Member Articles Members Articles

Closed Article

Article Tools
Top 10 Games That Define Their Console
Published by SuperGamecube64
09-17-2011

Almost every sytem that comes out has a several blockbuster hits, and nine times out of time they have a "Killer App" that becomes the reason people purchase the console to begin with. This game usually defines the console for generations to come, and usually spawns sequels. Let's take a look at just a few.

10 - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Nintendo's Wii debuted without a Mario title and without the third Smash Bros. that fans were impatiently waiting on. Many Smash fans found themselves visiting the Smash Bros. Dojo constantly, trying to keep up with every new sliver of information that came out. Jaws were opened as Solid Snake was unveiled, and WTFs were dropped upon Sonic the Hedgehog's announcement. The first in the series to include online play, Super Smash Bros. Brawl seemed like it was going to define the Wii's hardcore audience. in a way, it has done that, but the online feature was not as fleshed out as it needed to be and is sometimes very sloppy. This aside, it is still the #1 reason to own a Nintendo Wii.

9 - The Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker

The Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker was a game that really took the Nintendo community, and the gaming community as a whole, for a ride. At the Space World 2000 event, Nintendo unveiled a tech demo of a photo-realistic link, similar to the model seen in Soul Calibur 2 in a sword fight with Ganon. Everyone just knew it was going to be the next Zelda game until Nintendo unveiled the first glance at Wind Waker. Eyebrows twitched and palms hit faces as fans gazed upon the cartoony, cell-shaded Link. Once the game came out and fans got to play it, their hearts were forever turned around. This game is Zelda to the core. Much like the little purple lunchbox it is played on, Wind Waker is proof that looks can be deceiving.

8 - Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy had long been a juggernaut franchise on Nintendo consoles before FF7. Squaresoft made the jump to the Playstation console partway through developing this game for the Nintendo 64. Though the graphics would take a blow, they could fir far more audio into the game. Furthermore, the game would have been on several very expensive cartridges as opposed to the three, cheap to produce CD roms on he Playstation. What came of this project was an RPG that defined the Playstation console. An epic story with compelling characters and a tight and customizable battle system, Final Fantasy VII was the most realized entry in the series at the time of its release. It is still highly regarded today, and its fans beg for a remake (although some still say it is overrated).

7 - Halo: Combat Evolved

The Xbox and the Playstation 2 were remarkably similar in terms of game library. One of the few games that really set Xbox apart was Halo:Combat Evolved. Halo was the most successful shooter since Goldeneye 007 on the Nintendo 64, and in fact attracted a lot of the same crowd. Though the Xbox's LAN port, players could play with 16 players at the same time. LAN parties for Halo ran rampant across college campuses and man caves everywhere as Halo slowly took over the FPS genre. Its sequel, Halo 2, would implement online play, forever cementing the Halo series as a multiplayer juggernaut. Oh, and Master Chief is a pretty cool dude.

6 - Super Metroid

It was very hard to pick a game that defined the SNES, but ultimately I went with Super Metroid. Super Metroid was one of the first fully realized free roam games. as long as you had the proper equipment - or in some cases, even if you didn't - you could go wherever you wanted. This of course gave way to speed runs, and "sequence breaking", now a staple in the gaming community. I think almost every game owes it to Super Metroid for showing them how to create atmosphere.

5 - Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

metal gear Solid has long been a Sony juggernaut, but Metal Gear Solid 4 shows off what the Playstation 3 is capable of and then some. This is one of the most cinematic games I've ever played that still maintains it status as an actual game. Other games, like Heavy Rain failed to maintain their video game status to me, and felt more like an interactive movie. This game is so great that not only is it why I bought a PS3, I have since sold my PS3 and still own this game just to have it on my shelf.

4 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Originally, I was going to use Super Mario 64 as the game that defined the Nintendo 64, but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't deny Ocarina of Time its spot. Still heralded to this day as one of the greatest games of all time, Ocarina of Time took one of Nintendo's most popular franchises and made it 3D...the result was amazing. Ocarina of Time is one of the more mature games on the system and in the Zelda series and also one of the most epic. Mention Nintendo 64, or Zelda, and this is the game that comes to mind.

3 - Pacman

Few gameshave eaten (pun unintended) as many quarters and tokens as Pacman. Still found in arcades almost everywhere, this simple, fun and addicting game is even still played competitively! If you go to an arcade, and cannot find a Pacman machine then you are probably not actually in an arcade. Pacman was inspired by a pizza pie missing a slice, so it's ironic that I used to always play this game at the local Pizza Hut. Pacman is without a doubt THE arcade game.

2 - Pokemon Red/Blue

Pokemon is synonymous with the word phenomenon. This was literally the only game I ever played for any amount of time over 15 minutes on my Gameboy. Children and even adults everywhere just had to have all 151, and rather you just wanted to collect them, raise them for multiplayer battles, or even just delete your file and collect all the badges repeatedly, it was always fun - and still is today.

1 - Super Mario Brothers

do-do-do do-do do DO! You're already hearing that familiar tune in your head as you read this, and probably running World 1-1 in your mind. Mention the Nintendo entertainment System and everyone is going to start talking about Super Mario Brothers. Stomping on sentient mushrooms, shooting fireballs at turtles and traveling through pipes just never gets old. No illegal substances were used during the making of this game...that we know of. and now that you've mentally reached the end of world 1-4, I'm sorry but our princess is in another castle.

Honorable Mention
Super Mario 64 (N64)

Super Mario world (SNES)

Phoenix Wright (DS)

Street Fighter II(arcade)

Wii Sports (Wii)

Metal Gear Solid (PS1)

Spyro the Dragon (PS1)
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64

Article Tools
Sponsored Links
By Rin on 09-17-2011, 02:38 PM
When I think SNES, I think Chrono Trigger, but that isn't insanely recognized like Metroid or Mario would've been. It's easy to see why you when with what you did.

Nice list overall though. I personally would've put Halo higher up, because not only did it define the Xbox, but it layed out the blueprint for dual-stick FPS games on consoles as a whole. It really brought the genre to life on a console. The first of its kind. Not to mention it was an epic game.
By Megas75 on 09-17-2011, 04:31 PM
I'd swap Brawl with one of the Super Mario Galaxies, but overall solid list
By Nintenduendo on 09-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Only the Wii and the SNES were kinda shocking to me.

But once I saw what the #1 spot was, I got cooled over. Solid list, SuperBro64.
By Alice on 09-17-2011, 08:35 PM
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

You, sir, are a master at quality identification.
By Tanis on 09-17-2011, 11:10 PM
Super Metroid was a candidate in the back of my mind, though I had a hunch that it would make it somehow. :P

Good stuff bro.
By xXDaKidXx on 09-18-2011, 01:38 AM
Good list, as my pick for SNES, it would of been Kirby Super Star. Oh well

Nice list.
Closed Article