Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > General Nintendo Section

Notices

General Nintendo Section All general Nintendo content here.

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Benji_Nottz
Points: 1,484, Level: 21 Points: 1,484, Level: 21 Points: 1,484, Level: 21

Benji_Nottz will become famous soon enoughBenji_Nottz will become famous soon enough

How Nintendo saves its ass & makes a mint with 1 game

Obviously - A Pokemon MMO

Look to world of warcraft for inspiration, ensure it's designed to be an appealling e-sport add optional pay-for content.

I play World of warcraft a lot and Ive heard many talk of how great a pokemon MMO could be. It's quite an obvious step forward too. I have no doubt such a game could last as long as WOW and quite probably generate more cash! Provided it's made to appeal to the MMO crowd
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Final Flourish
Light Grenade
Points: 5,497, Level: 47 Points: 5,497, Level: 47 Points: 5,497, Level: 47
User owns 1x Pegasuses Boots User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x Poke Doll

My Mood: Devilish
Final Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to behold

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 2

And what would you do in a Pokemon MMO?
Most likely the same exact thing you would do on the handheld. I doubt the MMO would have a seperate storyline, and perhaps it would be better that way. Online battles are already possible, so I don't really see the purpose in spending all those funds into making a Pokemon MMO.

And how would a pokemon MMO attract WoW fans? Not that it ever should attempt to. WoW is getting to be pretty out-dated anyway.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
Benji_Nottz
Points: 1,484, Level: 21 Points: 1,484, Level: 21 Points: 1,484, Level: 21

Benji_Nottz will become famous soon enoughBenji_Nottz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Forum Bro View Post
And what would you do in a Pokemon MMO?
Most likely the same exact thing you would do on the handheld. I doubt the MMO would have a seperate storyline, and perhaps it would be better that way. Online battles are already possible, so I don't really see the purpose in spending all those funds into making a Pokemon MMO.

And how would a pokemon MMO attract WoW fans? Not that it ever should attempt to. WoW is getting to be pretty out-dated anyway.
WoW players arent mostly Warcraft fans - they are MMO fans. In my guild I was the only one for whom WoW was the only MMO I had played. Yep it sure is dated, but MMOs live on and they are happy to migrate to other MMOs. Pokemon offers to MMO fans a new perspective collecting classes rather than playing as one at a time, and the sheer amount of Pokemon means many more collectables and extended gameplay for those who do a lot of grinding or are completionists. The potential for end game content is therefore massive. I cant stress the E sport element enough either, theres a lot of money to be made, at least many other companies doing quite well think. Pokemon is an obvious fit and its obvious it would work best on a console than a handheld, and it really should include every pokemon and every pokemon trained up on the same game - rather than a Pokemon Stadium style link up....If pokemon belonged to anyone else I reckon they'd already be on it.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
Zdawg
Proud Nerd!
Points: 316, Level: 6 Points: 316, Level: 6 Points: 316, Level: 6

Zdawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Actualy there was a fan made pokemon MMO, pokemonbattlearena, but i think it got shut down, andthere was always pokemon crater, but sadly that got shut down as well. i think alot of the allure is that you can go around, like in most MMO's and meet your friends, because without that multiplayer/community aspect and MMO is just another game, im sure they would make plenty of features that require community efforts, such as huge bosses, required guild members for a quest, pokemon dungeons, ect. They would have to step up their game though, because as WFB said you can already battle online, but as Nintendo has proved once and again is that they are resourceful and clever, and i honestly think they could make it work
Old 08-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
Final Flourish
Light Grenade
User owns 1x Pegasuses Boots User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x Poke Doll

Final Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to beholdFinal Flourish is a splendid one to behold

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster 

Well, if you aren't really controlling the movement of each pokemon then I don't think comparing them to different classes would be sensible. I agree with your point that Pokemon would benefit from having more console games, but seeing as how Pokemon has traditionally always made their next-gen game handheld, I doubt they'd change now. One thing that I'm a bit skeptical of is: I cant stress the E sport element enough either, theres a lot of money to be made. How do you know this? The Majority of the pokemon fanbase are, as much as I like my pokemanz as the next guy, children, not MMOers. You have to consider how many pokemon fans will jump to the MMO, and not depend on how many MMOers will get curious and hop into the MMO.

But I'm not saying you're wrong in any way. If you wanted to make my point moot you'd just have to look at Dragon Ball Z online; they make millions even though it's just the average joe MMO with Dragon Ball Z characters hotglued into it.

Last edited by Final Flourish; 08-03-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,242, Level: 100 Points: 38,242, Level: 100 Points: 38,242, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Forum Bro View Post
The Majority of the pokemon fanbase are, as much as I like my pokemanz as much as the next guy, children, not MMOers

Even though this is what it's suppose to be, during the time period since the first generation of Pokemon, there's probably more adults playing than children right now. It doesn't sound too good.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Old 08-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
Zdawg
Proud Nerd!
Points: 316, Level: 6 Points: 316, Level: 6 Points: 316, Level: 6

Zdawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Konata View Post
Even though this is what it's suppose to be, during the time period since the first generation of Pokemon, there's probably more adults playing than children right now. It doesn't sound too good.
Honestly thats probably true, my buddy and i are going to college in a few weeks and for the last two pokemon games we have either been there the first day to get them or near the first day and there were alot more older people than kids.
this guy even wrote in my senior year book that he was going to kick my arse in the sixth gen.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
Final Flourish
Light Grenade

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster 

I can tell where this is heading..
We'll need pie charts, bar graphs and every other way of telling what is the ratio of how many kids play pokemon than adults.
Anecdotal information isn't the same as actual information, y'know?

Well..
Chop chop!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
Tanis
Ordinary
Points: 6,095, Level: 50 Points: 6,095, Level: 50 Points: 6,095, Level: 50
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Bomb User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Tired
Tanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Brawl AM First Time Award Signature of the Month Royalty Welcome Wagon Poster Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 6

3DS Friend Code: 034493603259 PSN ID: Tanis-sama WiiU ID: Peridot-sama
There should be a good mix of children and adults playing Pokemon right, but I think there are more adults than kids playing, mainly those who've been around since Gen I. If this game were to ever come to light it'd be a good thing. I don't know about you, but I like my MMO's not to be infested with 12 year olds.

Edit: You're probably right WFB. Too bad I'm too lazy to look up such information. :3
Old 08-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
Final Flourish
Light Grenade

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster 

Wah? But twelve year olds are what makes an MMO an MMO. Without them it's like eating cake without gaining any calories. They are the balance, the compromise, the subtle war all MMOers must fight to have the liberty to play and stuff.

But in all seriousness..
The development of Pokemon has always been a straight and narrow road: Handheld, variant handheld produced to milk the fans, spinoff, rinse and repeat. Thus I find the production of a Pokemon MMO to be very unlikely. Although I'm unsure as to how well a Pokemon MMO would develop in the arms of a generally needy franchise, it's not something I necessarily don't want to happen.