Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Technical Support > Nintendo

Notices

Nintendo Post any Nintendo related support questions here.

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Joenooch
Goomba
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1

Joenooch is an unknown quantity at this point

NES Problem (Overheating?)

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. :-)

I am having some problems with my NES. The console just turned 20 and I'm wondering if it has finally had it. lol

The problem I have started about a week ago and has progressively gotten worse. At first, games would periodically freeze after about 20 minutes of play. I would reset, the game would work fine, and then would freeze again after some time. Time until "failure" has decreased the past few days. Now, after 10 minutes, the game will freeze, followed by the console loosing power (or so it seems.) The screen will turn black, humming will come out of the speakers, and the power LED at the front of the consoe will dim and the go completely out. If I turn the console off and then back on, I'll get a messed up looking screen and humming. When this occurs, if I immediately start feeling around the motherboard for warm components, I notice that the box where the power and a/v jacks are is HOT. If I let the console cool down, the game starts up again, the box heats up, and I have the same problem all over again.

I'm thinking that I'm going to need to replace the power rectifier/av jacks. But before I do, has anyone else ever encountered anything like this before? Is so, what did you do?

Let me give a little history of my console:
-20 years old
-It has been used on and off during this time, obviously more so in the 90s.
-Everything is original except for a 3rd party power supply which I bought late 2010 when the original one died on me. We the problems started, I fixed the original one and have been using tha since.
-games are clean
- 72 pin connected is original, but has been refurbished (isn't a problem)

So all in all, the console and games aren't neglected.
Any insight or help would be totally appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
Well, you may want to try using a brand new power supply. If that doesn't work, replace the pin connector with a new (no refurbished) one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Old 05-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Joenooch
Goomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
Well, you may want to try using a brand new power supply. If that doesn't work, replace the pin connector with a new (no refurbished) one.

Hi, thanks for the reply!
Nothing wrong with the power supply; my voltmeter measures a solid 10 volts AC. The console does the same thing with the other power supply I had bought. And given the symptoms, it doesn't appear to be related.

As for the pin connector, I actually did buy one last week and had the same results. I cleaned and put the original one back in.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
Ah, well then it sounds like something internal. Unfortunately, I cannot take it apart for you, being so far away. I did recently make a thread in general about me doing controller repairs and mods, however. I know quite a bit about NES systems as well, and if you would like, you can send it my way and I'll take a look.

Quote:

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Old 05-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
Joenooch
Goomba

Thanks for the offer, but that's not necessary.

A little update: I replaced the voltage regulator in hopes that maybe that was the issue. That wasnt it. I tried running the console again while monitoring the AC power entering the console and the dc being used. When the console starts up, I get 10 vac and 5 vdc, which is correct. As time goes on, the AC remains constant (again indicating that there is nothing wrong with the power pack) and the dc voltage drops gradually to 4 volts. Then, the console blows up, as described, and the voltage drops to 2.5 vdc. At this point it has to be e rectifier.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase

Sounds about right. I've fixed multiple NES consoles and almost every time it is the pin connector, so it's usually the first thing I guess, haha.

Quote:

Old 05-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
Joenooch
Goomba

I found and fixed the problem!
I had to replace a bad 22 pico farad capacitor associated with the composite video out. I'll post a little write up with pictures by tonight for those interested.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase

Glad you found your fix! Closing this thread to prevent bumping/spam.

Quote:

Closed Thread