Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Microsoft Xbox

Notices

Microsoft Xbox Post anything relating to Microsoft Xbox and Xbox One.

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Gareth

Xbox 360 is starting to die

After about 2 years my xbox is finally starting to die, i've kept my xbox at a very good condition to avoid all the regular errors such as red ring/e74 etc. I think my xbox is soon to be giving me an open tray error. When i put a disk in, occasionally it will say open tray. Opening and closing the tray a few times and the disk will work. It's not just any one disk either its quite a few. It's leading me to believe the laser is either extremely dusty or starting to burn out.

I'm considering selling/trading it in before it dies. Maybe it's just a simple fix and i should reconsider but i've been thinking of moving consoles for a while.

My real question is what do i do? i've been thinking of getting a ps3 but i don't think i'll have enough to get one. I'm considering selling my xbox on ebay (with no returns, im such an asshole) and then saving towards a ps3 with the proceedings.

If i do get a ps3, i'll probly look towards a 60GB for the backward compatability as i love the ps2 libary (used to be a huge sony fanboy)

Bottom line - Who thinks i should trade in, what kind of prices do you think i could get + anybody have any suggestions?

EDIT:
Thought maybe i should include what i have with my 360 so you can give a general price better lol.

Xbox 360 Elite (20GB Hardrive though)
All Cables
Wireless Network Adapter
2 Controllers (1 white, 1 black)
1 Microphone
Games -
Borderlands
GTA IV (Complete edition;Both dlcs)
Dragon Age Origins (Ultimate Edition)
Left 4 Dead 2
Super Street Fighter IV
Street Fighter IV
Halo Reach
Halo 3 ODST
Dead Rising 2
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
X Blades
Guilty Gears 2 : Overture
Sega Superstars Tennis
Tekken 6
Castlevania: Lords of shadow
Gears of war
Shadowrun
Halo Wars
Call of duty World at war
Two worlds
Splintercell Double Agent
Soldier of fortune Paypack
Fight night round 3
Resident Evil 5
Fable II GOTY
Far Cry 2
Fuzion Frenzy 2
Oblivion GOTY
Naruto rise of a ninja
Naruto Broken bond
Smackdown vs raw 2007
Batman arkham asylum
Soul Calibur IV
Blazblue Clammity Trigger (LE)

Last edited by Gareth; 04-03-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
SirManguydude
LoZ Expert
Points: 11,073, Level: 69 Points: 11,073, Level: 69 Points: 11,073, Level: 69
User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Earth Element User owns 1x Mirror Shield User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Fire Element User owns 1x Master Sword
User owns 1x Heart Tank User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Black Belt

My Mood: Lonely
SirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Royalty Super Member Good Grammar Award Yoshi Signature of the Month Banner of the Month 
Total Awards: 12

Frankly, trading in order to get a PS3 is a waste. While the PS3 may have a few good games, their library of good titles does not match that of the 360.

A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
Zero
8-bit Roots
Points: 3,464, Level: 36 Points: 3,464, Level: 36 Points: 3,464, Level: 36
User owns 1x Poke Ball User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo DS
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote

My Mood: Amused
Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Poster Super Member Royalty 
Total Awards: 4

^ That argument is old, tired, and became false years ago. Your logic is outdated.

...And just so you know, Gareth, there is no such thing as "No Returns" on eBay. You can list is as such, but if you falsely describe the condition of the system (read: fail to mention the disc tray issue) then the buyer will simply file a claim against you via PayPal... at which time they will freeze your account and literally take the money back from you if you don't opt to refund it willingly. And you'll more than likely receive negative feedback on top of that.

And never trade-in games at GameStop or elsewhere, you'll always come out ahead by selling them on eBay. Given what most of those games go for on eBay you should get enough to buy a PS3 just from those alone, provided that you sell them all individually and that they're in good shape and complete. Zero would recommend that you describe the system itself accurately --you'll still get something for it-- then sell whatever hardware accessories you have for it separately.

-Zero, Proud owner of The Nintendo Cereal System
Old 04-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 57,375, Level: 100 Points: 57,375, Level: 100 Points: 57,375, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
With that many game invested, it would be cheaper to replace the console.

Check me out on Facebook!
Like action figures? Click here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Old 04-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
Gareth

See i would re-invest, but killzone 3 & Metal Gear 4 and other great titles are drawing me towards the ps3. On top of that, i'd hate to go through this all over again a few months/years down the line, considering ps3 has a next to no failure rate and they don't charge me for live (which i've almost run out) It seems like the best option. Not to mention the ps2 replay (i <3 ps2)

Old 04-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
Lukario
Soft Edge
Points: 12,184, Level: 72 Points: 12,184, Level: 72 Points: 12,184, Level: 72

Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 
Total Awards: 10

The only problem is sending the console in for an open tray error will cost $125 USD. I know because my console has the same problem and that is what I was quoted. The rates may be different in other countries, so to be certain I would ring up their support line and ask them.

I am not going to tell you what to do because my opinion is heavily biased towards Xbox 360. Make your own decision based on financial viability and what games you like to play.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
Gareth

I looked the prices up at CeX (Englands Gamestop) they have their trade in prices online.

For the games alone i can get
125 cash or 171 trade in.

Ps3 60GB (Unboxed) is 190 from CeX. If i include the trade in value of the 360 + accessories (controllers etc) It's easily enough. Although with bills recently i'm abit low on cash. So including actual cash to throw in, i'm probably only going to be able 5 or so games. Which i know sounds extremely low. But these 5 could easily be great games (KZ3,MGS4,LBP,GoW3,Fallout etc)

Old 04-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #8
Zero
8-bit Roots
Points: 3,464, Level: 36 Points: 3,464, Level: 36 Points: 3,464, Level: 36
User owns 1x Poke Ball User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo DS
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote

My Mood: Amused
Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Poster Super Member Royalty 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
So including actual cash to throw in, i'm probably only going to be able 5 or so games. Which i know sounds extremely low. But these 5 could easily be great games (KZ3,MGS4,LBP,GoW3,Fallout etc)
Just play those one at a time and when you're done with 'em you'll probably be in a position to buy new games.

...You could get a lot more than that on eBay, though, even considering eBay fee's. Sorry, Zero is very anti-GameStop when it comes to trade-ins.

-Zero, Proud owner of The Nintendo Cereal System
Old 04-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
Rin
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 39,277, Level: 100 Points: 39,277, Level: 100 Points: 39,277, Level: 100

Rin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Level 100 Award Member of the Month Monster Poster Yoshi Poster 
Total Awards: 7

Depending on how many of those games you actually play, I might just sell it all and go for the PS3. Lately, the exclusives/free online have made it very attractive overall.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
SirManguydude
LoZ Expert
Points: 11,073, Level: 69 Points: 11,073, Level: 69 Points: 11,073, Level: 69
User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Earth Element User owns 1x Mirror Shield User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Fire Element User owns 1x Master Sword
User owns 1x Heart Tank User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Black Belt

My Mood: Lonely
SirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Royalty Super Member Good Grammar Award Yoshi Signature of the Month Banner of the Month 
Total Awards: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
^ That argument is old, tired, and became false years ago. Your logic is outdated.
Name a handful, I can name a rack or two full of quality Xbox Exclusives.

Also if you play online a lot, no point getting a PS3. The servers are horrid, though that is why they are trying to get people to buy the PSN Plus so as to service them. Nothing like having PSN go offline for maintenance and you come back to having no trophies, or save files corrupted.

A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit.

Closed Thread