Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo Wii

Notices

Nintendo Wii Nintendo Wii section. Post anything Nintendo Wii related here.

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
mugugipan
Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6

mugugipan is an unknown quantity at this point

Sm Goomba Why Wii U doesnt make any sense?

1st of all, the name, Wii U. Its an oxymoron, as far as the meaning of the part Wii, and the part U go. Second, if Nintendo is truly trying to court fps gamers and game developers, the controls make very little sense. The sticks are short like that of DS and the Trigger buttons are more like that of the Wii Remote's B button, which sucks for fps games. I honestly think that they have given up on motion gaming after they saw that Microsoft and Sony were crossing those waters. I think since they took something from Nintendo, Nintendo should do the same and take something from their technology. Game developers are starting to just crack open all motion gaming possibilities. I can't tell you how long I have waited for a game like Skyward Sword. Actually, I can tell you, its since I first played Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Nintendo should of continued Wii like it continued NES with SNES, a logical step.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
NommyNommy
Banned

NommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugugipan View Post
1st of all, the name, wii u. Its an oxymoron, as far as the meaning of the part wii, and the part u go. Second, if nintendo is truly trying to court fps gamers and game developers, the controls make very little sense. The sticks are short like that of ds and the trigger buttons are more like that of the wii remote's b button, which sucks for fps games. I honestly think that they have given up on motion gaming after they saw that microsoft and sony were crossing those waters. I think since they took something from nintendo, nintendo should do the same and take something from their technology. Game developers are starting to just crack open all motion gaming possibilities. I can't tell you how long i have waited for a game like skyward sword. Actually, i can tell you, its since i first played legend of zelda: Ocarina of time. Nintendo should of continued wii like it continued nes with snes, a logical step.
nintendo is going for all games, not just fps's.
Also, you really do not have that much of an opinion on the controller (none of us do) since you've probably have never even held one. I also don't really understand what you are trying to say about motion control and waiting for a game like skyward sword since oot, but ima go ahead and disagree

oh and wii u is a continuation of the wii, just sayin'

Last edited by NommyNommy; 06-28-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 58,200, Level: 100 Points: 58,200, Level: 100 Points: 58,200, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
So...the logical step is for Nintendo to say **** it, and just continue on with the technologically inferior system loaded with party game crap? I think you need to look up the definition of the word logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Old 06-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 6

I gotta break all this down.

Quote:
1st of all, the name, Wii U. Its an oxymoron, as far as the meaning of the part Wii, and the part U go.
It's a pretty clever name brought on about the system and the controller. The system can still draw in the multiplayer aspect that the Wii brought to the table, but it also touts a personal flair for the one with the U controller. Think of it this way, "U put your own touch on the Wii."

Quote:
Second, if Nintendo is truly trying to court fps gamers and game developers, the controls make very little sense. The sticks are short like that of DS and the Trigger buttons are more like that of the Wii Remote's B button, which sucks for fps games.
How do you know? Were you at E3? Did you try out the Wii U's controller? How did it feel?

That's all I'm saying on the matter, because I don't know how it'll feel either.

Quote:
I honestly think that they have given up on motion gaming after they saw that Microsoft and Sony were crossing those waters. I think since they took something from Nintendo, Nintendo should do the same and take something from their technology.
Yeah, the Wii U still packs a built-in accelerometer, just like the Wii.

And really, about the motion-control thing....When people first started mentioning the Wii 2, I, too, think that, before we heard about the controller rumors, that it was a foregone conclusion that Nintendo would copy something from Microsoft and/or Sony.

But that's the thing about Nintendo; they don't do things the way people think they will. The Wind Waker and the Wii-mote come to mind when I think of what they've done differently than expected.

Quote:
Nintendo should of continued Wii like it continued NES with SNES, a logical step.
....They did. They're taking a logical step from Standard Definition on the Wii to High Definition on the Wii U. Everything seems to be more powerful on the Wii U, yet with the accessibility of the Wii by offering backwards compatibility on pretty much anything Wii. How is this not taking a logical step?

I think you're upset because the Wii U isn't the system you thought they would release.

You say that 'game developers are just starting to crack open all motion gaming possibilities'. True, I'll give you that; however, game developers are always learning work with change in the industry. The Wii U is a bit of a change of pace; not as big of one as the Wii was, but it's still a change.

Just like them, consumers need to learn to change. Case in point: graphics. I mean, we went from 8-bit, to 16-bit, to 64-bit, 128-bit, then to HD. We learned to change with them, why not with the rest of what gaming has to offer?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
mugugipan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glastonbury View Post
I gotta break all this down.

It's a pretty clever name brought on about the system and the controller. The system can still draw in the multiplayer aspect that the Wii brought to the table, but it also touts a personal flair for the one with the U controller. Think of it this way, "U put your own touch on the Wii."

How do you know? Were you at E3? Did you try out the Wii U's controller? How did it feel?

That's all I'm saying on the matter, because I don't know how it'll feel either.

Yeah, the Wii U still packs a built-in accelerometer, just like the Wii.

And really, about the motion-control thing....When people first started mentioning the Wii 2, I, too, think that, before we heard about the controller rumors, that it was a foregone conclusion that Nintendo would copy something from Microsoft and/or Sony.

But that's the thing about Nintendo; they don't do things the way people think they will. The Wind Waker and the Wii-mote come to mind when I think of what they've done differently than expected.

....They did. They're taking a logical step from Standard Definition on the Wii to High Definition on the Wii U. Everything seems to be more powerful on the Wii U, yet with the accessibility of the Wii by offering backwards compatibility on pretty much anything Wii. How is this not taking a logical step?

I think you're upset because the Wii U isn't the system you thought they would release.

You say that 'game developers are just starting to crack open all motion gaming possibilities'. True, I'll give you that; however, game developers are always learning work with change in the industry. The Wii U is a bit of a change of pace; not as big of one as the Wii was, but it's still a change.

Just like them, consumers need to learn to change. Case in point: graphics. I mean, we went from 8-bit, to 16-bit, to 64-bit, 128-bit, then to HD. We learned to change with them, why not with the rest of what gaming has to offer?
the motion controls wont be the same and you know it. If you have tried a Nintendo 3DS and a Wii Mote, than you know what the controller is going to feel like.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 56,364, Level: 100 Points: 56,364, Level: 100 Points: 56,364, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Gaming
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
....or we can all agree to reserve criticisms until we have played the console.

Nintendo/PlayStation Network ID: Brandyn_Johnson

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu
Tekken Revolution mains: Steve Fox, Kazuya
Tekken 6 mains: Steve Fox, Jin, Hwoarang
King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim Kaphwan/Joe
Old 06-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
Nintenduendo
Estupidez

Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 

Quote:
the motion controls wont be the same and you know it. If you have tried a Nintendo 3DS and a Wii Mote, than you know what the controller is going to feel like.
Okay, so what? If it's different, it's different. Live with it. Things change. We went from joysticks on the 2600 to D-Pads on the NES; would you have cried foul then, saying that D-pads were a wrong move?

I'm not saying the Wii U's controller is God's gift to motion controls, but, again, so what if it's different?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
mugugipan

Quote:
Okay, so what? If it's different, it's different. Live with it. Things change. We went from joysticks on the 2600 to D-Pads on the NES; would you have cried foul then, saying that D-pads were a wrong move?

I'm not saying the Wii U's controller is God's gift to motion controls, but, again, so what if it's different?
its different bad, not different good
Old 06-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Nintenduendo
Estupidez

Awards Showcase

Quote:
its different bad, not different good
And we go back to my original question: Have you tried it?

This all means doodly-squat if you haven't.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #10
mugugipan

Quote:
And we go back to my original question: Have you tried it?

This all means doodly-squat if you haven't.
Well in any case, if they don't do well, which I don't think they will, critically or money wise, they have a cushion to fall back on and start over.
Closed Thread