Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Paper Mario
Paper Mario
Did Mario go on a diet?
Published by Colorful CrAzYoNzZ
09-08-2011
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Sm Mario Paper Mario

It’s everyone’s favorite mustachioed plumber! This time, he looks a little different…oh yeah, he’s made of paper!

Paper Mario is an interesting take on the Mario series, where our favorite hero takes on the consistency of paper, along with all of its characteristics. Everyone around him also looks like cardboard cutouts, and I believe the entire story takes place inside of a storybook.

The story is just like any other; Bowser kidnaps Princess Peach, again. Although, this time it is with a twist. Bowser builds a castle underneath Princess Peach’s castle, and lifts it up into the air. Bowser also managed to steal the Star Rod, which is used to grant wishes, and uses it for his own selfish desires, to make himself stronger so he can beat Mario. When Mario tries to protect the Princess, Bowser demonstrates his new power, and knocks Mario out of a window so he floats down to Earth and our story begins…

This game is cute as it moves in chapters, again coming back to what I said about it being a storybook. I like the added bonus of in between chapters; you may play as Princess Peach for a short while. Although she can’t do much at first, she increasingly becomes of greater help to Mario as the game progresses.

The game is very nice to look at. Water glitters, buildings are well-detailed, and the game is full of interesting sights to see all over the vast world. I think this is what made the game stand out to me; it is very detailed for its time, as it came out on the 64. What I haven’t understood, though, is how the landscape looks 3-D while the characters are paper cutouts. Maybe it’s all part of the storybook feel.

The game play is great. The option to wear “Badges” that improve battle make combat more like a stunt show with all the things you can make Mario do. At first he can only “Jump” and “Hammer” but later on, when you acquire more badges, he can do more elaborate attacks, not to mention when you get the “Action Command”, which further improves your attacks and defense. This, in combination with the graphics and storyline, make it a great game all around. My favorite part is all the different locations you can visit, from a desert, to a meadow, and even inside a toybox!

The story keeps you engaged, with the cast of quirky characters and many partners that can accompany you on your journey. I find it greatly satisfying to defeat a boss and gain another Star Spirit; the things necessary to win back the Star Rod from Bowser’s evil grasp, and ultimately, save the Princess.

The controls are easy to use, and very basic. Jump with A, run with the control stick, and so on. Although, you need to time your taps well if you want to make the most out of Mario’s attacks. If you press a button at the right time, Mario can jump twice on an enemy, or block a foe’s attack. Some badges require you to press a button in a timely manner to increase damage.

I really enjoy the game’s music. It sounds very Mario-ish and is catchy to listen to. Some of the tunes, especially Princess Peach’s castle and Bowser’s themes, are very familiar to Mario fans and will be welcomed.

Even though poor Mario was reduced to a flimsy cardboard cutout in this game, it was not a disgrace. Instead, Paper Mario has made a wonderful game I come back to again and again. Once I pick it up for another run, which I do at least once every year, I can’t put it down until I defeat Bowser yet again. If I were to score this game, I couldn’t give it any less than a perfect 10.

Yes, yes he does.
Published by
Pink Pearl Voice
Colorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant futureColorful CrAzYoNzZ has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Colorful CrAzYoNzZ
Sponsored Links
By Nintenduendo on 09-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Good review. There wasn't a whole lot you said about the game, but sometimes the simplest thing said is the most important.
By Rin on 09-09-2011, 12:37 AM
The structuring is crazy, but the content works perfectly.
By SuperGamecube64 on 09-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Not much to it, and I don't agree with ever giving any game a 10/10 ever for any reason. Still good, though.
By NommyNommy on 09-09-2011, 02:33 PM
lol another paper mario review
By CosmicMega on 09-10-2011, 12:37 AM
Nice job, the simplistic writing is done well and charming. Although it seems to be lacking any structure, like, at all. Not too big a problem, but still just slightly confusing.

I also don't think this game deserves a perfect 10, but that's a matter of opinion and not a matter of actual review quality.
By Colorful CrAzYoNzZ on 09-11-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm just trying to get back into review writing, sorry if it's a little off. :/

I can't help it. I love Paper Mario, and my personal opinion won't let me say anything about it other than perfect. xD
By Nintenduendo on 09-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorful CrAzYoNzZ View Post
I'm just trying to get back into review writing, sorry if it's a little off. :/

I can't help it. I love Paper Mario, and my personal opinion won't let me say anything about it other than perfect. xD
Nobody will fault your opinion. An opinion is an opinion, and there's hardly much we can do to change that.
By Nintendo Mario bro on 09-13-2011, 07:11 PM
I always loved this game but I sucked so bad at it. It even took me forever to beat it.
By Colorful CrAzYoNzZ on 09-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Hehe, I don't know how good I am at it, but I play it at least every year and eventually beat it. :3

It's one of my most favorites of all time. <3
Comment

Tags
game, mario, nintendo 64