Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo DS Reviews

Notices

Nintendo DS Reviews Section for all Nintendo DS and DSI Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Pokemon White
Pokemon White
Keyman4
Published by Keyman4
04-23-2011
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Pokemon White

Editors Note: Pokemon White and Black are very similar games but both contain some notable differences including White Forest in White and Black City in Black and version exclusive Pokemon. However, Keyman opted for White specifically for Zekrom (the Pokemon on the cover of White) and the White Forest. If you got a problem with that, then turn around and look behind you.

Another year, another Pokemon game. I would've thought that after a decade of catching, training, and battling Pokemon that I would grow bored of repeating this process, but GameFreak has continued to prove me wrong . Naturally, I was expecting to be a dramatic improvement of the series with a better storyline , and more multiplayer options with. While not all my expectations were met, I am pleased to say that Pokemon White felt like an overall improvement to the Pokemon series.

The story has a similar vibe to previous Pokemon- you start off with a starter Pokemon given to you by the local Professor (in this case, Professor Juniper). After that, you test your luck in a friendly match with 2 rivals instead of the usual 1 rival before you finally settle off into the Unova region. Your goal is to collect over 150 Pokemon, defeat the 8 gym leaders, and crush the Elite 4, the top 4 trainers of the Pokemon region, into bits. However, GameFreak added a twist to the usual "evil" organization.

After discovering that the same basic Pokemon story was still intact, I gave up on all hope for a better storyline. As soon as I entered Striaton City (the first city you visit), Team Plasma makes a dramatic appearance, along with their leader Ghestis, and does a speech on how Pokemon shouldn't be used for battling and that they should be seperate from humans forever. After questioning from the local townsfolk, they leave the place. From here on out, I learned of more about the reason Team Plasma wanted to seperate people from their beloved Pokemon through quirky converstations, and battles. At various points in the game, including the intro, there are cutscenes that helped flesh out the high points of the game, including the introduction of the legendary Pokemon of the game. However, the ending of the game brought disappointment amongst me, because it turns out the leader's goal was to
Spoiler
take over the Unova region
. The story in this game shows that GameFreak was trying to at least include a decent story, and they acheived their goal successful.

However, I did not get this game just for the storyline. I wanted to embark on another grand Pokemon adventure, and GameFreak delivered just that. Now sure I still had to follow the same formula of catch-train-battle Pokemon that has been used countless times in previous Pokemon games, but many tweaks were added to enchance the gameplay. As you can see in the screen shot above, the battles still look like the old games, but are made more lively as the Pokemon actually move around as opposed to just standing there. 3D is also used a lot more in this game to show off a staggering city landscape and impressive "journeys" across various bridges. To keep the game fresh, GameFreak decided to added 2 new forms of battle; the rotational and triple battles. The triple battle is excatly what is sounds like: you send out 3 Pokemon to battle at the same time. The rotational battle is similar to the triple battle, except you have the option of switching a Pokemon before making a move, which adds another layer of depth to battles. Unfortunately, these battles are rare throughout the main game, so I didn't really know these battles that well.

Pokemon wouldn't be as popular if it didn't have some form of multiplayer and GameFreak made sure that was intact, while adding in a boatload of new features. The major factor here is the Pokemon Global Link, which connected me to a game-exclusive websites and gave me access to Pokemon I couldn't get before. It also gave me access to the Random Match feature, which let me battle a random person without the need for a friend code. Some other cool features that GameFreak gave me access to allowed me to trade Pokemon without the need to go to the box. The C-Gear, featured in the above screenshot, allowed for this to be possible.

WHAT IS THAT?!

The last thing I want to touch on is the Pokemon designs, though it is opinion based. Some people say that this is the worst generation when it comes to design, and I highly agree. While there were interesting Pokemon like Golurk (my favorite 5th generation Pokemon) and Tortuga, most of these Pokemon look rushed. I would even go as far as to say that this looks like it would belong in Yu-Gi-Oh or Digimon. This is one of the major negative points of the game.

In conclusion, this game was almost what I expected, but not quite. The overhauled Pokemon battles, new multiplayer feautes, and the improved storylines were some of the greatest things for the Pokemon series, However, I feel that some things weren't used as much as they should've been like the Rotational and Triple Battles and Combo Moves. This game also brought out the worse in terms of Pokemon design. However, if you need or want another Pokemon game, or you want to see what all the hype was all about, please, buy this game.

Keyman's Rating: 4/5 Pokeballs
Published by
The Mega Master
Keyman4 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Keyman4
Sponsored Links
By Final Flourish on 04-24-2011, 12:38 AM
Pokemon Black and White was a true reboot, and is not what the fans expected.
I don't know why people are complaining about the pokemon designs, though. Half the pokemon look better and more memorable than 2nd or 3rd gen pokemon.

I mean, does anyone in here even REMEMBER stantler and torkoal?

Anyway, good review. 10/5 Pokeballs.
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-24-2011, 12:45 AM
Not a bad review, little picture heavy, though.
By Megas75 on 04-24-2011, 12:50 AM
I agree with that the designs were pretty bad this time around(CANDLE BASED POKEMON?!?!?!?!) Good review
By Final Flourish on 04-24-2011, 12:56 AM
Yeah, the 5th gen pokemon looked hideous compared to this.
By Megas75 on 04-24-2011, 01:20 AM
Yeah that is pretty bad, but to me this generation wasn't any better. But in the end I guess it all comes down to personal opinion :/
By Final Flourish on 04-24-2011, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megas75 View Post
Yeah that is pretty bad, but to me this generation wasn't any better. But in the end I guess it all comes down to personal opinion :/
Give this man a medal.
By AlloftheAbove on 04-24-2011, 01:35 AM
There's no doubt that ugly Pokemon have appeared more and more often as each generation went by. I guess this new one was the 'last straw' with a lot of veteran fans, which has caused the massive controversy.

I enjoyed the game itself, but not nearly as much as I would have if the Pokemon looked better.

But in the end, it's still Pokemon. If you enjoyed one game, chances are that you'll enjoy the others. Even if you grow to despise the Pokemon designs as new generations are pumped out, you'll still buy the games, and you'll still have fun.
Last edited by AlloftheAbove; 04-24-2011 at 01:44 AM..
By SuperGamecube64 on 04-24-2011, 01:40 AM
What's with all the monster design complaints? These are the best looking Pokemon since the second generation.
By Final Flourish on 04-24-2011, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
What's with all the monster design complaints? These are the best looking Pokemon since the second generation.
Haters gonna hate bro.
Comment