Comment

Article Tools
10 Games You never Gave a Chance
Published by SuperGamecube64
07-22-2011

Note: all release dates sued are NTSC

This is not a top 10 list of every game that deserves your time, but rather a list of 10 games out of my own experience that few have given a chance. Not every game is a blockbuster hit, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good game. Sometimes it's poor marketing, sometimes it's simply ignored. Whatever the reason, these games never quite received the attention they deserved.

#10 - Chibi-Robo! Plug Into Adventure!
Also known as Little Robo!

Chibi-Robo! Plug into Adventure! was released on February 6, 2006 is a game that was marketed rather decently, but was still not a success. It had a couple of ads and articles in Nintendo Power Magazine, and I believe even a review. Perhaps a couple of TV spots would have helped boost sales a bit. Originally conceived as a point and click platform adventure game, it eventually dropped the click and point system, and in the final release you have full control of Chibi. Chibi is a cleaning robot purchased by a dysfunctional family as a birthday gift for their daughter. His goal is to make the Sanderson's happy, and become the number 1 chibi-robo int he world. Cleaning and doing them favors is only part of it! At night, the toys int he house come to life. Chibi goes on side quests to help the toys, and there are also evil spider robots running amok. The game takes place inside a 60's style American home, and it's very cool to see it from the perspective of a 2 inch robot. As for my personal experience with this game, when I first saw it, I laughed at it. Later, I played it in a Gamestop and laughed at it even more. a store employee told me not to laugh at his happy points. I took him for crazy, but now that I've played Chibi-Robo! at home and completed the game, he was right - don't make fun of my happy points.

#9 - Dokapon Kingdom

Dokapon Kingdom was released on the Playstation 2 and Wii on October 14, 2008. It is a remake of the game
Dokapon 3,2,1 - Arashi o Yobu Yuujou, which was released for the Super Famicom in 1994. The game seamlessly blends turn based RPG style questing, grinding and combat with classic board game rules to create a title that, in my opinion, makes Mario Party look totally pathetic. In the beginning, you create your character by choosing a color, hairstyle, gender, and class. You roll dice each turn to determine the spaces you may move on the "board". These spaces may award you with gold, take gold away, give you a quest or item, or be inhabited by a monster which you must battle. Battling is simple - You can either guard, attack, use your equipped spell, or counter. attack, guard, and coutner have a rock, paper , scissors like relationship, while magic simply induces your spells effect. If you land on another player's space, you may even battle them, and upon their defeat you may steal their items, money, or if there is nothing you want you may change their hair style to "poop" and change their name to whatever you wish. Nothing beats changes your friends' names to obscenities! Falling too far behind other players? Don't worry! You get to turn into an enemy with super high levels, stats and equipment and ruin the other player's lives!

#8 - Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times
Also known as Enchanted Folk and the School of Wizardry and 365 Days of Pointy Hats and Magic

This is a title which I only just began playing today, and that, in fact, sparked my idea to write this article. Magician's Quest is a title that instantly reminds me of the Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon series. You are a new wizard at the school of your choice. That's basically it. You can spend your time fishing, catching bugs, doing odd jobs for others, or just go around casting fart spells on people. This game has a catalog of items and clothing that actually surpasses that of Animal Crossing's in number. Unlike Animal Crossing, everyone's town layout will be the same. The villagers, however, may be different. There is a wide assortment of animals, undead, and even walking, talking objects which are normally inanimate. I have to give this game credit - its NPCs have more personality and individuality than any from either Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon. So, if you're a fan of the alternate life genre, give this one a shot.

#7 - Pikmin
Also known as Pikumin

You may be surprised to see Pikmin on the list. In fact, almost everyone I've spoken to who even remotely cares about Nintendo has heard of it, and at least has a vague idea of what it is. Only about 1 of every 10, however, has actually played this game - and that's a shame. Pikmin is about survival. Captain Olimar has crashed his ship on a msyterious planet which contains oxygen, which is poisonous to his people. He must explore this planet, presumed by fans to be Earth after human extinction, and use the pikmin to retrieve the parts to his ship and return home. There's a catch - his life support will only last 30 days. if you are unable to repair the ship within 30 game days, Olimar will perish. Pikmin has received a sequel on the Gamecube since its December 2, 2001 release. Pikmin 2 was released on August 30, 2004, and features enhanced graphics, a longer story, and a multiplayer mode. The fans large cult fanbase has been clamoring for a sequel, which Nintendo has alluded to many times, but that still has no official date.

#6 - Bloody Roar 4

Bloody Roar 4 is the 4th entry in the Bloody Roar series, released on November 11, 2003 for the Playstation 2. The characters in this game are known as Zoanthropes, a play on the word lycanthropy, which is a mental disorder in which as individual believes they are a wolf(known more commonly as werewolf syndrome). Zoanthropes are individuals who can change into an animal form. The fighters in Bloody Roar 4 start out as humans at the beginning of the fight. As you attack and form combos, your beat meter rises. when it is full, you can transform your character into their animal form. this changes their move set as well as their statistics. Animals available range from a wolf, to a leopard, to a dragon, and even a plain old house cat and a bunny. Bloody Roar 4 is a great game tat, like its predecessors, is vastly overlooked and underrated.

#5 - BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
Also known as Bureiburu:Karamiti Toruga

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger is a 2D fighting game brought to you by the people who made Guilty Gear. In fact, I like to think of BlazBlue as a much more Westerner friendly Guilty Gear. That's not to say everyone will like it. In fact, if spiky haired anime dudes with humongous swords piss you off, then first off I pity you, and secondly you should stay away from this game. In an age where 3D technology is being pushed more and more, it's refreshing to see a game like this. BlazBlue is without a doubt, absolutely gorgeous. It is also probably the best anime style 2D fighting game I have ever played, and the characters are extremely interesting and fleshed out. To top it all off, the English voice acting isn't completely terrible. This game was released on the PS3 and Xbox 360 on June 30, 2009. Unfortunately, the only people who took the bait were hardcore fighting fanatics or Guilty Gear fans. Don't be part of the problem - give this amazing and gorgeous game a try.

#4 - Sin and Punishment
Also known as Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Earth

Sin and Punishment is a rail shooter game, vaguely reminiscent of Starfox that was released in Japan for the Nintendo 64 in 2000. despite being a Japanese release, this game is fully voiced in English (quite terribly, by the way). Fans cried out for an American release, and their wish was finally granted via the Wii's Virtual Console on October 1, 2007. I should add that this game is quite difficult, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it's over the top action and anime storyline. Don't let this go to waste - encourage Nintendo to release more Japanese exclusive games in America by purchasing this on the Virtual Console. After all, it's only going to cost you $12(1200 points).

#3 - Valkyria Chronicles
Also known as Gallian Chronicles or Battlefield Valkyria: Gallion Chronicles

Valkyria Chronicles was released exclusively for the PS3 on November 4, 2008. Sales were mediocre, but something about it caught my attention, and it became my second PS3 game. I recently sold my PS3, and therefore this game, but if it had a 360 counterpart, I would buy it even now. Valkyia Chronicles is a strategy game, and RPG, and a third person shooter all at the same time. Though stats and class effect your performance, head shots are counted as critical hits. You must match your enemy in both strategy as well as leveling - or if your really good, just strategy. The game takes place in Europa, a world inspired by 1935 Europe, and the story is basically a fantastical re-imagining of World War II. Despite poor sales, there are 2 sequels on the PSP. f you own a PS#, this is definitively one to look out for.

#2 - Worms 3D

Worms 3D was released for the Gamecube and PS2 on March 11, 2004 and for the Xbox on March 1, 2005. The first 3D game in the Worms series, Worms 3D was not perfect. It's main issue is a few glitches, mostly graphical. Like the Worms games of old, you use various weapons to destroy the landscape and eradicate the other team of worms. Weapons range from Uzis, to baseball bats, to exploding cows. The game is loaded with humor, from film references, to downright racist representations of various American and European accents. The campaign will get old faster than you can throw a grenade, but playing this game with friends is infinitely entertaining. Team17 tried the 3D formula again with Worms Forts, but they forgot one of the most fundamental elements of the series - destructible environments. as such, Worms 3D remains superior, and Team17 doesn't seem to have any plans of making another 3D entry in the series. Oh, and yes, that worm is drinking Red Bull.

#1 - Earthbound
Also known as Mother 2

Much like pikmin, you're probably wondering why this is on the list, an at the number 1 spot at that. The game's rabid cult fanbase has made sure as hell that everyone they come in contact with learns about the wonder that is Earthbound. Unfortunately, the majority of people who have not played this game either acknowledge it's greatness and legacy, and just leave it at that, or download the ROM and play it for about an hour, never to return. Earthbound was released for the SNES on June 5, 1995. Earthbound is an RPG in which the playable characters are all children, most of whom are psychic. This game has so many great, odd, and unique qualities to it, that if I were to name them all I would run out of space on this page. I'll just dare everyone reading this to find another game where you fight an enemy named New Age Retro Hippie and leave it at that.

Some games are bound to get lost among the big blockbuster titles. Next time you see that game that didn't quite hit the high sales mark, or got marked down to budget price quickly, pick it up,and give it a shot. You might be surprised.
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64

Article Tools
Sponsored Links
By Tanis on 07-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Nice list, though Calamity Trigger argueably had more players than the second game. Another game I'd like to mention is 999 for the DS. It's an awesome title, yet almost no one has heard of it or played it. It's a shame how most of these good games get shafted because of mainstream titles or poor advertising, tsk tsk.
By Mikematute on 07-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Nice...of all those the one i have played is earthbound and the one i havent and regret not having played is pikmin
By Nintenduendo on 07-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Okay, as for EarthBound, Nintendo did a shit job marketing it.

"This Game Stinks!" was the tagline.

If this game was released in modern times with that tagline, Nintendo would have more than Operation Rainfall to contend with.
By CosmicMega on 07-22-2011, 09:07 PM
I feel kind of sad that the only game on this list I've played is Pikmin. (Coincidentally, while I haven't played EarthBound, I have played Mother 3.)
By Megas75 on 07-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Agreed with Sin and Punishment, Earthbound, and valkyrie Chronicles

I'll also definitely look forward BlazBlue once I'm able to get the right console for it
By Rin on 07-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Played all but 2 of theses, only like 2 of the 8 I played, and that's Pikmin and Earthbound. The two I didn't play are BlazBlue and Magician's Quest.

Still, nice article.
By Lukario on 07-23-2011, 02:08 AM
SuperGameCube should become a psychic because I have not played a single one of these. How did he know????
By Holysnap on 07-23-2011, 05:20 AM
eh i wouldnt of put earthbound on this particular list, especially not at number 1. also blazblue is pretty well liked and played by many. Bloody roar 4 is an awful game and it is for the best that its overlooked by most people.

other than that though pretty good list
By SuperGamecube64 on 07-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holysnap View Post
eh i wouldnt of put earthbound on this particular list, especially not at number 1. also blazblue is pretty well liked and played by many. Bloody roar 4 is an awful game and it is for the best that its overlooked by most people.

other than that though pretty good list
I was kind of reluctant to include Earthbound, honestly, but when it comes down to it, everyone knows about and almost no one has played it.
Comment