Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Portal 2 review
Portal 2 review
I think we can put our differences aside us...for science...you monster
Published by Cloud7
05-09-2011
Author review
Graphics
95%95%95%
Storyline
90%90%90%
Controls/Gameplay
95%95%95%
Sound
70%70%70%
Average 88%
Portal 2 review

THE 60 DOLLARS IS A LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......Errr......I mean welcome to my Portal 2 review.

So Lets jump into some of the story from Portal 2.

Many many years after the first game ended with the "death" of GLaDOS, Chell, the main character from the first Portal, is woke up by a personality bot named Wheatley he tells her they need to escape the facility because it was overgrown and is now falling apart. He gives her instructions to find a portal gun in order to help get them through the run down testing chambers and to the Escape Pod. Along the way they find their way to GLaDOS' Overgrown chambers where Wheatley finds the breaker room in which they look for the switch to the Escape Pod. Unfortunately Wheatley is a giant screw up and activates the lift and all the breakers in the breaker room on the way up to the top, and in return it wakes GLaDOS from her being dead, then the REAL story begins. I personally like the story of this Portal game better than that of the first one because it is more in depth and not where you just go through endless chamber after endless chamber testing over and over so I give the Story to this one a 9.

The Graphics have improved a bit more from the first game and the settings are a bit more diverse as well because unlike the first game where it is pretty much just testing chambers this one has overgrown chambers, destroyed zones, the old Aperture Science place at the very bottom of the giant shaft, and a heap of gel, and before you are like "GEL? what the hell dude?" you'll see what that means a bit later on in my review in the gameplay section. Overall the Graphics are pretty advanced to seem so simple I give them a 9.5.

Now for a bit on the controls then we'll move into gameplay.

The controls are like the first Portal nothing has changed too much except they added a zoom button so you can see far off Portal shot opportunities. The portal fire button are the shoulder buttons on the ps3 one shoots a blue portal and one shoots the orange portal you use these portals to solve challenges as you move through the game.

Now for the actual gameplay part of this.

So the gameplay is pretty straight forward you have to solve the testing chambers to be able to progress through the game. Throughout this game you'll find some things from the first games chambers then you'll find new things like the walls of light that can be channeled though portals to make walkways or block turrets and many many other things. After a certain point in the game stuff happens and more stuff happens and you end up down in the Old Aperture Science Building and testing zones where they add a new element to the gameplay, you'll remember I mentioned this earlier, The Gels. You might be asking, "but but what are these gels you speak of?", well keep your pants on you eager beaver and I'll explain all 3 gels. The first gel is Repulsion gel it is a blue type gel and it can be placed on surfaces and it makes you jump higher from a surface and keep bouncing afterwards. The second gel is the Propulsion Gel it is an orange type gel and it can be applied to surfaces to make you move at high rates of speed. Lastly the third type of gel is the Conversion Gel which is a white color gel and it can be appied to many surfaces and it allows you to make portals on anything that has this gel on it.

Overall the gameplay and controls are really really epic so I give it a 9.5 rating.

Lastly the Sound which there isn't too much to say about it. The music has different tracks than that of the first game which is good. My personal favorite part of the sound is the Voices in the game some of them made me laugh so freakin hard, Especially when you go to the pre recorded old Aperture Building where Cave Johnson is talking to you about the tests and heaps of random things that will make you go, "WTF? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?", and things like that so yeah I give the sounds a 7 the voices are still the best part though I'm just sayin.

Well that about wraps it up for my Portal 2 review. My only other thing I have to say is Valve did a heck of a job on this game and I recommend it to anyone who loves a good puzzle and action game.

If you have any questions or comments leave a reply and I'll be by to check them out.

~Cloud
Sponsored Links
By a_sno_man on 05-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Awesome review, Cloud7.
Got the a couple weeks ago, and played it till 2 in the morning, when I beat it. Amazing game. Co-op was pretty awesome as well.
I personally like the soundtrack, even though you don't get to hear it much in game. Cave Johnson is made of Win. Yeah. Did you watch the Aperture Science Advertisements? If not, I recommend them you the reader of this post.
This is asnoman. Were done here.
By Lukario on 05-09-2011, 12:57 PM
I went to the midnight launch because I had nothing better to do. I got the game, played it for about three days, became disinterested, and haven't played it since. It's not that I don't like it, but for some reason I haven't wanted to play games for three months now.
By SuperGamecube64 on 05-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Is there a reason my comment was removed? All I did was give him advice.
Comment