Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Pokemon Crystal Version
Pokemon Crystal Version
Gotta catch 'em all!
Published by Colorful CrAzYoNzZ
04-14-2011
Author review
Graphics
80%80%80%
Storyline
85%85%85%
Controls/Gameplay
90%90%90%
Sound
75%75%75%
Average 83%
Pikachu Pokemon Crystal Version

Gold and Silver versions were a big hit with Pokemon fans and Gamers all over the world at their release, being the second installment in the pokemon collection. They offered the brand-new Johto 2nd Generation set of pokemon, and a whole new world to explore. At the time, what could be better?

Then came Pokemon Crystal Version. This version was a remake of the GS games, with some pretty cool added benefits. I always liked the remakes of each series, such as Yellow and Emerald, but this one takes the cake as my favorite of all time.

First of all, the story is simple. You have to catch and raise pokemon to complete the pokedex while beating the eight gym leaders to qualify to participate in the Johto league and defeat the Elite Four to take the title as Champ. Itís not easy, do you have what it takes to be a Pokemon Master?

The music was expectant of other games of the time, exactly the same as Gold or Silver. Nothing much changed here. I kind of enjoy the music in this game, even though it isnít as good as more recent versions.
The little pixilated graphics are the same, and also expected from a game of this time. They were improved from Gold or Silver, but only by a small bit. Still, I enjoyed the few changes in the graphics, it made the game feel newer.

As for the cool things they remade in Crystal, the one that you will probably notice first is that Crystal version is the first-ever game where you can choose a female player. For the female fans, this was an awesome change. In the past, by default you were a male player. I suppose Nintendo realized that girls got into pokemon, too.

Another shocking addition was that the pokemon sprites have movements! When you encounter a pokemon, it has a short introductory animation while it gives its cry in battle. For Pidgey, it flaps its wings and moves its beak. For Rattata, it lunges forward and wags its tail. I absolutely loved this feature in the game.

Another addition was the Battle Tower, to the north of Route 40. The Battle Tower was a feature where you can battle seven trainers in a row under a certain set of rules to receive prizes. It can be fun, but I found the battlers there to be difficult to defeat.

There are several other changes, some minor and some noticeable. Some pokemon that were exclusive to either Gold or Silver appear here, some that appeared in GS are not even seen in this game. Overall, I think the game was a huge step-up, and by far my favorite pokemon game ever in the entire series. No matter what kind of pokemon they create in the future, I will always regard Pokemon Crystal Version as the best of them all.
Published by
Pink Pearl Voice
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Colorful CrAzYoNzZ
Sponsored Links
By Final Flourish on 04-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Ah yes, I remember this game. It may not have seemed like it, but pokemon moving at the start of battle was a very big deal.
I regret misplacing this and ruby.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 04-16-2011, 12:37 AM
We had this for a very short time until my brother felt bad that my other brother's friend lost their copy of crystal, so my oldest brother gave our copy to him. Never got to play it.
By AlexTheGamer1000 on 04-24-2011, 05:45 PM
my sister has been looking for that game for years
By Rai17 on 06-19-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm about to play this game for the first time, thank you!
Comment

Tags
crystal, gameboy color, pokemon