Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Creative Corner > Profiles and Blogs

Notices

Profiles and Blogs Blogs and Profiles written by our members, telling about themselves.

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
Lukario
Strangers
Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73

Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 
Total Awards: 10

Xbox Live Gamertag: deadDEFINED
An open letter to agnostics

This thread deals specifically with Judeo-Christian theology, nothing else.

Dear agnostics,

Every once in a while when I decide to dwell upon the concept of religion, I cannot help but note those who sit on the fence and refuse to accept one side or the other. You hold the belief that there is no way to definitely prove one side or the other, so instead of choosing a side, you simply wait idly to see if you're right (or wrong). For various reasons entailed below, you try to maintain a sense of neutrality in which you assure yourself you are approaching religion objectively, but in truth, you are only setting yourself up for ridicule from both sides.

First, let's briefly discuss some of the reasons you choose not to choose (note these are claims and by no means factual): there's insufficient proof for both sides, God may exist, but I'm not sure, and most importantly because you're scared. While in most situations binary thinking and absolutes often lead to disaster, religion is one concept in which there are only two answers: right and wrong. Now, I will further discuss why being indecisive has no benefits and only negatives.

Firstly, consider Christianity. Isn't it true that the only ones allowed into heaven are those who accept Jesus Christ as their savior? If this is true, doubting his existence will not allow you into heaven, because the only way to get into heaven is through unquestioned faith. Sure, there are probably other ways such as being pure of heart, but when was the last time you saw someone who didn't break one of the ten commandments on a daily basis, or at the very least, was free of sin? Would you, the agnostic, have anything to gain from doublethink: believing god could be real, but not sure? According to the Bible, no. Many theists like to claim that God/Jesus forgives all who is willing to accept him as their lord and savior, but, then, why even outline actions people should not do, if committing them is inconsequential in the end?

A very popular argument from you is that there's no way to not prove God's existence. That argument seems to be your Great Wall. Yes, in theory, it is impossible to disprove that something that has never manifested itself is fake, but you also forget what the burden of proof is. The burden of proof lies with those claiming God's existence, not those who doubt it. If someone tells me that the trees don't grow from seeds and I say they do, are you automatically going to believe person A simply because I cannot visibly show you that a seed sprouts into a tree? You can liken it to the popular question, "If a tree falls down in a forest, and no one hears it, does it make a sound?" Now, consider the premise to that question when phrased into a religious context: "If a God exists, but doesn't ever prove himself to anyone, is he really there?" Your answer may vary, but my answer is no.

Now, theists might be quick to mention that God proves himself to us all of the time. Number one, this thread is not about you (you get enough attention). Number two, something that can be explained by simple biology is not "God's work". It is, in fact, the work of nature. We will not play catch-up and prove where everything came from, read a biology and history textbook if you're interested in that information.

Now, let's look at agnosticism through the eyes of an atheist. To us, you're someone who cannot make up their mind because they fear being wrong. Agnosticism is not about doubting evidence, it's about the inability to choose a side. As explained before, in the end you will be wrong either way. So, if a God exists, congratulations, you proved those filthy atheists wrong, but your place in hell is no less secure than ours. Even if we are wrong, we will die what we believed, similar to a theist. You, on the other hand, will die not knowing what to believe, and for that, you will be a weak person.

An atheist will also be quick to point to the example of Russel's teapot. If I told you a teapot was in space, but it was too small to see with any telescope, would you believe me? The underlying situation is, of how much consequence is the teapot in your life. Does it matter to you whether or not the teapot exists; does it have a significant impact on your life? Think of Russel's teapot like God: does it matter if he exists or not? If you answered yes, you are in fact a theist in denial. If it doesn't, you are not agnostic, you are simply irreligious. Once you've decided on being irreligious, you can now stay that way, or go a step further and decide you will not let the existence of a deity influence you.

Just in case theists feel left out, here's a little quote for you, "Once you realize why you reject other gods, you'll realize why I reject yours."

So, while I accomplished nothing but ramble on, I hope I at least gave you some perspective so you can seriously consider your stance.

Sincerely,
Astu Piddasol
Old 05-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
I personally believe in God. I never really thought about why agnostics were agnostic, but yeah, you're right...it's a pretty simple minded belief. It's like not knowing rather you prefer beef or poultry. How can you not know what you, your own self, prefers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Old 05-08-2011, 02:17 AM   #3
Lukario
Strangers
Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73 Points: 12,473, Level: 73

Lukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant futureLukario has a brilliant future

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Super Member NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster NFF 3rd Annual Award Super Member NFF Artist Joker Inventor Award 

Xbox Live Gamertag: deadDEFINED
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
I personally believe in God. I never really thought about why agnostics were agnostic, but yeah, you're right...it's a pretty simple minded belief. It's like not knowing rather you prefer beef or poultry. How can you not know what you, your own self, prefers?
Yes, if I could have summarized this thread in two lines, this is what I would have said. And this thread really isn't about proving/disproving anything, it's more like finding out why someone thinks the way they do. I don't consider religion a game, I think it's great if someone believes in God, and just fine if they don't. I suppose not holding beliefs makes that decision easy to make, as I really don't base religion on whether I like someone, it's not a factor.

At the very least, though, they need to have the capacity to think. And that requires that they understand why they believe the things they do. In this case, I don't see a strong case for agnosticism on any front, so I want to see why exactly would someone choose to be agnostic instead of theistic (of any variety) or atheistic.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
AlexTheGamer1000
Former Idiot
Points: 2,143, Level: 27 Points: 2,143, Level: 27 Points: 2,143, Level: 27

AlexTheGamer1000 is on a distinguished road

As long as you don't let your beliefs get to your head like those Islamic radicals who fight to impose Sharia Law upon all, now that's dangerous!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:40 AM   #5
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheGamer1000 View Post
As long as you don't let your beliefs get to your head like those Islamic radicals who fight to impose Sharia Law upon all, now that's dangerous!
well, he's talking about Agnostics. Agnostics are people neither believe in God nor deny him.They technically have no belief that can get to their head in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Old 05-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Final Flourish
Light Grenade
Points: 5,497, Level: 47 Points: 5,497, Level: 47 Points: 5,497, Level: 47
User owns 1x Pegasuses Boots User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x Poke Doll

My Mood: Devilish
Final Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to behold

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 2

They choose to be agnostic because neither any monotheistic belief or Atheism can refute their ideology. I'm not speaking for the whole Agnostic group and I'm not representing their ideology sumarilly, but to my understanding Agnosticism doesn't necessarily mean you bury your collective head in the sand just because you choose not to believe either side.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ
Pink Pearl Voice
Points: 7,909, Level: 59 Points: 7,909, Level: 59 Points: 7,909, Level: 59
User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 1x Chao User owns 1x Mr Saturn

My Mood: In Love
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Game Reviewer Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Royalty Poster Princess Award NFF 3rd Annual Award 

Send a message via MSN to Colorful CrAzYoNzZ Send a message via Skype™ to Colorful CrAzYoNzZ Xbox Live Gamertag: z0mbii baItt
I have a friend who's agnostic, and I can't understand her reasoning. She dosen't know and dosen't care enough to consider the possibility. This is one thing I've learned about agnostics, they simply don't care.

If you look everybody here is trying on new faces
And the ones that fit are surprisingly contagious
With a shiny new beginning we cordially invite you to
Into the dressing room.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:07 AM   #8
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 24,228, Level: 94 Points: 24,228, Level: 94 Points: 24,228, Level: 94
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
I don't understand agnostics.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:32 AM   #9
AlloftheAbove
Points: 24,444, Level: 95 Points: 24,444, Level: 95 Points: 24,444, Level: 95
User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Grey Chaos Emerald

My Mood: Gaming
AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Review of the Month Review of the Month Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award NFF Referrer 
Total Awards: 40

3DS Friend Code: 4382-1995-8800 PSN ID: RaptorWaffles Xbox Live Gamertag: RaptorWaffles WiiU ID: AlloftheAbove
Agnostics are people who aren't confident enough to have an opinion.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
Bryaugh
ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Points: 825, Level: 15 Points: 825, Level: 15 Points: 825, Level: 15

Bryaugh will become famous soon enough

Eh, it's a complicated thing... I don't think it's as simple as "can't disprove either way." There's such a huge variety of religions in such a large number of cultures that some would say that's not coincidental, and perhaps there is a basis of truth behind the whole organised religion mess. Maybe it's their way of being religious, but without conforming to any organised religions or beliefs... since it can't be disproven there's no point in denying that it's a possibility. Then again for the same reason there's no point in even entertaining the idea that it is a possibility, since there's not a shred of evidence for it :/ there are a lot of natural reasons for human behaviour, mostly concerned with social adaptations... so basically agnostics are probably on the fence because they worry that it could be true but want to enjoy their one short life rather than punishing themselves for being animals.