Lucario  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment > Music Reviews

Notices

Music Reviews Post your Music reviews here.

Closed Review

Review Tools
The Lonely Island - Turtleneck & Chain
The perfect touch of comedy sprinkled on virtually every genre of music.
Published by Vexenon
05-08-2011
Author review
Rate the Music
90%90%90%
Average 90%

The Lonely Island is a group that can easily be described in one word: hysterical. The comedic talents of Akiva Schaffer, Jorma Taccone, and Andy Samberg come together in a way that’s so awkward, funny, and musical that it just works. Following their original skit for “Lazy Sunday” with Jack Black on Saturday Night Live, the troupe has gone on to release numerous hits, including “Dick in a Box”, “Like a Boss”, “I’m on a Boat”, and “Jizz in My Pants”, just to name a few. After their debut album Incredibad was released in 2009 and receive positive reviews from many critics, the group had to follow it up with an even better mix of hip-hop, rap, pop, and comedic songs blended into one all-new eloquent masterpiece. The result: Turtleneck & Chain.

Featuring vocals from Akon, Michael Bolton, Nicki Minaj, Rihanna, Snoop Dogg, and several other artists, Turtleneck & Chain combines star power with the unmatched comedic musical style of The Lonely Island, creating outrageously funny yet catchy tunes. The first single off of the album, “I Just Had Sex”, featured The Lonely Island and Akon singing about… well, sex. Despite this strange concept, the music video for the song received over 20 million hits within the first week and a half and has received over 86 million views on YouTube to date. Several other singles have been released, including “The Creep”, “We’re Back!”, “Motherlover”, “Jack Sparrow”, and “Turtleneck & Chain”, all of which have received positive reviews from critics, fans, and music enthusiasts alike.

Without further ado, I present the track last (tracks in bold link to the song’s official music video on YouTube):
  1. "We're Back!"
  2. "Mama"
  3. "I Just Had Sex" (featuring Akon)
  4. "Jack Sparrow" (featuring Michael Bolton)
  5. "Attracted to Us" (featuring Beck)
  6. "Rocky"
  7. "My Mic – Interlude"
  8. "Turtleneck & Chain" (featuring Snoop Dogg)
  9. "Shy Ronnie 2: Ronnie & Clyde" (featuring Rihanna)
  10. "Trouble on Dookie Island"
  11. "Falcor vs. Atreyu – Classy Skit #1"
  12. "Motherlover" (featuring Justin Timberlake)
  13. "The Creep" (featuring Nicki Minaj and John Waters)
  14. "Watch Me Do Me – Classy Skit #2"
  15. "Threw It on the Ground"
  16. "Japan"
  17. "After Party" (featuring Santigold)
  18. "No Homo"
  19. "No Homo Outro"
  20. "Reba (Two Worlds Collide)" (featuring Kenan Thompson, iTunes Store bonus track)
After listening to the album multiple times, I’d give Turtleneck & Chain 4.5/5 starts (or a 9/10). It didn’t have as many attention-grabbing and memorable singles as Incredibad, but the album as a whole is worth listening to and didn’t have as many skippable and subpar songs as Incredibad. I highly recommend picking up the album on May 10 (or you can pre-order it from iTunes now) – you won’t be disappointed.
Sponsored Links
By Rai17 on 05-27-2011, 11:10 PM
I. LOVE THIS ALBUM. Makes me smile every time. SNL <3
By LafterIzPhun on 05-18-2012, 10:26 AM
I lawl everytime I listen to I Just Had Sex. (that is almost every day.)

As for The Creep, I Creep behind chicks at school all the time Only to those that I know, of course. Cuz if I don't and they see me, that is just awkward :/
Closed Review