Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land
Mario's Trippest Adventure Yet!
Published by SuperGamecube64
06-08-2011
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Super Mario Land

What's a Nintendo console without at least one Mario game? When the Gameboy came out, Super Mario Land was a launch title, and in fact was originally going to be bundled with the Gameboy. Of course, Tetris won out because of its wide range of appeal.

When I first played Super Mario Land, I was expecting a game that would play like the NES Super Mario Bros., but I got was an experience that was only vaguely like the rest of the series. Sure, you platform,go down pipes and stomp on enemies heads, but that's where the similarities end. For starters, Mario no logner shoots fireballs, but super balls. Yep, super balls! Like a real super ball, they bounce all over the place. Unlike his fireballs, they can be used to collect coins. They still kill enemies the same as a fireball would.

Speaking of enemies, most of them are just downright strange. Aside from Goombas, which look more like sea monkeys, koopas and paratroopas, and of course piranha plants, most enemies are new. When you kill a koopa, his shell can no longer be kicked. Instead, his shell becomes a "grenade" of sorts, and explode after a couple of seconds. Paratroopas have also been changed. They now fly right to left and drop spears at Mario. Most of the new enemies are really odd, and most are specific to a world. These includes sphinxes that spit fire and moving statues.

Speaking of worlds, there are only four of them and they only consist of 3 parts each. The difficulty can range to boringly easy to frustratingly hard, and even the hard parts can become extremely easy when you try them again. The game can be completed in under an hour, soit's not a very lengthy adventure. Each world has a theme. Sarassaland has a dessert area, an Easter Island like area, an Egypt like area and an Asia like area. None of it really suits Mario as a series except the dessert.

If you're wondering why Mario is going through these areas, Princess Daisy of Sarassaland has been kidnipped by the evil alien Tatanga. Why is Mario saving a princess from a kingdom in which he does not even reside? Who knows for sure? Instead of being greeted by Toad at the end of a level, you are deceived by an enemy imitating Daisy. Instead of Tatanga being the boss of every level, a la Bowser, each area has its on boss. Some levels consist of Mario driving a vehicle, including a Plane and a Sub-Marine. These levels are not frustrating, but they seem very out of place.

The graphics are nothing to write home about. The NES looks amazing in comparison. The music is, on the other hand, amazing and extremely memorable.

So, the graphics are horrible, the story is odd, the enemies are weird, and the whole game just seems out of place. But it isn't terrible. It can be an enjoyable platforming experience, but I can only truly recommend it to those desperate for a platformer, or collectors. If you're interested, this game can be pruchased for a mean $3.99 on the 3DS Virtual Console. If you're more interested in owning a physical copy, you can find a cartridge for about the same price. It's a very trippy experience (as if Mario isn't bizarre enough of a concept), and I can't imagine paying full price for this game. At the price you can find it now, however, it's worth a go.

Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64
Sponsored Links
By =^.^= on 06-09-2011, 03:29 AM
I had a poster of this game in my room as a kid.
what does the last image have to do with anything?
By Nintenduendo on 06-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^.^= View Post
It's basically referencing how strange this one Mario title is, out of all the others.

I agree in part with the review. I found the vehicle levels to be very out-of-place for a Mario title, but the rest of the levels are still on-par with levels in other Mario games. I think using different themes, such as the Asian-inspired Chai kingdom, was a refreshing pace form the now-normal cycle of desert/ice/sky levels.

I also enjoyed the fact that each world featured enemies exclusive to that world. It really kept you on your toes for each world, as you would be experiencing nothing like you had in the previous levels.

Great review anyhow, SCG64.
By SuperGamecube64 on 06-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^.^= View Post
I had a poster of this game in my room as a kid.
I usually put a funny, relevant picture at the end. In this case, I was referring to how strange this is for a Mario game.
By Holysnap on 06-09-2011, 09:06 PM
none of the enemies are goombas, koopa troopa's etc. they are all different species that is why they are different. The game takes place in sarasaland so it kinda makes sense that it doesn't look the same or ahve the same enemies as a normal mario game.

tbh it really isnt all that different at all like you've made it out to be. the only thing i would mention is that the timing of the controls is slightly different to previous mario platformers which is hard to get used to.
By SuperGamecube64 on 06-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holysnap View Post
none of the enemies are goombas, koopa troopa's etc. they are all different species that is why they are different. The game takes place in sarasaland so it kinda makes sense that it doesn't look the same or ahve the same enemies as a normal mario game.

tbh it really isnt all that different at all like you've made it out to be. the only thing i would mention is that the timing of the controls is slightly different to previous mario platformers which is hard to get used to.
chibibo's and Bombshell Koopas are still goomba's and koopa's, they're jsut offshoots of a species.
By Holysnap on 06-10-2011, 06:56 AM
my same point still stands
By Nintenduendo on 06-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holysnap View Post
the only thing i would mention is that the timing of the controls is slightly different to previous mario platformers which is hard to get used to.
I agree, and I was gonna mention this, but I couldn't properly phrase it in my head.

The controls to me feel like they take about 10-15 minutes to getting used to. It detracts from the gameplay somewhat because of that.
Comment