Lucario  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Speed Freaks/Punks
Speed Freaks/Punks
Published by AlexTheGamer1000
04-08-2011
Author review
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
30%30%30%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 70%
Star Man Speed Freaks/Punks

Speed Punks (Speed Freaks in Europe) is a kart racing game developed for the Sony PlayStation by European video game company Funcom in 1999 at its Dublin, Ireland office. Also involved with the development of the game is the SD Team, a group of European stunt drivers. It took two years for Funcom and the SD Team to create the game, with its work-in-progess names being "Project SDR" and "Wheelnuts". The game was first released in the United Kingdom in September 1999, and in the United States on April 18th 2000. The character design is reminiscent of Rayman, just to let you guys know. There were six available characters and three unlockable ones. Gameplay modes include Single Race, Tournament, VS Mode, Time Trial, and Multiplayer. You can race against up to three others in Multiplayer with the Playstation multitap accessory.

Edit (4/10/11): here are the controls

X Button: Acceleration
Square Button: Brakes
Triangle Button: Change Camera View
D-Pad: Steer
R1 or L1: Power Skid (for getting through turns more effectively)
R2: Use Boost (see power-ups)
L2: Use Power-Up (see power-ups)

now for

Power-ups that you can get and use during the race
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Basic Missile: Fires in a straight path and stuns an enemy racer on impact. It can be fired backwards with L2+Down

Triple Basic Missile: Three times worse than the regular Basic Missile, as it fires a three way missile blast. Useful for getting at multiple racers at once. Can also be fired backwards with L2+Down.

Machine Gun: A multi-barreled chain gun with eight rounds. To use it effectively, you'll have to lock on, then fire. Usually, four rounds are enough to stun your opponent, but all eight rounds work as well! Like the Basic Missile, and it's Triple variant, it can be fired backwards with L2+Down.

Homing Missile: Also known as a Finder Fish, this opponent-chasing missile rockets towards the nearest racer. Be careful, if someone else is using one, act fast! A good way to counter-manuver this missile is to power skid at the right time, if you've been doing a lot of cornering. Another good way to prevent from getting hit by it, is to lay a bomb in its path at the right time. Using an invisibility power-up works too. It cannot be fired backwards, however.

Slime: Leave behind a slick of this slippery green goop, and if your opponent drives over it, they'll spin out and be slown down. Be warned, you could end up using your own slime slick against you, and also ones laid out by your opponents. You can use the invisibility power-up to counter it, too.

Bomb: Leave behind one of these explosives, and if a drive goes into the danger zone (represented by a red circle surrounding the bomb), KA-BLOOEY! If you hold L2 when you lay a bomb, you could make it like a remote-detonated bomb. To make it go boom, press L2 again.

Winged Bomb: This power-up is only available in the multi-player racers. Flies into the path of the race leader.

Tire Pop: One of the rarer power-ups, this little number makes your opponents tires inflate so much, they pop, the force sending the drivers flying straight up and back onto the ground. Beware for someone using this power-up! If you see your kart's tires inflating beyond its normal size, act fast! To deflate the tires before they go pop, rapidly press the X button. Another method of counteracting the Tire Pop, is to use an invisibility power-up.

Shockwave: This shockingly useful power-up fires a powerful rainbow-colored arc of electricity along the path of the track, giving all in its path a nasty shock. Not only that, it erases on-hand power-ups and Speed Boost enegy. If someone else is using it, however, get to the side of the track and quickly! The invisibility power-up is useful, too, against it.

Invisibility: Can turn you invisible for a while, and invincible, too, against any of the offensive power-ups. You can use it to stun enemy drivers as you swipe their Speed Boost tokens.

notes:
. When you have a power-up on hand and you drive into an item box, there are three possibilities:
1. you can an item different than the one on hand, and you can either ignore it, or use the item on hand to get the next one.
2. you get the same kind of power-up as the one on hand, you get a sort of ammo reserve. you can get up to three of the same kind of power-up, 3. But hey, you get get three of the same kind of power-up at once as the one on hand and they merge.

Speed Boost tokens: These hexagonal things with the lightning bolt on them are usually found on the tracks in rows. You can collect up to 10 Speed Boost tokens to fill up the boost guage. To boost, use the R2 button.

Max Speed Boost: This yellow-colored variation of the Speed Boost token fills up your boost guage completely upon aquisition. There's one on every track. They sometimes show up in item boxes, too.

edit (4/11/11): About the plot. There's not too much of a plot, but there is one thing for sure: the characters are wacky! The Speed Punks are group of kids who race in go-kart races. Three of the members are drop-outs, one of them's a boy genius, two more are schoolyard bullies, another one's a Japanese exchange student, yet another one's a spoiled brat, still another one's a dog, and lastly there's a racing robot created by the boy genius.
Published by
Former Idiot
AlexTheGamer1000 is on a distinguished road
Sponsored Links
By AlexTheGamer1000 on 04-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
30%30%30%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 70%
I would like some comments, please
By Nintenduendo on 04-11-2011, 01:36 AM
Ooh, getting a bit demanding now, aren't we?
So basically this review is a recap on how to use items? Hm.
By Megas75 on 04-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Story if any? Are the controls any good? Good presentation? Music/graphics decent enough? Are there any good features?
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-11-2011, 02:20 AM
This is not even a review at all....
By AlexTheGamer1000 on 04-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
30%30%30%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 70%
I'm so sorry, this is my first review on this site. I'll be sure to rate it sometime when I edit it. the controls are

L1/R1: Power Skid
R2: Speed Boost
L2: Fire Weapon

and just to let you know, the tracks, and the characters in the game were rendered in-game using 3Dsmax.

also, the Jamiroquai song, "Travelling Without Moving" is featured in the game's opening sequence
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheGamer1000 View Post
I'm so sorry, this is my first review on this site. I'll be sure to rate it sometime when I edit it. the controls are

L1/R1: Power Skid
R2: Speed Boost
L2: Fire Weapon

and just to let you know, the tracks, and the characters in the game were rendered in-game using 3Dsmax.

also, the Jamiroquai song, "Travelling Without Moving" is featured in the game's opening sequence
You aren't hearing us. This is not in any way, shape, or form something that even remotely resembles the review of a video game. It's not about slapping a rating on it. saying "8 out of 10" doesn't make it a review. Read other reviews on the site, and learn from them. Got a Gameinformer or Nintendo Power subscriptions? Read those reviews too!
By AlexTheGamer1000 on 04-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
30%30%30%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 70%
again I apologize, and I wanted to post a link to a youtube video of the game for you guys to see, but I'm almost 15 days into my membership of this forum so I can't do so yet
By Colorful CrAzYoNzZ on 04-13-2011, 10:21 PM
A youtube video won't make the review any better. Like SGC said, you should look at other reviews and learn from them. I believe there is a thread that gives pointers on how to write a good review, it helped me out ALOT when I first started writing them.Maybe you should check it out. We aren't trying to be mean or anything, just trying to help you along.
By AlexTheGamer1000 on 04-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Member reviews
Graphics
90%90%90%
Storyline
30%30%30%
Controls/Gameplay
80%80%80%
Sound
80%80%80%
Average 70%
yet I have percieved people like SuperGamecube64 as threats to my king-sized ego! Real stupid of me!
Comment