Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
xXDaKidXx
Nintendo News Man!
Points: 3,453, Level: 36 Points: 3,453, Level: 36 Points: 3,453, Level: 36
User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Super Leaf

My Mood: Gaming
xXDaKidXx has a spectacular aura aboutxXDaKidXx has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Send a message via AIM to xXDaKidXx
iPhone 5 will Kill the 3DS

Quote:
Last month, things looked a little better for the 3DS, thanks to the device’s $80 price cut to $169.99. According to Nintendo, it sold 235,000 3DS units during the period.

But as my fellow game-industry followers know all too well, 235,000 units sold in a single month just isn’t going to cut it for a portable device. If we look back in history, Nintendo’s other platforms, like the Game Boy and DS, were flying off store shelves for years. The 3DS, however, has not.

Unlike its predecessors, the 3DS is facing a slew of issues. For one, the 3D effect falls short for many folks, and after a while, it becomes more like a gimmick than an integral part of the gaming experience. What’s more, the 3DS’ lack of compelling games (which Nintendo says, will be addressed by the end of this year, thanks to Super Mario 3D Land), is holding it back.

But I think it goes beyond that. The 3DS is failing right now, more than any other reason, because of smartphones and tablets offering compelling gaming experiences. And when the iPhone 5 launches in the next several weeks, you can expect it to officially kill off the 3DS.

Now, I say “kill off” to drive the point home, but I don’t believe that Nintendo will actually discontinue the portable for at least another year. For some odd reason, Nintendo believes that it can turn things around with the 3DS. And it strangely feels that consumers who have yet to show that they care about the device will suddenly have a change of heart.

Here’s a news flash for you, Nintendo: consumers do not and will not care about the 3DS. And the iPhone 5, which will likely come with improved components to help deliver even better gameplay to owners, will make that abundantly clear.

But it’s not just Apple. Game developers are also flocking to portable devices, and will have a close eye on the iPhone 5 when that device launches. Companies like Electronic Arts and other prominent developers are increasingly turning to mobile operating systems, like iOS and Android, to offer their titles. And as hard as it might try, Nintendo won’t be able to stop that.

So, when the iPhone 5 launches, I see even more troubled waters ahead for Nintendo. The device will receive an inordinate amount of attention, consumers around the globe will flock to stores to buy it, and in the process, they’ll download games. And when they start playing those games in-between surfing the Web and checking e-mail, they’ll quickly find that buying that 3DS just doesn’t make all that much sense.

Sorry, Nintendo, but if smartphones and tablets already on store shelves are killing the 3DS, the iPhone 5 might just be enough to put the final nail in the device’s coffin.

SOURCE: http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-5-wi...-3ds-17180647/
For the most part, this guy is obviouly uneducated when it comes to the gaming world.
Discuss.

Cool Sig huh^^?

DaKidWiiTrailers - My Awesome Youtube
^Click that for Updates, Trailers, and more!
3DS FC:
5455 - 9667 - 3429
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 6

Yes! The clouds will part, the angels will sing, and the iPhone 5 will save humanity and put them on the path to righteousness!

Do we seriously know anything substantial about the iPhone 5? I mean, I know that prototype got lost, but we haven't heard anything about this supposed prototype.

Someone just wanted to lay the conjecture on thick.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
xXDaKidXx
Nintendo News Man!
Points: 3,453, Level: 36 Points: 3,453, Level: 36 Points: 3,453, Level: 36
User owns 2x SNES Controller User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Nunchuck User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance User owns 1x Super Leaf

xXDaKidXx has a spectacular aura aboutxXDaKidXx has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase
Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Send a message via AIM to xXDaKidXx
This fool is terrible misinformed.

Mobile games are fun, but they only appeal to below "Casual" player, not even sure if they can be called gamers. But anyways, it only appeals to people who aren't really gamers, mobile gaming could never satisfy a real gamer. They have no deep aspect to the game to really make you take it seriously, No deep story, no deep characters, no deep gameplay. It just has nothing that a Core and Hardcore gamer would actually love in the game like they would a console or handheld console.

You can almost call mobile games "Mini Games", there are so many that don't hold your attention, or are just pure shovleware. Or some knockoff of a popular 80s or 90s game. iPhone is becoming more and more a gimmick, you can barely even keep up with one since they seem to come out yearly. I mean REALLY, what does it even add? Do most people even know? My guess is "No". They just buy it to claim they have the latest and the greatest.

Its pure crazy talk to even think the iPhone can stand up to a fully realized handheld console, with valued games. Sure the 3DS had a bad start, but it by no means, mean its a bad console. It just came out with some bad games at launch. Whoopty-doo! And I'm getting awfully tired of people milking that. MOVE ON! God!

Point is, Mobile games will never be able to be consider "Original" as a console game can. Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony have established too much to even touch. That means, beloved characters, hardware and more. It can't dominate over a console because it doesn't appeal to real gamers. And if thats what Apple is trying to do. They're in for some tears,

Cool Sig huh^^?

DaKidWiiTrailers - My Awesome Youtube
^Click that for Updates, Trailers, and more!
3DS FC:
5455 - 9667 - 3429
Old 09-21-2011, 03:27 AM   #4
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82 Points: 16,499, Level: 82
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXDaKidXx View Post
Mobile games are fun, but they only appeal to below "Casual" player, not even sure if they can be called gamers. But anyways, it only appeals to people who aren't really gamers, mobile gaming could never satisfy a real gamer. They have no deep aspect to the game to really make you take it seriously, No deep story, no deep characters, no deep gameplay. It just has nothing that a Core and Hardcore gamer would actually love in the game like they would a console or handheld console.

Hardcore gamers, casual gamers, PC gamers, console gamers, PS3 gamers, 360 gamers, Sega gamers, Nintendo gamers.....

....do you see the least common denominator here?

We are all gamers in some way, shape or form. I embrace it all, because I know that, regardless how much of a gamer we are, we can still relate because it's the games that bring us together.

It's personal opinion, really. I'm an Angry Birds addict, and even it's simple 5-to-7-second wordless cutscenes tell a story.

I've noticed RPGs have found a home on the mobile platform, such as the Zenonia series.

There may be something for the hardcore gamer on the mobile platform. It's in its inception, but Nintendo and Sony have both taken note of how strong it's been getting. The mobile platform have devices that get more powerful, possibly getting to a point where the quality of game would rival games on handheld game devices.

It's an if, but it's a very possible if.

Quote:
You can almost call mobile games "Mini Games", there are so many that don't hold your attention, or are just pure shovleware. Or some knockoff of a popular 80s or 90s game. iPhone is becoming more and more a gimmick, you can barely even keep up with one since they seem to come out yearly. I mean REALLY, what does it even add? Do most people even know? My guess is "No". They just buy it to claim they have the latest and the greatest.
I found this chart comparing the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4. Make of it what you will.

As for gaming, notice the fact that the iPhone 4 has a gyroscope, which is what the 3DS has.

And really, the argument of 'what does [whatever device we're critiquing] add and why do we need it' can be used against the 3DS.

So what does the 3DS do that the DS doesn't? Do most people know? My guess is "No." They just buy it to claim they have Nintendo's latest and greatest.

Quote:
Its pure crazy talk to even think the iPhone can stand up to a fully realized handheld console, with valued games. Sure the 3DS had a bad start, but it by no means, mean its a bad console. It just came out with some bad games at launch. Whoopty-doo! And I'm getting awfully tired of people milking that. MOVE ON! God!
Don't discount Apple. They could just as easily create a handheld or home console and be a major competitor.

I think that they don't because they want to prove that their iPod and iPhone devices are capable of being the essential entertainment and multimedia device, from music, to e-books, and yes, even to gaming.

And yes, it may take some time to prove that, and that's why everyone is so eager to get their next iPhone. And really, are they any different than us Nintendo fans, eagerly awaiting what Nintendo does next, seeing what they can do to innovate and captivate?

In reality, the two companies aren't at all that different in that sense; maybe that's why the idea of Apple and Nintendo working together isn't so farfetched. I digress...

It's a problem for the 3DS because the first-party support has been incredibly lacking. Yes, the launch was horrendous, but Nintendo didn't help that by releasing new games for the system. Their response to the lack of games was to lower the cost of the system and give the early adopters games from their backlog that they could've emulated from a ROM on their computer or downloaded from the Wii's Virtual Console.

It's not that the 3DS is a bad console, it's just that the game library for it has been bad so far.

Quote:
Point is, Mobile games will never be able to be consider "Original" as a console game can. Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony have established too much to even touch. That means, beloved characters, hardware and more. It can't dominate over a console because it doesn't appeal to real gamers. And if thats what Apple is trying to do, then they're in for some tears.
There are original games on the mobile platform. DoodleJump, Angry Birds, and Zenonia come to mind as original series.

But the fact that Nintendo is facing a bit of a crisis with the 3DS and their falling shares shows that the big game companies are vulnerable, although these happenings weren't caused by Apple.

Don't discount Apple, because they could very well turn the gaming industry on its head with it's own plans.

Last edited by Nintenduendo; 09-21-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
Zero
Smashing Brothers
Points: 3,991, Level: 40 Points: 3,991, Level: 40 Points: 3,991, Level: 40
User owns 1x Poke Ball User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo DS
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote

My Mood: Amused
Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Poster Super Member Royalty 
Total Awards: 4

Hardcore gamers don't give a rat's ass about i_____ gaming.

...But do hardcore gamers still make up the majority? Hard to say.

Zero could care less about gaming on anything other than a dedicated videogame device.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #6
Mario
Just Chillaxin
Points: 52,197, Level: 100 Points: 52,197, Level: 100 Points: 52,197, Level: 100
User owns 1x Blue Shell User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote User owns 1x Master Sword User owns 1x Nintendo Wii User owns 1x Links Shield User owns 1x Gold Coin
User owns 1x Invincibility Star User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Red Pikmin

Mario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond reputeMario has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF's 4th Annual Award Monster Poster NFF Old Man Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Royalty Level 100 Award Mufasa NFF 1st Annual Award 
Total Awards: 9

3DS Friend Code: 4450-2343-3333 WiiU ID: test123
iPhone 5 overtake the Nintendo 3DS.

Started from the bottom, now we're here.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 37,717, Level: 100 Points: 37,717, Level: 100 Points: 37,717, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

Apple products are pretty popular here. I have more fun playing Worms on my friends iPad than I have with anything on my 3DS. But to say this guy is uneducated and call him a fool is a bit stupid since he's only giving his opinion. He's right about the 3D being a gimmick. It's an annoying one at that. I don't even bother turning it on anymore.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Old 09-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
Zero
Smashing Brothers
Points: 3,991, Level: 40 Points: 3,991, Level: 40 Points: 3,991, Level: 40
User owns 1x Poke Ball User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo DS
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote

My Mood: Amused
Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Poster Super Member Royalty 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Konata View Post
He's right about the 3D being a gimmick. It's an annoying one at that. I don't even bother turning it on anymore.
Agreed/ditto.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
SirManguydude
LoZ Expert
Points: 11,149, Level: 69 Points: 11,149, Level: 69 Points: 11,149, Level: 69
User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Earth Element User owns 1x Mirror Shield User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Fire Element User owns 1x Master Sword
User owns 1x Heart Tank User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Black Belt

My Mood: Lonely
SirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Royalty Super Member Good Grammar Award Yoshi Signature of the Month Banner of the Month 
Total Awards: 12

Lets see, choices choices. Pay $170 for a 3DS or pay $500-600 for an Iphone plus the monthly $100+ bill. Mobile gaming is a casual thing, you rarely see a hardcore game, and if you do it is either a clone, or a port. If you truly think the Iphone will drive the 3DS to the grave then you are absolutely crazy. They are different things. One is a phone, the other is a handheld gaming system. It may get higher sales figures for the games on it, but that is because most the games are 99 cents. And most of them are just time killers.

A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
Tanis
Ordinary
Points: 6,005, Level: 50 Points: 6,005, Level: 50 Points: 6,005, Level: 50
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Bomb User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Tired
Tanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Brawl AM First Time Award Signature of the Month Royalty Welcome Wagon Poster Review of the Month 

3DS Friend Code: 034493603259 PSN ID: Tanis-sama WiiU ID: Peridot-sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glastonbury View Post
Don't discount Apple. They could just as easily create a handheld or home console and be a major competitor.
I agree.

Closed Thread