris Rice-
Old 04-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 37,994, Level: 100 Points: 37,994, Level: 100 Points: 37,994, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

I'll take that $3000 laptop off your hands.

Also my laptop was only 800, but I pretty much paid for the touch screen. Waste of time. Soon as I get a proper PC my laptop is going in the bin.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Closed Thread