Member Articles Members Articles

Closed Article

Article Tools
Pokemon Black & white - Immitation of the Past
Published by SuperGamecube64
03-26-2011

With each new generation of Pokemon comes a slew of new monsters. Generation II was pretty well received, and Generation III had its gems. With Generation IV a lot of fans rolled there eyes at most of the designs. Now we have Generation V. some say it's even better than Generation I, and other think it's the wost so far. I am on neither side of this argument. I do, however, believe that ken Sugimori (the guy that designs all the Pokemon) tried to take inspiration from his own past creations, and has effectively mirrored Generation I.

In Generation I, you were faced with a decision: Hitmonchan, or Hitmonlee. Two fighting types, one with higher attack, the other with higher defense. One fought with punches, the other fought with kicks.

Hitmonchan(right) and hitmonlee(left)

In Generation 4, Ken once again drew inspiration from martial arts, this time putting one Pokemon in Black, and the other in White - Throh and Sawk. Like the Hitmons, they are opposite in attack and defense. Sawk's attacks are more karate oriented while Throh mostly learns throwing and grappling attacks.

Sawk
Throh

Pokemon veterans were once pestered in caves by two Pokemon in particular. Wild Zubats would often appear, and use annoying attacks like confuse ray, or leech life. If it wasn't that, a Geodude would pop up and take you forever to kill because of it's high defense, and constant use of Harden.

Geodude

Zubat

In Generation V, trainers are still facing the same basic annoyance - a moving rock, and a life leeching bat. Roggenrolla's name is a pun, much like Geodude's, though not nearly as awesome. Thry also ahve similar move sets. as for Woobat...I don't feel I even need to explain. Even their names are direct parodies of one another.

Roggenrolla

Woobat

The first games introduced Chansey, a rare Pokemon that can only be found in the Safari Zone. Chansey has high defense, high HP, and recovery abilities. A very nice "wall" to add to your team. Black and White introduced Audiono, another pink menace with similar states, recovery abilities, and just as rare.

Chansey
Audino

Remember Grimer and Muk, the sludge Pokemon? the Stinky duo from generation I were the result of sewage backup and spillage. Generation V take's place in a much more urban setting, and instead of sludge, trash is the problem. This is where Trubbish and Garbodor come into play.

Grimer(left) and Muk(right)
Trubbish
Garbodor

Another putrid Pokemon pair were Koffing and Weezing. Weezing was actually two Koffing fused together due to a chemical reaction within their gasses. while the Generation V counterpart is much less disgusting, the influence is still jsut as apparent. Vanilite, an ice cream like Pokemon eventually evolves into Vaniluxe, which also has two heads.

Koffing (right) and Weezing (left)

Vanilite (left), Vanilish (center) and Vanluxe (right)

There are many others, such as Venepede and Sewadle being Generation V equivalents of Weedle and Caterpie. Frillish and Jellicent are essentially the new Tentacool and Tentacruel. Blitzle and Zebrastrika are simply reimagined versions of Ponyta and Rapidash. I could go on and on about how many of the new designs were inspired by old ones. Even if you don't like some of the new designs, you can't deny these obvious influences. and besides, give Sugimori a break? Could you design 500 monsters, and make every single one of them please every single one of your fans, or even people in general?
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64

Article Tools
Sponsored Links
By Colorful CrAzYoNzZ on 03-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Wow, I never noticed how many were similar to Gen. 1.
I noticed Audino, but never thought about the others until you mentioned them.
By Mikematute on 03-28-2011, 08:47 AM
i havent played the V gen. but from what im seeing they went a step down with the pokemon.
By SuperGamecube64 on 03-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikematute View Post
i havent played the V gen. but from what im seeing they went a step down with the pokemon.
in my honest opinions, it's the best generation since Gold and Silver, and it blows Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl out of the water.
By Tanis on 03-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Some of the Gen V pokes may seem weird at first, but they grow on you.
By Mikematute on 03-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
in my honest opinions, it's the best generation since Gold and Silver, and it blows Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl out of the water.
this gives me hope. but i dont know. and still i has to save for my 3DS and skyward sword. anyway maybe I will download it and play it in my R4
By NommyNommy on 03-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cube
Generation III had its gems
lol

i c wut u did thar
By Final Flourish on 03-30-2011, 03:28 AM
You probably wouldn't know unless you visited smogon and shoddy often but..
The 5gen pokemon have entirely different movepools, typings and strategies than the previous gens. They aren't even comparable role-playing wise in battle.

Pokemon B&W did offer that random match up thing over wifi..which I loved!
Other than that, yeah, it's the same game with new shit. But hey, I love it.
I'm glad they're adding new things. They might even balance out the mtagame one day, lol.
By SuperGamecube64 on 03-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Forum bud View Post
You probably wouldn't know unless you visited smogon and shoddy often but..
The 5gen pokemon have entirely different movepools, typings and strategies than the previous gens. They aren't even comparable role-playing wise in battle.

Pokemon B&W did offer that random match up thing over wifi..which I loved!
Other than that, yeah, it's the same game with new shit. But hey, I love it.
I'm glad they're adding new things. They might even balance out the mtagame one day, lol.
they need to make Charizard a beast again. He used to be amazing, now he just has way too many weaknesses to be practical.
By Final Flourish on 03-31-2011, 12:56 AM
Yeah. If you have a charizard now'a'days you get trolled because he has so many weaknesses.
Spoiler
"LOL CHARIZARD. ONIX OBV CAN USE ROCK SLIDE"
Closed Article