Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Nintendo Retro Consoles > Super Nintendo

Notices

Super Nintendo Super Nintendo section post here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
radtastic89
Goomba
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1

radtastic89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Playing US Games On A Super Famicom ?

Hello there everybody I'm new here and I was thinking about buying a Super Famicom off Ebay and was wondering how I can play American Super Nintendo games on it ? Now you must be saying to yourself "Rad why don't you just buy a Super Nintendo it would be simpler." My answer to that is I think the Super Famicom looks so much better then the American SNES.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
NommyNommy
Banned

NommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to behold

Here are your options:

1) Mod the SFC
2) Play the games in japanese
3) Learn japanese, then play them in japanese

I did hear the region lock is easy to break on the games though
Old 08-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
radtastic89
Goomba
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1

radtastic89 is an unknown quantity at this point

How would I mod it ?
Old 08-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
NommyNommy
Banned

NommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to behold

I dunno

but seriously, why such the hassle for getting a super famicom? snes and sfc look very similar.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:31 AM   #5
TT2600
Goomba
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1

TT2600 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well all depends if it says Super Nintendo on the front or Super Famicom. I know alot of Americans refer to the Famicom as all the Super Nintendo's of that shape. However there is the Australian/European PAL version that is exactly the same looking but says Super Nintendo on the front rather then Super Famicom.

Now if it says Super Famicom you are stuck with Japanese carts only! That being said if its Super Nintendo from Aus or Europe you should be fine with the language barrier.

Biggest problem you will have is that the SNES from the States is NTSC and the Australian/European is PAL version. I am almost certain that US carts-NTSC will not work on a PAL version SNES as PAL runs at 50hz while NTSC at 60hz.

There is people that can mod a PAL version and install a switch for 60 or 50hz option(NTSC-PAL). Or you can look for an adapter cart where the NTSC-US cart sits on ,a piggy back type cart. Hope this helps you out and good luck
Old 09-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
Zero
Smashing Brothers
Points: 3,996, Level: 40 Points: 3,996, Level: 40 Points: 3,996, Level: 40
User owns 1x Poke Ball User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo DS
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote

My Mood: Amused
Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Poster Super Member Royalty 
Total Awards: 4

Angry

Probably Super Metroid. The game alone isn't all that rare, but the one Zero owns is complete with the poster, all of the inserts, ads, paperwork, etc. And everything about it is dead mint.