Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Post away about anything in general just remember no content that would fit in other sections.

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 02:14 AM   #1
Dr. Jekyll
A STRANGE CASE OF...
Points: 4,260, Level: 41 Points: 4,260, Level: 41 Points: 4,260, Level: 41
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii

My Mood: Cynical
Dr. Jekyll is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
Royalty 
Total Awards: 1

Your Favorite Books?

1984: I love the way George Orwell displayed a very realistic dystopia life in England, I believe. The words are wonderful and helps capture the essence that you are really in this dreadful world.

Black Boy: This is a true story about a black boy growing up in a extremely racist enviroment. He's also a boy who has a dream, a dream to write, and to be different from many other black people at the time. I highly recommend this book. It is by Richard Wright.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian:
First I would like to say that I loved this book. Loved it. It's heart warming, it lets you realize things, got a great sense of humor, and most of all; It makes you want more. This is a book for teens, but I believe anyone would like this one, that's how good this book is to me. By Sherman Alexie

So.. What are your favorite books guys?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
Spirit
Points: 1,866, Level: 25 Points: 1,866, Level: 25 Points: 1,866, Level: 25
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather

My Mood: Angelic
Spirit is on a distinguished road

I love books, I have quite a few favorites, I'll dish out 5 of mine, here goes:

1. The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield - Contains secrets that are currently changing our world. It shows you how to make connections between the events happening in your own life right now. Its a good journey

2. A Tale of Two Brothers (Jim Morrison & Michael Hutchence) by Jacqueline Murray - Its a book that channels Jim Morrison of the Doors, and Michael Hutchence of INXS, very good read in my opinion, gives you a clue of the afterlife

3. Conversations with God series by Neale Donald Walsch - A good dialogue with the higher self. He is having conversations with god or a higher being

4. Talking to Heaven by James Van Praagh - a good book where a medium, Van Praagh, talks about the other side, it confirms a spiritual world, and gives inspiration and eliminates the fear of death.

5. When Ghosts Speak by Mary Ann Winkowski - If you like the TV Series Ghost Whisperer you'll like this book. Whether were aware of them or not, ghosts are always among us, and they have been a part of Mary Ann's life since childhood. She has a great gift to see ghosts all around.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
Linkage
Points: 1,648, Level: 23 Points: 1,648, Level: 23 Points: 1,648, Level: 23
User owns 1x Rupee Bag

My Mood: Lurking
Linkage is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty 
Total Awards: 2

Can't remember the last time I read a book. HAHAHAHAHAH
Old 08-02-2008, 12:59 AM   #4
Shrukain22
Game Reviewer
Points: 417, Level: 8 Points: 417, Level: 8 Points: 417, Level: 8

Shrukain22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I read far too many books for my own good. Here's just a few of my favorite series/books, not in any real order.

1. The Inheritance Trilogy by Christopher Paulini
You've probably heard of the first book in it, Eragon. Both books out so far are very detailed, quite long, but really enjoyable. It's actually been announced to be a quadruplet now, but it keeps the Trilogy name, I guess because it sounds better. Both books are really good for re-reads.

2. Inkheart and Inkspell by Cornelia Funke
These books are quite the read, as they bring you in-depth into their own world, with immersive characters and am intracate plot. A bit younger aim, but still pretty enjoyable

3. The Septimus Heap trilogy by Angie Sage
What I'm currently reading now, and quite the "Magykal" experience
Woah, I Wiki'd it to check the authors name, and apperantly a new book, Queste, was released a couple months ago, cool. Anyway, they're good books, just trust me, and they leave you wanting more

Well, that's quite a lot from me, so I'll see you later everybody in this thread

Old 08-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Dr. Jekyll
A STRANGE CASE OF...
Points: 4,260, Level: 41 Points: 4,260, Level: 41 Points: 4,260, Level: 41
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii

My Mood: Cynical
Dr. Jekyll is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase
Royalty 
Total Awards: 1

I forgot about The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn! D:
Old 08-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
Artoo
Points: 412, Level: 8 Points: 412, Level: 8 Points: 412, Level: 8

Artoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkage View Post
Can't remember the last time I read a book. HAHAHAHAHAH
Same here lol
Old 08-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
Luigi08
Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16

Luigi08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im not a reader, school is where the only place i basically read. Although sundays I read at church, aswell bible a quite a few times of the week. Still reading was never my strongest point, I read because my parents obligate me. Its a pain really...
Old 08-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #8
zombiehop
Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1

zombiehop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrukain22 View Post
3. The Septimus Heap trilogy by Angie Sage
What I'm currently reading now, and quite the "Magykal" experience
Woah, I Wiki'd it to check the authors name, and apperantly a new book, Queste, was released a couple months ago, cool. Anyway, they're good books, just trust me, and they leave you wanting more
I've read them! Absolutely loved Magyk, and I've enjoyed the others since, but in my opinion they've been getting worse. Mentioned them in passing in a conversation with my friend though and turned out she knew the author! She had signed versions of the first three books - didn't stop me managing to get hold of Queste before her though! Turns out the author's planning to do seven books in total, which is to be expected with the whole 'seven' theme I guess.

I'm obsessed with fantasy books, so I've read Eragon, but I'm not so much a dragon - person. I thought about giving the sequels a go but never really got around to it. Do you think they get better or worse than the first?
I've read Trudi Canavan's 'Black Magician' trilogy and her 'Age of the Five' trilogy, as well as William Nicholson's 'Wind on Fire' trilogy, and they'd all probably rate amongst my favourite books.

Currently reading Jane Eyre at the moment, which is completely different to the books I normally read, but I thought I'd give it a chance because I've seen a couple of tv/film productions of it and enjoyed them. It's kind of boring though, I think I might give up on it soon...

Last edited by zombiehop; 08-07-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:38 AM   #9
Ender
Don't mess wif him
Points: 3,031, Level: 33 Points: 3,031, Level: 33 Points: 3,031, Level: 33
User owns 1x Cucoo User owns 1x Tanooki Suit

My Mood: Nerdy
Ender is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the roughEnder is a jewel in the rough

Awards Showcase
NFF 1st Annual Award NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 2

Xbox Live Gamertag: batmanbirdboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll View Post
I forgot about The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn! D:
This was a terrible book! So dry!
And don't start on me about the whole "it's a classic" thing, cause there are a ton of classics that are far superior...like Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men, or Salinger's Franny and Zooey or Catcher in the Rye.

My favorite books would have to be...

Ender's Game, Speaker For the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card (The Ender Saga)
These were simply the most amazing and realistic science fiction books I have ever read. I can read them over and over.

Misquoting Jesus by Bart D. Ehrman (non-fiction)
The most eye opening book I have ever read, it is about the inaccuracies and tampering in the Bible throughout the years, written by a professor of textual criticism and former bible study scholar. He shows how many versions of the Bible there have been throughout the years, which stories were added long after it was originally written, and how little we actually have of the "original" texts.

Survivor, Fight Club, Choke, and Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
All of these books are different in plot, but very similar in the hypnotic way Chuck strings his sentences together. Violent, satirical, and brutally funny, Chuck tells stories about a Creedish death cult member who becomes the new celebrity messiah (Survivor), a story about a man who creates a new way of dealing with his insomnia (Fight Club), one where a sex addict tries to make extra money to pay for his mom's medical bills by choking in restaurants and recieving gifts from the people who save him (Choke), and an ex-fashion model who has half a face, and makes her way across the country with her transsexual counterpart (Invisible Monsters).
All of his books I have read several times, and he's done some of the most unique writing out there.

I recommend all of these. Great Books.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
Cloud7
Silent Lurker
Points: 4,527, Level: 42 Points: 4,527, Level: 42 Points: 4,527, Level: 42
User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Master Sword

My Mood: Aggressive
Cloud7 will become famous soon enoughCloud7 will become famous soon enough

Awards Showcase
Royalty NFF Radio Award Signature of the Month Sheriff Game Reviewer NFF Artist 
Total Awards: 6

the Lost years of Merlin series! FTW!!

Thanks Skreamo for the sig!
Closed Thread

Tags
favorite books