Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Kid Icarus
Kid Icarus
by Brandyn Johnson
Published by Brandyn
04-14-2011
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Thumbs up Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus is a curious case. Kid Icarus is the sister game to the original Metroid. They were developed alongside each other on the same engine. In the United States, they were released on the same day. However, Metroid completely overshadowed Kid Icarus. The only sequel was made on the original Game Boy entitled, Kid Icarus: Of Myth and Monsters. Alas, Pit's career seemed like it was over before it started.

Recently however, Nintendo announced a new Kid Icarus game coming to the 3DS! This one will be Kid Icarus: Uprising. This is happening much to the joy of fans of the original games, and it gives fans of other Nintendo franchises hope. It shows that no Nintendo franchise is truly dead, and that a new F-Zero will happen eventually. Kid Icarus is available on the NES, and Virtual Console for 500 points.

You control an angel named Pit who must rise up from the underworld and rescue the Goddess of Light Palutena from the evil deity Medusa. Pretty standard for a Nintendo game, but it works. Not too shabby or trying to hard, so the story is good. If for some reason you need a refresher as to who Pit is, "HIYAYAYAAAAAA" should ring a bell.

Controls are simplistic, like Metroid it's sort of like a standard "run-n'-gun" game when it comes to how you dispose of enemies.You have an infinite supply of arrows at your disposal. You can obtain power-ups along the way.

The one thing this game should be noted for is difficulty. You'll definately have some issues clearing world one on your first run, the game is not easy at all really. Pit's endurance at first is not really excellent, and despite having wings, Pit cannot fly (save for the last level). You surely would not want to incorrectly calculate a jump. Seriously though, this game can make you cry. Well, I suppose that's a bit of a hyperbole. If you're an experienced hardcore gamer who's tangled with the likes of Contra and Final Fight, then you should not have significant issues conquering Kid Icarus. It will take some getting used to, but I started getting real good....eventually. In fact, Contra is a great game to compare because like it, you have to be a sharp shooter, always focused, and you have to memorize the levels to know what will happen in advance because you will fall into traps the first time around.

I would also say this is a good game if you're a Legend of Zelda fan. Why? Well if you like dungeons, this is your game! In fact, these labyrinths seem hair-pullingly unthinkably difficult without a walkthrough or giant map of it with the correct path highlighted. Call me an amateur, but trust me, if you want to challenge yourself try completing a Kid Icarus dungeon without a walkthrough. It's doable on Zelda, but here....good luck. Of course, I understand this was back in the days before Internet walkthroughs, and those players had to do it. In all seriousness, it's doable, but very difficult due to the vast largeness of the dungeons compared to Zelda. This paired with the difficulty makes the recipe for a challening game, but an enjoyable one nevertheless.

Graphically, the game is pretty decent for NES standards. It has some cool sprites and good colors.

The music is also good on the ears. Wonderful melodies seem a bit ahead of alot of the other 8 bit games of the era. So much so that for the Kid Icarus stage in Brawl, I actually prefer the original medley.

There really is not too much to say, as it is a simple game with a simple goal. It met a tragic fate, but that fate has turned around. Thanks to Super Smash Bros Brawl for renewing interest in Kid Icarus, and introducing it to a youngster like me. If you're looking for a retro game with some good challenge to it that's a little different from the ordinary, here it is.

Overall grade: B
Published by
The Gentleman
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn
Sponsored Links
By Final Flourish on 04-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Pretty good review.
By NommyNommy on 04-16-2011, 12:27 AM
did you play this on an emulator?

thats what im guessing.
By Nintenduendo on 04-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Well-written review. I would've saved the opening two paragraphs until the end, in my opinion. Nevertheless, it's a very informative review.
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Not bad at all.
By Brandyn on 04-16-2011, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NommyNommy View Post
did you play this on an emulator?

thats what im guessing.
No, I downloaded it to my Wii from Virtual Console.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
By Megas75 on 04-16-2011, 02:15 AM
I should probably buy this game soon, never saw it's greatness, but I loved playing it for the time I did
By Brandyn on 04-16-2011, 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megas75 View Post
I should probably buy this game soon, never saw it's greatness, but I loved playing it for the time I did
You should. It was only 500 points on Virtual Console on the Wii. I don't know how rare the cartridge is though, so I thank goodness for VC. The only problem with the VC version is that you cannot use the password save. Yes this is the type of game little kids would not really appreciate, probably for its difficulty. As you get older though, you realize challenge is good, and that the game is a classic. Of course, I would not have really known about it if not for Smash Bros., but that's because this game was before my time, and it was so obscure nobody ever talked about it. As aforementioned...it was completely overshadowed by Metroid.
By Nights on 04-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Very nice review!!!!! I love it
By Brandyn on 04-17-2011, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nights View Post
Very nice review!!!!! I love it
Thank you, it's good to be back in the business.
Comment

Tags
kid icarus, medusa, nes, palutena, pit