Member Articles Members Articles

Closed Article

Article Tools
GB's Video Game Character of the Week #1: Luigi
Published by Brandyn
08-28-2011

This is a new thing I'm doing. I probably won't do it every single week, though.

The best choice for number one is none other than my favorite Mario character, the man in green himself.

~Luigi~

First Appearance: Mario Bros. Arcade (1983)
Latest Appearance: Mario Sports Mix (2010)

Profile: Luigi is very much the definintion of "Player 2". He began as nothing more than a mere palette swap of Mario in the original Mario Bros arcade game, and while he's gained his own identity over the years his role in the series is still pretty much being the character controlled by Player 2.
He moved on to aid Mario in saving the Princess in the Super Mario Bros series. He would sometimes get the kiss from the princess if he is the one to rescue her instead of Mario...but canonically I don't believe he ever has, heh.
Luigi would finally get some time in the spotlight with his own game, Mario Is Missing.I vividly remember my parents renting me this game. At first, I thought playing as Luigi in "the real world" was pretty neat. Until I realized I was actually supposed to perform specific tasks. Then I realized I was playing...an educational game. All in all it was kind of dissapointing. Of course, Luigi is a regular on the roster of Mario party and sports games. Nintendo even gave Luigi his own rival in Waluigi in Mario Tennis (2000).
Then comes the Super Smash Bros series, with Luigi becoming one of the original 12 contenders. He was virtually a clone of Mario, but Luigi fans were grateful for his inclusion nevertheless. Naturally Luigi would subsequently appear as a playable character in Super Smash Bros Melee (2001). It may be me, but it seems he got worse. Bad traction and he just didn't feel as strong as Mario, he felt more like a watered-down version (save for his up-close version of the Super Jump Punch, but getting right into the enemy's arms isn't easy for 'weegee). That's just my opinion, however.
It was also around this time that the lean mean green machine would get his own game once again, in Luigi's Mansion. Praying this would make up for Mario Is Missing, I gave it a shot and got it at launch. As a nine year old, I was not impressed. The game came off as boring and didn't really feel like a Mario (or, Luigi) game at all. I sold it. Years later I recently re-bought it, and while the game has very much grown on me it's still not really the Luigi adventure I want. I mean, if Peach can get her own sidescroller with its own story that's pretty much all we want for Luigi.
Luigi would return for Brawl, and though he seems better than he was in Melee (due largely in part to the fact that he has his actual voice and not that high pitched ear rape of a voice from Smash 64 and Melee), his Final Smash is just so...for lack of a better word, stupid. Effective, but just so...insane.

More recently, Luigi has played a bigger role through the Mario RPG games, but even in those, he's still something of a joke; even Bowser doesn't really remember his name. Talk about sad. On top of that, Luigi's character over the years has turned into a sniveling scaredy cat. However...he might have a dark side as well.

Throughout it all though, I have hope that one day, the lean mean green machine will star in his own game (that's actually really good).

Trivia:

In the Super Mario Bros Movie, Luigi's last name is Mario. Luigi states that Mario is both his father and his brother. That's right. Perhaps his career was just doomed from the start...that's why I can't watch this movie today, because having watched it as a little kid and growing up, I finally got what that must mean.

Luigi then:

Luigi's Sprite in Mario Bros.

Luigi now:

New Super Mario Bros Wii.
Published by
The Gentleman
Brandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond reputeBrandyn has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandyn Send a message via Yahoo to Brandyn

Article Tools
Sponsored Links
By Rampharos on 09-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Very nice, I liked the before and after shots
By Brandyn on 09-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks, yes it is funny to think that that model evolved from that sprite.
By Mario on 09-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Oh how Luigi has changed.
By xXDaKidXx on 09-20-2011, 03:06 PM
inb4moreluigifansthanmario

I love Luigi, and I kinda like the fact that he's not in the spotlight like Mario, it actually makes him shine more. You didn't mention this but, ever since SMB: The Lost Levels and SMB2, Luigi has been noted to be better than Mario in almost every aspect. He has more agility, he's stronger, he jumps higher, and he can preform other things, Mario can't at all.

Besides his slight cumpsyness and "Fear" (Which Luigi has overcome) he's everything Mario isn't, which gives him something a lot of people can relate to, the fact that your potential can be over looked by someone more "Popular" than you. When in fact you're the prodigy so to speak. I think Miyamoto had this in mind.

This is why Luigi is so lovable to me, and millions.
Last edited by xXDaKidXx; 09-24-2011 at 05:48 AM..
By Brandyn on 09-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXDaKidXx View Post
inb4moreluigifansthanmario

I love Luigi, and I kinda like the fact that he's not in the spotlight like Mario, it actually makes him shine more. You didn't mention this but, ever since SMB: The Lost Levels and SMB2, Luigi has been noted to be better than Mario in almost every aspect. He has more agility, he's stronger, he jumps higher, and he can preform other things, Mario can't at all.

Besides his slight cumpsyness and "Fear" (Which Luigi has overcome) he's everything Mario isn't, which gives him something a lot of people can relate to, the fact that you're potential can be over looked by someone more "Popular" than you. When in fact you're the prodigy so to speak. I think Miyamoto had this in mind.

This is why Luigi is so lovable to me, and millions.
That was very well spoken, Kid. Very, very true as well!
By Holysnap on 11-05-2011, 10:43 PM
@dakid - since when did luigi have better stats and mario? mario is more well balanced where as luigi can jump higher but is harder to control
By Brandyn on 11-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Well in the Mario games he can jump higher and run faster I believe. Doesn't seem to be any noticeable control difference in the Super Mario Bros games outside of that.
By Holysnap on 11-07-2011, 01:21 AM
i believe it differs game to game. one strength he does mostly have is his high jump, but other than that he is sometimes slower than mario, or faster but with slow acceleration and bad traction. He is never stronger either, in mario bros. 2 he is the second weakest.

It's not fair to say he has better stats because he doesn't, they're just more variable
By xXDaKidXx on 11-14-2011, 02:57 AM
Games have shown that Luigi is faster than Mario (not talking bout running speed specifically.) but he does actually run faster. Also that he has more agility, can float for a period of time while jumping, or glide. Luigi is actually better at almost EVERYTHING Mario can do.

Do you need a list of games that confirm these?
Closed Article