Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat > Debate Forum

Notices

Debate Forum This is the Debate forum engage in serious debates here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 04:44 AM   #1
Final Flourish
Light Grenade
Points: 5,497, Level: 47
Points: 5,497, Level: 47 Points: 5,497, Level: 47 Points: 5,497, Level: 47
User owns 1x Pegasuses Boots User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x Poke Doll
 
Final Flourish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,600

My Mood: Devilish
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 64
Final Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to behold

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Should Marijuana be Legalized under any Circumstances?

Quote:
Pros:
  1. The drug generally isn't more harmful than alcohol or tobacco if used in moderation.
  2. Limiting the use of the drug intrudes on personal freedom.
  3. Legalization would mean a lower price; thus, related crimes (like theft) would be reduced.
  4. There are medical benefits such as the those for cancer patients.
  5. Street justice related to drug disputes would be reduced.
  6. It could be a source of additional tax revenues.
  7. Police and court resources would be freed up for more serious crimes.
  8. Drug dealers (including some terrorists) would lose most or all of their business.
  9. The FDA or others could regulate the quality and safety of drugs.
  10. Like sex, alcohol, or cigarettes, marijuana is one of life's little pleasures for some people.
  11. Drug busts often trap young people in a flawed system that turns them into lifelong criminals
Cons:
  1. Marijuana is often used as a stepping-stone drug, leading to heroin, cocaine, or other harder drugs.
  2. Stoned driving and other dangers would be increased.
  3. Some consider use of the drug as morally wrong.
  4. Legalization would increase the chances of the drug falling into the hands of kids.
  5. Because of drug-related arrests, people who have committed or are likely to commit more serious crimes can be taken off the streets.
  6. Physical damage would be done to users that abuse the drug.
  7. More widespread use would increase the dangers of secondhand smoke-damage to bystanders.




Now, I personally don't consider pot any more morally sordid than tobacco or liquor but I would not like another drug to be legalized in America. Sure, everyone needs their source of manufactured tranquility, but I believe in moderation.

So what do you guys think? Should America Legalize it or not and do you disagree with the above pros and cons?
__________________
Final Flourish is offline  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 23,270, Level: 93
Points: 23,270, Level: 93 Points: 23,270, Level: 93 Points: 23,270, Level: 93
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank
 
Megas75's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Santa Destroy
Posts: 4,905

My Mood: Twisted
Thanks: 74
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 176
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
Depends on what it's used for. Some doctors prescribe these kind of drugs to stimulat diseases and this might make it easier to obtain it. In addition to that, all the illegal activities(like gangs, smugglers, etc.) will likely decrease in time.

Other than that, I'm pretty neutral
__________________
Megas75 is online now  
Old 03-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 58,566, Level: 100
Points: 58,566, Level: 100 Points: 58,566, Level: 100 Points: 58,566, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom
 
SuperGamecube64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,382

My Mood: Woot
Thanks: 7
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 192
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
Less harmful that cigarettes, generally promotes creativity at the price of a few brain cells...sure, why not. If people wanna take pleasure in getting high while slowly becoming retarded, let them.
__________________



Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
SuperGamecube64 is offline  
Old 03-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
Rin
Blade of Justice
Points: 39,521, Level: 100
Points: 39,521, Level: 100 Points: 39,521, Level: 100 Points: 39,521, Level: 100
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 7,034

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 157
Rin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant future


Awards Showcase
Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Level 100 Award Member of the Month Monster Poster Yoshi Poster 
Total Awards: 7

Send a message via Skype™ to Rin
Kids get their hands on pot easier than alcohol or cigarettes if you ask me. IT should have been legalized 20 years ago. If nothing else, the government can tax it and get extra income.
Rin is online now  
Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
Mikematute
Zombie Prosecutor
Points: 12,827, Level: 73
Points: 12,827, Level: 73 Points: 12,827, Level: 73 Points: 12,827, Level: 73
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Triforce
 
Mikematute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mexico.
Posts: 2,493

My Mood: Gaming
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 58
Mikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of light


Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Review of the Month Poster 
Total Awards: 4

ppl will never control their adictivness. is like you telling me (or anyone in this forum) to stop playing videogames. that will never happen.
my answer is NO.
__________________

WHO THE **** DO YOU THINK I AM
Mikematute is offline  
Old 03-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
Lukario
Strangers
Points: 12,361, Level: 72
Points: 12,361, Level: 72 Points: 12,361, Level: 72 Points: 12,361, Level: 72
 
Lukario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,160

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 124
Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 
Total Awards: 10

Xbox Live Gamertag: deadDEFINED
I'm very much pro legalization. The FBI needs to stop raiding pot clinics and sending a guy with an ounce of weed to prison for ten years. It's a waste of money and a mockery to our government that we're spending billions on "The War on Drugs" when we can simply legalize and regulate marijuana sale and use and make millions or billions.

Plus, kids will finally stop acting as though smoking marijuana makes them cool, just because it's illegal. Pretty soon smoking marijuana will be just like smoking cigarettes: an accepted drug that makes you cool when you're a kid, and an asshole as an adult.
__________________
all i need? all i need is an escape...
Lukario is offline  
Old 03-30-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight
Points: 21,468, Level: 92
Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller
 
SegaSlayer33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,232

My Mood: Thinking
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 40
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough


Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: Get your own Xbox Live Gamertag: Get your own
I wholly disagree; sometimes there are principles that I believe as a nation you can't falter on, and that the continued banning of controlled substances is one of them

YES, we use a lot of money combating the war on drugs.

YES, marijuana is on a relative level of danger as tobacco.

But here's a thought I ask you to entertain:

"Tobacco should be banned".

Wait.

Hold on, just wait.

I'm sure the smart alecs are all itching to say "but you can't....... just promote illegal trade etc."

That doesn't mean that we should not, full stop. It means we cannot, because Government resources can not fully compensate for the quashing of illegal trading, and more importantly tobacco has a larger stranglehold on society.

So when you say marijuana should be legalized because tobacco is, you're shooting yourself in the foot. Because in a realistic (<important) best case scenario, tobacco can be banned because it is not heavily ingrained in society as a whole. Marijuana does not hold that distinction, so not only should it be banned but thank heaven, it is.

I'd liken this to slavery. Slavery was a huge part of the economy of the United States for nearly 100 years. But are any of you willing to say that slavery is morally justifiable? Are any of you willing to say promoting drug use is appropriate? Because don't kid yourself otherwise, legalizing and growing an industry that is by definition wrong, when you have an operating system that can improve in other ways, you're taking the easy way out. And an easy way that will hurt vulnerable people, and believe me does nothing but hurt the situation
__________________


To see an index of my review, click here
Latest review: Ristar
SegaSlayer33 is offline  
Old 03-30-2011, 03:01 AM   #8
Lukario
Strangers
Points: 12,361, Level: 72
Points: 12,361, Level: 72 Points: 12,361, Level: 72 Points: 12,361, Level: 72
 
Lukario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,160

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 124
Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 
Total Awards: 10

Xbox Live Gamertag: deadDEFINED
Quote:
Originally Posted by SegaSlayer33 View Post
I wholly disagree; sometimes there are principles that I believe as a nation you can't falter on, and that the continued banning of controlled substances is one of them

YES, we use a lot of money combating the war on drugs.

YES, marijuana is on a relative level of danger as tobacco.

But here's a thought I ask you to entertain:

"Tobacco should be banned".

Wait.

Hold on, just wait.

I'm sure the smart alecs are all itching to say "but you can't....... just promote illegal trade etc."

I know you're from New Zealand, and I know you're only speaking hypothetically, but look up Prohibition in the United States. It was such a massive failure that it was repealed. All it did was create more criminals and all the bad things that come along with them. There's reason to believe that banning tobacco would have the same effect.

That doesn't mean that we should not, full stop. It means we cannot, because Government resources can not fully compensate for the quashing of illegal trading, and more importantly tobacco has a larger stranglehold on society.

So when you say marijuana should be legalized because tobacco is, you're shooting yourself in the foot. Because in a realistic (<important) best case scenario, tobacco can be banned because it is not heavily ingrained in society as a whole. Marijuana does not hold that distinction, so not only should it be banned but thank heaven, it is.

But no one is making that point. The point is that marijuana use is rampant and the product is easy to get. A large reason it isn't allowed in the United States is because the government cannot figure out how to regulate it. Why bother buying government marijuana when you can grow your own plants?

I'd liken this to slavery. Slavery was a huge part of the economy of the United States for nearly 100 years. But are any of you willing to say that slavery is morally justifiable? Are any of you willing to say promoting drug use is appropriate? Because don't kid yourself otherwise, legalizing and growing an industry that is by definition wrong, when you have an operating system that can improve in other ways, you're taking the easy way out. And an easy way that will hurt vulnerable people, and believe me does nothing but hurt the situation

Except drugs are not a driving force of the United States economy (and I'd take a gamble and say the same is true for all Western Countries). You cannot compare apples to oranges. Compare smoking marijuana to smoking cigarettes. We can both agree that both are bad and their benefits are outweighed greatly by their risks.


Consider it from an economic standpoint. Chances are a big part of why it isn't legal is because it'll be next to impossible to regulate its use right away. There's also the entire issue of how many more deaths from car accidents, etc. will be caused by marijuana use. Personally, I don't think it should be that high of a priority at the moment.
__________________
all i need? all i need is an escape...
Lukario is offline  
Old 03-30-2011, 03:09 AM   #9
Final Flourish
Light Grenade
Points: 5,497, Level: 47
Points: 5,497, Level: 47 Points: 5,497, Level: 47 Points: 5,497, Level: 47
User owns 1x Pegasuses Boots User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x Poke Doll
 
Final Flourish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,600

My Mood: Devilish
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 64
Final Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to behold

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
Less harmful that cigarettes, generally promotes creativity at the price of a few brain cells...sure, why not. If people wanna take pleasure in getting high while slowly becoming retarded, let them.
Rofl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
Kids get their hands on pot easier than alcohol or cigarettes if you ask me. IT should have been legalized 20 years ago. If nothing else, the government can tax it and get extra income.
Orly? I'd say cigarettes are more accessible than pot. Not every parent will follow the yellow brick road down the alleyway to purchase illegal pot. However, the majority of parents would most likely just buy a pack of cigarettes at the store. Thus, making the accessibility the underaged have to pot less than the accessibility they have to cigarettes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megas75 View Post
Depends on what it's used for. Some doctors prescribe these kind of drugs to stimulat diseases and this might make it easier to obtain it. In addition to that, all the illegal activities(like gangs, smugglers, etc.) will likely decrease in time.

Other than that, I'm pretty neutral
Doctors don't just throw caution into the wind and give prescriptions to just anybody. There are some cases where savvy individuals will get away with getting pot from the Doctors for the sole purpose of using it irresponsively, but this is rare. I'd expect the illegal activities revolved around pot distribution to go down as well, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikematute View Post
ppl will never control their adictivness. is like you telling me (or anyone in this forum) to stop playing videogames. that will never happen.
my answer is NO.
They're both stimulants, so I understand the analogy. But you eventually have to put the controller down and give it a rest...right? Everything within moderation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukario View Post
I'm very much pro legalization. The FBI needs to stop raiding pot clinics and sending a guy with an ounce of weed to prison for ten years. It's a waste of money and a mockery to our government that we're spending billions on "The War on Drugs" when we can simply legalize and regulate marijuana sale and use and make millions or billions.

Plus, kids will finally stop acting as though smoking marijuana makes them cool, just because it's illegal. Pretty soon smoking marijuana will be just like smoking cigarettes: an accepted drug that makes you cool when you're a kid, and an asshole as an adult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SegaSlayer33 View Post
I wholly disagree; sometimes there are principles that I believe as a nation you can't falter on, and that the continued banning of controlled substances is one of them

YES, we use a lot of money combating the war on drugs.

YES, marijuana is on a relative level of danger as tobacco.

But here's a thought I ask you to entertain:

"Tobacco should be banned".

Wait.

Hold on, just wait.

I'm sure the smart alecs are all itching to say "but you can't....... just promote illegal trade etc."

That doesn't mean that we should not, full stop. It means we cannot, because Government resources can not fully compensate for the quashing of illegal trading, and more importantly tobacco has a larger stranglehold on society.

So when you say marijuana should be legalized because tobacco is, you're shooting yourself in the foot. Because in a realistic (<important) best case scenario, tobacco can be banned because it is not heavily ingrained in society as a whole. Marijuana does not hold that distinction, so not only should it be banned but thank heaven, it is.

I'd liken this to slavery. Slavery was a huge part of the economy of the United States for nearly 100 years. But are any of you willing to say that slavery is morally justifiable? Are any of you willing to say promoting drug use is appropriate? Because don't kid yourself otherwise, legalizing and growing an industry that is by definition wrong, when you have an operating system that can improve in other ways, you're taking the easy way out. And an easy way that will hurt vulnerable people, and believe me does nothing but hurt the situation
Why are you comparing drug use to slavery? Slavery transmogrifies a man into cattle for cheap labor while pot is a stimulant.
__________________
Final Flourish is offline  
Old 03-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #10
SegaSlayer33
Finishing the Fight
Points: 21,468, Level: 92
Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92 Points: 21,468, Level: 92
User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x SNES Controller
 
SegaSlayer33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,232

My Mood: Thinking
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 40
SegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enoughSegaSlayer33 will become famous soon enough


Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 3

PSN ID: Get your own Xbox Live Gamertag: Get your own
the comparison is based on the moral issues of the decision
__________________


To see an index of my review, click here
Latest review: Ristar
SegaSlayer33 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
drugs, pot, smoke weed err'day, socialism


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Marijuana Thread Ender Debate Forum 107 03-18-2009 03:51 PM

NFF Youtube Videos NFF Facebook page

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Nintendo Blog

Nintendofanforum.com is a Nintendo fansite and is not associated with or endorsed by Nintendo of America, Inc.
All trademarks and images belong to their respective owners.
Nintendo Wii