Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Nintendo DS Reviews

Notices

Nintendo DS Reviews Section for all Nintendo DS and DSI Reviews

Comment

Review Tools
Mario & Luigi: Partners in time
Published by Mikematute
05-28-2011
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%

Nintendo, in 2003, created a great game based on their most popular plumbers, Mario & Luigi. They created an innovative RPG game using the two brothers. The player may control both the brothers simultaneously; Mario with the A button, and Luigi with the B button. This game achieved popularity because of the new gameplay and the new challenges it presented to the player.
When I first played that game I fell in love with the series and then found that Nintendo had decided to continue with the series and added a new element to it: time travel!
Throughout history, people have thought of the idea of traveling through time. They also have been pondering the possibility of an alien invasion. Nintendo combined these two concepts and made a great adventure for our two plumbers.

Story line
The story begins in with the description of a faraway planet and how their inhabitants had consumed their planet and were looking for a new one, when their eyes got fixed on Mushroom Kingdom and decided to invade it. Meanwhile in that time (which is the past that of our two heroes),Toadsworth calls them into the princess’s room for them to play with her, there they find baby Bowser trying to steal peach (yes, ever since he was little he wanted something with Peach) and you as baby Mario must defeat baby Bowser.
After defeating the little villain something starts the tremble outside the castle, an alien invasion. After you see the beginning of the destruction of the castle you are taken to the present of our heroes. Professor E. Gadd had invented a time machine in which the princess had traveled to her past. While she was in the past, Toadsworth was having a panic attack because of the princess absence and you (as Mario) have to find a mushroom to cure him. After finding the mushroom the time machine comes back, but it was all damaged and a weird alien came out of it. After defeating the alien you discover that the time machine had left a time portal in the backyard and you go to investigate it.
Luigi gets near the portal for a closer examination and accidently Toadsworth crashes into him and Luigi travels in it, followed by Mario. You arrive at the outskirts of a village near the castle, and after going through a tutorial you arrive at the village. There you find that the village is in the end of an invasion the aliens (who by the way look like big purple mushrooms and are known as Shrooms). You start to look around the village and find the major and after freeing him he is abducted by the Shrooms. After the abduction you engage a fight versus three Shrooms and end up losing (yeah, it is impossible not to). Meanwhile the babies are traveling with baby Bowser (He has no other option of course) and they rescue you. Here Mario & Luigi get to meet their younger self’s and the real adventure begins. Then you find out that the only way to stop the invasion is by finding the source of the time machine (a star) and your search begins.

Gameplay.
The gameplay of this game is almost the same as of the rest of the series. The game is an RPG game, you control the characters inside and outside battles with the same buttons, A for Mario, B for Luigi and as an extra you use X for baby Mario and Y for baby Luigi. Outside you are able to jump (obviously) you can throw the babies to higher places and move them, and inside battle you mainly attack with Mario and Luigi and you can use the babies to power up your attacks, for example the classic jump with the babies is to first jump whith the baby making Mario to jump higher and then smash the enemy with the normal Mario (2 hits in other words) and If one of them is defeated you use their baby version instead.
During the game you find new things like hammers (which ironically are used by the babies), you learn tricks, especial moves, etc.
In battle they make you exceed your abilities as a gamer because at some point in the game the enemies are stronger and they attack in a more confusing way and the special attacks are even more confusing and are a challenge, for example there is a portable chain chomp that chases Mario and Luigi. The point is that Mario and Luigi come and go jumping on a random enemy (you need to press the bro button [A or B depending] to jump farther and not get bitten by the chain chomp) and if you got the babies one will be riding the chain chomp and the other behind it and you can press the baby button [X or Y depending on the baby behind]. If you press incorrectly you will either slow down (in the case of Mario and Luigi) or you will get the chain chomp angrier which would make it will run faster.

Sound
The sound of the game is acceptable. In the whole game there is no background music that may, at some point, irritate you. In the part where our heroes suffer the music is good enough to make you worry and laugh at the same time. Some boss battles have different sounds. The music is not what makes this game great however it is acceptable.
Graphics
When I first heard there were aliens in the game I thought that they may scare some children or that it would suck. They made a very good job with the shrooms and they don’t give a very innocent look either, honestly if I where to find one in my backyard I would kick his ass and say “he gave me a mean look.”
The graphics are one of the best graphics for the DS and in comparison with those of the Game Boy Advance, they made a few but very good changes. The use of brighter and darker colors is not abused and there are no dizzy graphics. In some especial moves they made a great job, for example the use of a chain chomp in the middle of battle or the creation of a gigantic fireball.

8-year-old comparison
When I got this game my little brother started to play this one as well. He was able to finish the game (excepting for the final boss which I defeated) and he got stuck plenty of times but this game he watched me play it before he played it himself so he knew what to do.

This game I would recommend it to players who want to play the games of this series since they are fun. If you are looking for a real challenge I wouldn’t recommend it since it isn’t that hard.
Published by
Zombie Prosecutor
Mikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of lightMikematute is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Mikematute
Sponsored Links
By SuperGamecube64 on 05-28-2011, 10:47 PM
A couple of things sounded repetitious. Overall, it's not bad and I see improvement.

Your next step should be to get rid of those categories. Have you ever read a professional review? while there are still technically sections to the review, they are unmarked and just seem to flow into one another. You have to learn how t make that "wall" invisible.
By Nights on 05-28-2011, 11:01 PM
I liked that game baby peach was just adorable!!!!=)
By Mikematute on 05-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
A couple of things sounded repetitious. Overall, it's not bad and I see improvement.

Your next step should be to get rid of those categories. Have you ever read a professional review? while there are still technically sections to the review, they are unmarked and just seem to flow into one another. You have to learn how t make that "wall" invisible.
OK. Thanks for the advise. I will try it on my next review
By Brandyn on 05-29-2011, 01:13 PM
I remember the boss fight with Mrs. Thowmp took me forever.
By Mikematute on 05-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBoy View Post
forever and anoying.
By Nintenduendo on 05-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBoy View Post
Ugh. Yes. Mrs. Thwomp was the Trunkle of Partners in Time; probably worse than Trunkle, in hindsight.
By SuperGamecube64 on 05-30-2011, 11:58 AM
I don't deny the games of their glory, but I'm honestly not a huge Mario & Luigi Fan. I liked Superstar Saga enough, but never played partners in time. I borrowed Bowser's Inside Story from a friend and found it to be horrible. Might try this one some time, though.
By Mikematute on 05-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
I don't deny the games of their glory, but I'm honestly not a huge Mario & Luigi Fan. I liked Superstar Saga enough, but never played partners in time. I borrowed Bowser's Inside Story from a friend and found it to be horrible. Might try this one some time, though.
honestly, this is more than a challenge than bowser's inside story
By Nintenduendo on 05-31-2011, 10:04 PM
I am a huge Mario & Luigi fan. Superstar Saga pretty much got me into the Mario RPGs , and I learned more about the stories behind Mario games from this game as well.

When I heard they were making a Mario & Luigi 2, now Partners in Time, I was ecstatic. When I played it, though, I noticed this game was missing some charm that the original had. Granted, it was a great game, but it left me wanting.

Then they announced Bowser's Inside Story. This game was more closer to the original's charm than Partners in Time, but it still wasn't the best of the three games.
Comment