Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 23,488, Level: 94 Points: 23,488, Level: 94 Points: 23,488, Level: 94
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
Next gen is about the controller, not graphics

Quote:
Peter Moore - Wii U won't be a transitional platform, graphics can only go so far, Nintendo committed to online

Aug 08, 2011 by RawmeatCowboy

"People will start talking about it being a transitional platform. And I donít think thatís going to be the case, and hereís why. I think the [tablet] controller [is huge]. This is not about specs anymore... This is about, as it was with the Wii, is the controller a unique way of enjoying a game experience, regardless of what the graphic fidelity is?

Look, you saw Battlefield - how much better could this stuff look at some point? Thereís a point of diminishing returns... I donít even know if thereís anything better than 1080p. In the early days of our industry, this stuff was absolutely about how much better the games looked - shinier helmets, greener grass Ė but Iíve been around long enough to know that seeing your breath in a football game is a huge deal. But thatís no longer the case any more. Now itís about interfaces. Now itís about building a community in a rich, powerful,way. And now itís about, 'What is the way we can control the game?' Youíve seen that with Move, youíve seen it with Wii MotionPlus more recently, and youíve certainly seen it with Kinect.

And Nintendoís job, quite frankly, is to build a better mousetrap with regards to the way that we use the controller. So I donít know what Xbox and PlayStationís plans for their next platforms are, but itís not going to be hanging on graphic fidelity. I guarantee you that.

Itís critically important to us and we are relieved, if anything else, that they have made a huge commitment that they have presented to us... Online certainly was not a factor with the Wii, as you know; although they had capabilities, it just wasnít there at the level that both Xbox Live and PlayStation had. But I think Nintendo totally gets that multi-player, building community, co-op play, having the ability to bring games that are deeper - all of these things are now very important." - EA's Peter Moore

With Peter Moore stepping up in the company recently, you can't ignore the importance of his statements. With this kind of talk about the Wii U, I'm starting to feel even more confident of the platform.
SOURCE: http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstor...8b3f6682cfc1de

Very interesting read. What do you think? Are you pondering to know how this "controller war" will wind up? Do you you really think graphics have peaked?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 6

I really don't see graphics as the main thing to worry about right now. I mean, the only thing you have left to do is 3D, and even that is a gimmick by certain people's standards.

Please, someone prove me wrong, because I have a feeling I'm wrong on this issue.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
xXMence and FlowXx
Shut up the ****!
Points: 1,191, Level: 18 Points: 1,191, Level: 18 Points: 1,191, Level: 18
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Bomb User owns 1x Bow and Arrow

My Mood: Horny
xXMence and FlowXx is just really nicexXMence and FlowXx is just really nicexXMence and FlowXx is just really nicexXMence and FlowXx is just really nice

Awards Showcase
Royalty 
Total Awards: 1

Yeah, graphics really can't get better than what they are now without taking too much data on the disc. But what Microsoft and Sony can do is experiment with new ways to play. Like Nintendo has done with the Wii, and later Wii U.

MS can ditch Kinect, no one is ready for that, as well as gamers, since all we want to do is sit on our asses, Laugh, eat, and play games. Sony will just copy Nintendo, or be stubborn and stick to its formula it has currently with the PS3.

Like Glast said, only way to go with graphics is 3D, which people already hate. You can argue that the 3DS having 3D, but 3D on an handheld isn't nearly as bad on a big screen. I'm not saying 3D is a gimmick, but rather its unneeded.

Sony and Microsoft need to step it up, and come up with some solid ideas. But something tells me the PS4 and Xbox720 are just going to have some new unnecessary features, a bit more powerful, and the "FPS is hardcore so we'll invest and release a billion of them" formula.

Mence and Flow!!

Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 AM   #4
AlloftheAbove
Numbah Wan
Points: 23,634, Level: 94 Points: 23,634, Level: 94 Points: 23,634, Level: 94
User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Grey Chaos Emerald

My Mood: Gaming
AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month Review of the Month Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award NFF Referrer Review of the Month Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 38

3DS Friend Code: 4382-1995-8800 Xbox Live Gamertag: RaptorWaffles WiiU ID: AlloftheAbove
Fanboys or not, Nintendo gamers have always known that the key to a good game lies in its gameplay. It may not necessarily be a 'controller' war of sorts, but at least people are starting to move away from this stupid "realistic headshot = good game" mindset.

Nintendo is all about stepping things up. Back when the Wii was released, I don't think they realised the role that graphics would play in the upcoming video game market. It's reassuring that Nintendo has released the Wii U to not only give gamers a "you happy now?" but to also take things up a notch in the way we play video games.
Whether this change is for better or worse is open for speculation, but time will tell.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #5
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,061, Level: 100 Points: 38,061, Level: 100 Points: 38,061, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

Knowing the current gamer generation you'll always see fanboys using the graphics argument even when they all have the same capabilities.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Old 08-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
Benji_Nottz
Points: 1,484, Level: 21 Points: 1,484, Level: 21 Points: 1,484, Level: 21

Benji_Nottz will become famous soon enoughBenji_Nottz will become famous soon enough

Not fussed about top notch graphics either, but if Nintendo is serious about drawing in gamers that normally dont look Nintendos way, they need to make sure WiiU is a console that gets 2 thumbs up from developers that fell out with Wii or never bothered with it.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji_Nottz View Post
Not fussed about top notch graphics either, but if Nintendo is serious about drawing in gamers that normally dont look Nintendos way, they need to make sure WiiU is a console that gets 2 thumbs up from developers that fell out with Wii or never bothered with it.
Given the reception it's gotten from developers, they would probably give three thumbs-up.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
Rin
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 39,442, Level: 100 Points: 39,442, Level: 100 Points: 39,442, Level: 100

Rin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Level 100 Award Member of the Month Monster Poster Yoshi Poster 
Total Awards: 7

Graphics haven't peaked, but they're plateauing a bit.

As for the controller war, it'll be less about what the controller is and more about how it's used. Great tech is only half the game. You need great games to utilize it.

Until we know MS and Sony's direction with their new consoles, whenever the hell that may be, we can't really say much about what they will or will not do.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
CosmicMega
A Mega Guy in Cosmos
Points: 1,695, Level: 23 Points: 1,695, Level: 23 Points: 1,695, Level: 23

CosmicMega has a spectacular aura aboutCosmicMega has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 1

I'm happy with this announcement. Nintendo I think has the right idea of where the next generation should go. I'm not sure if I've been too happy with this gen almost entirely because of all the whiny fanboys who just want to see enemy soldiers' blood spurt realistically.

But it really depends on where Microsoft and Sony go with their next consoles, so things could stay the same or change drastically. I'm hoping we'll see a little change (and by a little change, I do not mean an industry shift towards 3D, Sony :I)
Old 08-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #10
Benji_Nottz
Points: 1,484, Level: 21 Points: 1,484, Level: 21 Points: 1,484, Level: 21

Benji_Nottz will become famous soon enoughBenji_Nottz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glastonbury View Post
Given the reception it's gotten from developers, they would probably give three thumbs-up.
I honestly hope so. however looking back at the Wiis' annoucement they all seemed more excited about that than WiiU. EA's top guy is currently defending the WiiU already saying it isn't a transitional console. So the cynics are already out and about.
Closed Thread