Lucario  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Microsoft Xbox

Notices

Microsoft Xbox Post anything relating to Microsoft Xbox and Xbox One.

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
Gareth

Rant - Achievements/DLC

Hi i'm Gareth and i wanted to talk about two Xbox phenomenons in particular
One being achievements and the other Downloadable content which we shall touch apon later.

We can start with achievements. I'm OCD and have major problems with achievements, Main one being that they
look vey untidy. Scrolling down my gamercard it can be very frustrating to see perfect 1000's ruined by
the odd 560 or 80G feeling that i've left the game unfinished. It doesn't help when other players are seen
taking this to the extremes by using it as a way to show skill. Have you ever been in a game where you or
somebody else is being ridiculed for having a low gamerscore in a particular game? It's even worse when
people are treat like gods for just having a high score. Theres even sites dedicated to the acknowledgement
and celebration of peoples achievements such as Trueachievements.com or xbox360achievements.org, some people
are so addicited they will spend days even weeks on a single game trying to get that final achievement
I've even heard of people paying real money just so they can keep up there 100% Streak.
Although i'm not here to bash Achievements there are pros to gamerscore, bringing people together to boost
certain games can create friendships. You'll also find yourself picking up a game you would normally never
look at for the chance of getting achievements. It can also expand gameplay.
Some developers take it to the extreme and force players to grind out petty tasks on other wise great games
which can really ruin the overall feel of the game and aliennate some players from even picking them up.

Speaking of developers this brings us to Downloadable Content also known as DLC. I swear some developers
are just out to provoke me. I find that theres two types of DLC; One made because developers thought that
it would be a fun to play and might give players a reason to dust off th the game e.g Oblivion or Halo.
The other type created for developers to make money E.G Online Passes or by exploiting peoples addicition
to 100% streaks or
cutting chunks out of the game to then sell later. A good example of this would be The Beatles Rockband
missing most of the top hits. Duke Nukem Forever is doing the same trick while i understand they might not
have had time to fit this new single player chapter and had to bring it out later as DLC. I don't understand
why they had to charge for it, Duke Nukem wasn't worth the 40 price tag on release so why now would it
be worth 50 because they added one new chapter?

Overall both Achievements & DLC are Cruicial to this generation of games. You as the viewer needs to take
action by refusing to pay good money to play online or to get items that should have already been shipped
with the game or treating others differntly for there gamerscore.

-Sources
-Trueachievements.com
-Xbox360achievements.org
-Youtube.com

Don't forget to leave a comment on your opinion.

- I was thinking of adopting my little speech into a video. Any ideas, feedback or thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2011, 01:25 AM   #2
NommyNommy
Banned

NommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to behold

Halo dlc is ****ing horrible, can't play half the game without the dlc.

and as long as achievements don't get you any reward at all, I couldn't care less about them. If the random 560/1000 is bothering you, don't look at your achievements.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
Benji_Nottz
Points: 1,484, Level: 21 Points: 1,484, Level: 21 Points: 1,484, Level: 21

Benji_Nottz will become famous soon enoughBenji_Nottz will become famous soon enough

DLC to me should be optional bonus content or if forced on you, free. We joke about a guy with a 360 who goes out and buys the cheapest games with the most achievements to be won to up his profile. (Well was a while ago now). I like achievements to a point, but sometimes it's clearly implemented to goed people into spending more money, its one of the reason Ive never bothered much with playstation and Xbox, theyve always got dozens things which stop you just playing the game at the price you brought it, although thats probably more the fault of the likes of Activision, who really are taking the piss.

Theonly pay to play game I've done is world of warcraft, and its getting much worse since Activision took charge, We've gone from free updates to the latest expansion being chopped up in parts to make it seem like were getting something extra...A year since cataclysm and they still havent put the last boss in the game yet.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
Gareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NommyNommy View Post
as long as achievements don't get you any reward at all, I couldn't care less about them.
Describe reward? Halo 3 gave you a certain armour permutation for getting all the original achievements. You think this is good and it will make the multiplayer enthusiasts play the SP to the fullest or what?

Old 08-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Brandyn
The Gentleman
Points: 56,560, Level: 100 Points: 56,560, Level: 100 Points: 56,560, Level: 100
User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Four Sword
User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 1x Fire Element

My Mood: Gaming
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards Brawl AM First Time Award Mufasa Yoshi NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month Level 100 Award 
Total Awards: 15

Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn Send a message via Skype™ to Brandyn 3DS Friend Code: 3282-3036-3021 PSN ID: Brandyn_Johnson WiiU ID: Brandyn_Johnson
You should totally make a video on it, G.

Nintendo/PlayStation Network ID: Brandyn_Johnson

Ultra Street Fighter IV mains: Gen, Dudley, Ryu
Tekken Revolution mains: Steve Fox, Kazuya
Tekken 6 mains: Steve Fox, Jin, Hwoarang
King of Fighters XIII team: Ryo/Kim Kaphwan/Joe
Old 08-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
NommyNommy
Banned

NommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
Describe reward? Halo 3 gave you a certain armour permutation for getting all the original achievements. You think this is good and it will make the multiplayer enthusiasts play the SP to the fullest or what?
lol halo armor, worst prize ever

I was talking more along the lines of like xbl points or some free months added a gold account, I dunno. This is microsoft though, so it will never happen.

Sony could do something like, you get a dollar or two for every platinum trophy or something. As long as either of them don't make the rewards something shitty like free things for your avatar/PS home, I'd be happy.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
Gareth

You could argue that avatar awards are already in effect. Some are linked to achievements.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
NommyNommy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
You could argue that avatar awards are already in effect. Some are linked to achievements.
no one ****ing cares about avatars in the first place

bad rewards
Old 08-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji_Nottz View Post
I like achievements to a point, but sometimes it's clearly implemented to goed people into spending more money, its one of the reason Ive never bothered much with playstation and Xbox, theyve always got dozens things which stop you just playing the game at the price you brought it, although thats probably more the fault of the likes of Activision, who really are taking the piss.
Achievements don't cost money, nor can you use them as partial credit towards any game. They're just optional little things to do to increase your Gamerscore.

I think you mean DLC, which I have a beef with when the DLC is already on the disc, but I think the only time that became a problem was with Mortal Kombat 9, though I might be mistaken.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 37,125, Level: 100 Points: 37,125, Level: 100 Points: 37,125, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

Achievements, or Trophies (PS3), are there for a really crucial point. Replay value. A lot of games are completed once, and put back down. Most achievements require people to complete the game more than once, or at least go through it again to get one you couldn't before. An example of this would be Fallout, because of the karma achievements, and certain quests. I spent a lot of time playing Resident Evil 5, Bioshock, and LittleBigPlanet for Achievements/trophies. When I got them I didn't go back to them. They aren't important, but if you don't have them all, you haven't completed it, and that's what pulls the gamer back. That's probably the only reason I go back to my PS3/360 games more than my Wii games.

As for DLC, it's for money. Well, and to make a few gamers believe it wasn't already prepared before the games release.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Closed Thread