Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Articles

Notices

Member Articles Members Articles

Comment

Article Tools
The explanation behind Pokemon Designs.
The explanation behind Pokemon Designs.
Wrong Forum Bro does the unthinkable: He thinks.
Published by Final Flourish
04-20-2011
Pikachu The explanation behind Pokemon Designs.

We know Pokemon today as a turn-base RPG, in which the player takes possession of cute snuggle-able monsters. However, over the years the players have encountered an array of odd and strange Pokemon that don’t “blend” in with the rest. “They dun goofed” or “The devs got lazy” and maybe even “They didn’t need to do that” are what you would find to be the most common responses from players who have encountered these Pokemon. There are other Pokemons, however, that can easily be passed off as just generic Pokemon, but they carry something within their appearance and naming that conveys humor and wisdom from the devs. These pokemon, in their true nature, carry puns, references, myths, expressions, deities and even jokes. While the majority of players will most likely find these pokemon to be just normal Pokemon, a few who have analyzed these Pokemon thoroughly will understand what the clever devs were trying to express in their work. Nintendo decided to give the various Pokémon species "clever and descriptive names" related to their appearance. In this article I will be taking a few of these Pokemon and explaining their significance allegorically in chronological order by generations. I won’t be including ALL of the Pokemon, but I’ll be including enough to get you thinking. I might even add some more when I lay off the Lazy-Aid. Yeah, bad joke, deal with it.

Ninetales
Let’s start with an easy one. One you are probably well familiar of; Ninetales. Ninetales, also known as the fox Pokémon, is a yellow nine-tailed fox based on the kitsune, a Japanese fox spirit. A Kitsune is said to possess incredible cosmic powers in its tails. This is shown in the Pokemon, who while having only having fire typing, can learn psychic moves as well.

The next two Pokemon were actually the second pokemon I figured out. Naruto ruined ninetales for me.

Gyarados
Gyarados is a large serpent Pokémon, resembling the Nagas seen in Chinese mythology. The rest I personally know from reading books. Gyarados is based on the angry Naga, whose face was cursed to forever hold the expression of a ferocious man in pain. The Naga was known to cause destruction upon sailors who dared venture close into a type of storm or heavy rain, in which a Naga usually resided in. This much is shown in Pokemon Gold, Silver and Crystal, as well as the remakes. I actually knew the exact name of the Chinese Naga that Gyarados is based on, but I misplaced the book that showed it ages ago. You probably don’t care, but it hurts me, broski.

Magikarp-karp-karp
Magikarp is the direct parody of Gyarados’ design. Its face is also seen to constantly keep the same expression like Gyarados. However, Magikarp’s expression leads trainers to discern that it is rather dimwitted; a trait that proves complementary when sided with his uselessness in battle. They are normally seen using Splash, which is unusual, as it makes them easy targets for predators. Despite how pathetic Magikarp is portrayed in both battle and appearance, it is known to utilize its power of splashing to jump mountains. This is also seen in Nintendo64 game “Pokesnap”, where the photographer triggers the Magikarp to make an enormous splash that propels it over a mountain. Unfortunately, this strength is not displayed in battle. Oh Magikarp.

Geodude
Geodude, a rock pokemon most commonly found in caves annoying the hell out of Trainers who are just passing by a cave. I’ll be perfectly honest with this one; I had to use ask wiki and search engines to help me with this guy. Geodude is based on a dude. He's based on Jeff Bridge's character in “The Big Lebowski”. He also appeares to levitate in both the anime and in Pokemon stadium games. So he's a rock that levitates. Pokemon logic ftw.

Farfetch'd
Fearow and Pidgeot roamed the lands of Kanto, along with other flying Pokemon. Persnickety trainers had to pick and choose the best of the best. As the trainers went home with their newly caught bird Pokemon guess what pokemon were fortunate enough to be taken on an adventure full of exciting battles and challenges, certainly not Farfetch’d. Farfetch’d was sure to bewilder any western trainer, what with its terrible stats and goofy name. To American and European trainers alike, Farfetch’d was an exemplification of the devs getting lazy with their pokemon design. What early American and European trainers didn’t knowwas that Farfetch’d’s Japanese name was Kamonegi . Farfetch’d’s name comes from the word "farfetched", while the origin of its design is from a Japanese joke; in Japan, Kamonegi is a noodle dish of duck and spring onions. Farfetch'd is based on the Japanese story of a "duck who goes to get an onion for somebody preparing a meal, only to be thanked for his kindness by being cooked up along with the vegetable he procured". So here lies the tomb of Farfetch’d, one of many Pokémon who were conjured up by the devs only to express a joke at the expense of a Pokémon.

Meowth
Meowth's design was inspired by the Japanese good luck charm "Maneki Neko", which is said to bring good fortune to its owner. This is also true ingame, as trainers who possess a Meowth will be spamming its signature move “Pay day", a move that grants the trainer Pokemon money.

Elgyem
Elgyem is a phonetic spelling of LGM, meaning "little green men". “Little green men” is a term used to refer to the stereotypical portrayal of extraterrestrials as little humanoid-like creatures with green skin and/or antennae on their heads. Elgyem is shown to have parallel characteristics of alien portrayed on the media, with its big head and lit up fingers.

Eelektross
Now, a pokemon that you current pokemon trainers are sure to be well aware of. If you’ve seen it, or caught it, you were pumping your fist to the sky raging at the godly Pokemon devs, asking them why they’d have to be so lazy and **** up on this perfectly good pokemon. Despite the fact that Eelektross is the Electric Fish Pokémon with the levitate ability, it lacks a water typing and hops up and down on feet like appendages, instead of floating as if it is swimming like other fish pokemon. An angry trainer enraged by the ridiculous flopping of Eelektross might make the conclusion that the devs ****ed up horrifically. Why is it that a/an fish/eel who boasts the ability “levitate” is seen flopping up and down with its two tiny fins? If you haven’t seen Eelektross' animation, then you most likely have no idea what I’m talking about. But for those who have surely know it’s a ridiculous sight. But did the devs actually slip up? Why is it that in the Pokemon’s animation it draws so much attention to its feet? The devs could have just as easily decided a different animation, but no, they went with that one. No other land-based pokemon has ever jumped around that ridiculously in battle, so why this fish/eel pokemon who is supposedly levitating? Eelektross, you see, is trying to tell us something. Although, the form of expression is a dubious one, one that has not been attempted before, Eelektross definitely isn’t a blunder. It means something. However, the message this Pokemon is trying to convey is unclear and has yet to be discerned by anyone, including myself.

But these questions are the questions all trainers should be asking themselves: “Why is this Pokémon named this” or “Why does this Pokémon look like that?”. Make it your job to know what the allegorical meaning behind these pokemon are. And don’t just go to Wiki to look up these things. Because Tbh, Wiki only explained Nintetale’s and geodude’s allegorical significance, the rest are derived from years of being a bookworm. Anyway, this my first article ever..so

FEEDBACK IS NEEDED.
Published by
Light Grenade
Final Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to behold

Article Tools
Sponsored Links
By Keyman4 on 04-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Nice article here
By Final Flourish on 04-23-2011, 12:04 AM
Wooh! Finally.
Thanks SuperGamebroski.
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-23-2011, 02:03 PM
This is honestly one of the best articles i have ever read on NFF. It is extremely interesting, and I wish everyone's articles, including mine, were of this caliber.
By Mr. Hudson on 05-13-2011, 11:36 AM
I love it
Makes me want my DS back and Pokemon White
By Faust on 05-15-2011, 01:07 AM
I think Elecktross is a cross between a flying fish and an electric eel, however it's body design is reminiscent of various drawings of mythological fish monsters. Such as these:

http://www.tomlytle.com/SeaSerpents.htm
By Final Flourish on 05-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
I think Elecktross is a cross between a flying fish and an electric eel, however it's body design is reminiscent of various drawings of mythological fish monsters. Such as these:

http://www.tomlytle.com/SeaSerpents.htm
The mythological monsters in that link seem to illustrate the ability to move on land, which could explain why Eelektross is standing on his feet/fins. Tbh I hope there's more to it. Thanks for the link, though. It's interesting.
By Mario on 06-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Good caliber article right here.
By Rai17 on 12-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Awesome article, hope there's a part two to it! :3
By Nights on 12-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Love it, hope you keep making these articles. :P
Comment

Tags
allegoric, bro, explanation, farfetch'd, pokemon