Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
Benji_Nottz
Points: 1,484, Level: 21 Points: 1,484, Level: 21 Points: 1,484, Level: 21

Benji_Nottz will become famous soon enoughBenji_Nottz will become famous soon enough

Next gen consoles will fail? Mobiles the future? WiiU not ideal for devs?

Thats according to to 'Epic games' producer Mike Capps. The story can be found at My Nintendo News.

Personally I think far too many are overstating the significant of phones, I think most want to play on a big screen and many games like COD seems far to complex to be pulled off on a phone as they are on a console. I think I pads and phopne arent being seen by the general customer as a gaming device and thus they dont buy them with gaming in mind - its more of a bonus.

Personally I think the biggest threat to consoles is that 'ONLive' thing at e3 2 years ago which has gone rather quite.

His comments went on to talk about the WiiU:

"I’d hate to say that the Wii U is late; in fact, you could almost argue that it’s early,” Capps began. “They’re aiming for a point beyond the current generation – they’re just not leapfrogging it. One can certainly envision a future a couple years down the road where we have some significantly leapfrogged generation and then the Wii U again becomes a system that’s not easily portable between the other platforms. But honestly, I think the bigger challenge for us is mobile.”

Bigger challenege my bum - maybe to get noticed but clearly its much much cheaper - you're never gonna need a final fantasy COD or even Mario budget to make any game for a mobile device. Not at least yet anyway. I also sense that anyone who enjoys games on their mobiles isn;t thinking of waving goodbye to consoles.

This guys comments aren't the first of their type, Personally I feel like they are almost trying to herd us towards this option, they seem far to eager to keep making this point....Nintendo of course strongly disagree, and these people did say this back at the start of DS and PSP in relation to them and it doesn't seem to have done either any harm.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 59,756, Level: 100 Points: 59,756, Level: 100 Points: 59,756, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Lonely
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 16

Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 0147-1346-8804 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: brandyn1994
I doubt people will begin prefering Mobile over consoles, though it has become a standard for game systems to be multi-media, which some might focus more on than the gaming aspect.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
NommyNommy
Banned

NommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to behold

Onlive is great, I use it a lot.

and lol@epicgames
Old 08-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
Handhelds will never replace consoles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Old 08-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Rin
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 39,442, Level: 100 Points: 39,442, Level: 100 Points: 39,442, Level: 100

Rin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Level 100 Award Member of the Month Monster Poster Yoshi Poster 
Total Awards: 7

I wouldn't say never, but certainly not any time soon.

As far as anyone knows, the power of the Wii U is unknown and still not final, so any comments on it other than speculation are idiotic to me.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 24,201, Level: 94 Points: 24,201, Level: 94 Points: 24,201, Level: 94
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
Mobile gaming killing consoles, that's a good one
Old 08-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji_Nottz View Post
Personally I think far too many are overstating the significant of phones, I think most want to play on a big screen and many games like COD seems far to complex to be pulled off on a phone as they are on a console. I think I pads and phopne arent being seen by the general customer as a gaming device and thus they dont buy them with gaming in mind - its more of a bonus.
The thing about smartphones, not just iPhones or iPads, is that they're constantly changing. Even if it's too early to say that smartphones are dethroning handheld gaming, it's putting a dent into that market, and both Nintendo and Sony cannot deny that fact.

And I am inclined to disagree with you: if you've seen advertisements for smartphones, you can tell from the pitch that these things are also geared for gaming on the go, even if it's as subtle as a blurb about Angry Birds.

It's becoming more than a bonus, as many game devs are now considering the possibility of producing games for smartphones.

Quote:
Personally I think the biggest threat to consoles is that 'ONLive' thing at e3 2 years ago which has gone rather quite.
I don't see it as a significant threat yet; I would see Steam as a bigger threat than OnLive. Time will tell though.

Quote:
"I’d hate to say that the Wii U is late; in fact, you could almost argue that it’s early,” Capps began. “They’re aiming for a point beyond the current generation – they’re just not leapfrogging it. One can certainly envision a future a couple years down the road where we have some significantly leapfrogged generation and then the Wii U again becomes a system that’s not easily portable between the other platforms. But honestly, I think the bigger challenge for us is mobile.”
I'm on the fence about this quote. I understand his concern about the system being portable, but I guess my biggest question is what has changed graphically in the past 5-6 years that would show that Microsoft and Sony need to release another console?

I seriously don't know; can anyone tell me what has significantly changed in that aspect to where Microsoft and Sony would need to release another console?

Quote:
Bigger challenege my bum - maybe to get noticed but clearly its much much cheaper - you're never gonna need a final fantasy COD or even Mario budget to make any game for a mobile device. Not at least yet anyway. I also sense that anyone who enjoys games on their mobiles isn;t thinking of waving goodbye to consoles.
Handhelds, much in the same way as smartphones, are becoming more powerful with each console; it's actually been said that the Vita is a 'portable PS3' when it comes to power.

So, if you have a handheld version of a console game that looks just as good as its console counterpart, why wouldn't you want the handheld verson to take with you wherever, instead of being restricted to one area? I think that's the challenge right there.

We're not quite there yet, however, but it may come soon enough.

Quote:
This guys comments aren't the first of their type, Personally I feel like they are almost trying to herd us towards this option, they seem far to eager to keep making this point....Nintendo of course strongly disagree, and these people did say this back at the start of DS and PSP in relation to them and it doesn't seem to have done either any harm.

Thoughts?
I think the point they're trying to raise is far more desperate now, considering that, like I said, handhelds and smartphones are becoming more of a threat to consoles than ever before.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:26 AM   #8
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,499, Level: 100 Points: 38,499, Level: 100 Points: 38,499, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Ice Bucket Challenge Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 14

It's not even possible for mobile gaming to be a threat for any console. This thread is pretty much a useless theory.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Old 08-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
Benji_Nottz
Points: 1,484, Level: 21 Points: 1,484, Level: 21 Points: 1,484, Level: 21

Benji_Nottz will become famous soon enoughBenji_Nottz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Konata View Post
It's not even possible for mobile gaming to be a threat for any console. This thread is pretty much a useless theory.
I dont agree with it either, consoles aren't going anywhere anytime soon. but it is an arguement people have banded around for quite sometime now. Or at least IGN never shut up about it.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #10
Angelstar
Goomba
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1

Angelstar is an unknown quantity at this point

PSN ID: devilstar222 Xbox Live Gamertag: coming soon
I think the furthest mobiles will get to is possibly overthrowing hand helds like the Ds.
Closed Thread