Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Technical Support > Microsoft

Notices

Microsoft Post any Microsoft X-Box related support questions here.

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
Cam3ron36@NFF
NHL Fanatic
Points: 31,965, Level: 100 Points: 31,965, Level: 100 Points: 31,965, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 3x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Bullet Bill User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Fighter

My Mood: Gaming
Cam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award Royalty Monster Poster Review of the Month Review of the Month Poster Game Reviewer 
Total Awards: 8

Send a message via Skype™ to Cam3ron36@NFF Xbox Live Gamertag: cam3ron36
New computer... Decisions, Decisions, need opinions...

Yeah, I complain about my computer all the time. Obviously I need a new one, but money is an issue. 100 bucks, not a big problem, 700 bucks... BIG PROBLEM!

So, back in late 2008 I needed a computer to school, the school funded my family to buy one and I got it pretty much handed to me, the laptop was reimbursed per school rules back at the time. I was told that I would probably get it after school was over. Fact is, that got twisted around this year and I got the 2003 XP and my sister got my 2008 Vista... Real fair, I know. I don't bug my parents a lot about it since I'm not spoiled, it's a computer, I'm lucky to have one given to me. Recently, however, something grabbed my attention. My folks were talking about my sister graduating, the computer came up and they said they would probably sell it to her for 100 bucks. I jumped in, saying that it was originally my computer, give me the first chance to buy it when she graduates which only seems fair.

Enough back story, bottom line is that I have the choice to buy this 2008 Vista for 100 bucks or save up 700 bucks for a half-decent computer today. I say 700 since I'd have to pay for insurance, virus protection and a bunch of other stuff if I got a new one. This one (yeah, I'm using it now, long story) has all the antivirus and everything essential installed already. It's a fairly good computer and it sure as hell is a step up from my 2003 XP, don't even get me started on how much life support that computer is on...

specs for desktop XP:

Dell Dimension 2400
Intel Pentium IV
Cd Drive
Floppy Drive (Not joking)
6 USB ports
566 Mhz
512 MB ram (only 150 or less of which is ever free)
77 GB Hard drive
N-ethernet internet controller (kills the computer to use)

Downsides of XP:

-Internet being turned on kills it's speed
-it hangs up a lot and programs don't respond often
-Viruses constantly get at it because of bad free antivirus
-blue screens at least once a week
-Keyboard is old and full of crums, seriously (yuck)

Upsides of XP:

-Works great offline, I can play all my Cd games perfectly and other games and emulators.

Specs for 2008 Vista Laptop:

HP Compaq 2008
Intel Core 2 Duo
Built in internet, toggle on/off works great
3 GB Ram!
2 GHz
3 USb ports
SD port
DVD Drive!
221 GB Hard Drive
built in mic (not entirely useful to me)

Downsides:

-My sis harmed it a bit by not knowing what she was doing, but I fixed it up quite nice. Hopefully no permanent damage was done
-It's 2 1/2 years old, how long will it be good for?
-shift button is fussy as you may notice in my typing
-constantly needs windows updates

Upsides:

Too many to count

Basically, I'm sharing it with my sis right now, I use it for minecraft mainly when I do play that. I want to buy this computer badly when the chance comes. 100 bucks for it is a great deal I think and although its a few years old it's probably worth it.

Let me know what you guys think, I really want opinions on whether or not I should buy this 2008 vista.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
Personally, I hate dells. But if you want a new desktop, you can get an excellent gaming quality one for around $500...i can't remember what it;s called. I'll ask my friend that has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Old 05-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Cam3ron36@NFF
NHL Fanatic
Points: 31,965, Level: 100 Points: 31,965, Level: 100 Points: 31,965, Level: 100
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 3x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Bullet Bill User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Fighter

Cam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud ofCam3ron36@NFF has much to be proud of

Awards Showcase
Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award Royalty Monster Poster Review of the Month Review of the Month Poster Game Reviewer 

yeah, the thing is that I'm not looking to run any really good games, just the classics I have and maybe some sequels. Minecraft and Half Life games are probably the most high tech games that I want to run. maybe some FPS from 2007 at latest.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Lukario
Strangers
Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73

Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 
Total Awards: 10

Xbox Live Gamertag: deadDEFINED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3ronNFF View Post
yeah, the thing is that I'm not looking to run any really good games, just the classics I have and maybe some sequels. Minecraft and Half Life games are probably the most high tech games that I want to run. maybe some FPS from 2007 at latest.
Are you open to DIY? When people are looking for computers, I usually recommend they build their own. You'll save upwards of 40 percent than if you bought the same computer preassembled, best of all, it's a great learning experience and not very time consuming (with all the parts, it should only take a few hours). The only downside is you have to research the parts you want and wait for them to show up. If you do choose this path, NewEgg is a great site for discount computer parts. My sister built a high-end PC in early 2009 from parts she bought online. In the store, it would have cost a minimum of a thousand plus half. She went the DIY route and it set her back $800. Not a bad deal. If you're just looking to run Half-Life plus emulators, you can probably throw together a decent PC for $300. Just buy smart, not from a department store.

If you're not looking to get technical, then don't bother. The laptop should be a good deal, but I recommend upgrading to Windows 7. Vista isn't exactly the most stable OS, and both XP and 7 are better choices if available. My laptop has similar specs (its also a 2008) and it runs Windows 7 perfectly.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
Cam3ron36@NFF
NHL Fanatic

Awards Showcase

I'd really like to just buy this laptop if possible, it seems to pay off a lot more I think. Is it really going to last me say another 3 years if I need it to?
Old 05-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
NommyNommy
Banned

NommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to behold

one that can play minecraft

which is better than shitty fortresscraft or w/e
Old 05-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
Lukario
Strangers
Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73

Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 
Total Awards: 10

Xbox Live Gamertag: deadDEFINED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam3ronNFF View Post
I'd really like to just buy this laptop if possible, it seems to pay off a lot more I think. Is it really going to last me say another 3 years if I need it to?
There's no reason why it shouldn't. The only things you should worry about is the harddrive failing (use cloud storage services like DropBox to store important documents that you can simply download should something happen,) and general hardware failure. I would advise buying a spare battery for it because those lose charging capacity the more they're used. My computer is nearly three years old and I hear people saying three years is the limit (these are the same morons who advocate buying a new car when your old one has 100,000 miles). So yes, as long as it is maintained with good AV and regular back-ups, it'll last you several more years.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #8
Cam3ron36@NFF
NHL Fanatic

Awards Showcase

It's the same as when I have it, when it's unplugged it shows 100% when fully charged, each percent is about a minute and a half so I get like 150 minutes out of it, same as years ago when I had it. It's always plugged in really though.

Quote:
one that can play minecraft

which is better than shitty fortresscraft or w/e
Minecraft > Fortresscraft > Minecraft Classic as far as I'm concerned atm.

Minecraft still needs more for my adventuring needs, I'm no architect, or rather I don't enjoy designing buildings as much, minecraft is half about survival, then half about building cool structures, usually appeals to both kinds of people. Too bad I don't like trying to make cool designs in minecraft, which is funny since I like mapmakers and Lunar Magic and stuff like that. Building stuff in minecraft is just tedious when you want to make it look excellent, I just need necessities, and it's not even scary anymore, eventually you make everything you use and every area too safe. It definitely needs more, good thing it's nowhere near done. So that's why I still play here and then. Fortresscraft is definitely all building right now so obviously it sucks for me after a short time. Looking forward to what it will become as well.

Edit: Probably sound well... let's just put it this way, I like making cool designs but honestly it's just very tedious after a short while in minecraft. It gets boring fast, obviously its the same thing for Fortresscraft.

Last edited by Cam3ron36@NFF; 05-07-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
Mikematute
Zombie Prosecutor
Points: 13,099, Level: 74 Points: 13,099, Level: 74 Points: 13,099, Level: 74
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Triforce

Mikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of light

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Royalty Review of the Month Poster 
Total Awards: 4

buy a Mac.they rock

WHO THE **** DO YOU THINK I AM
Old 05-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
Cam3ron36@NFF
NHL Fanatic

Awards Showcase

A mac is the last thing I want, they can't run hardly any games and none of the games I already own...