Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Other Reviews

Notices

Other Reviews Playstation, Xbox, PC, or any other console game Review. Also console reviews too

Comment

Review Tools
Angry Birds
Angry Birds
You'll like them when they're angry.
Published by SuperGamecube64
12-15-2011
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Angry Birds

Isn't it amazing how sometimes the simplest things are the best? Angry Birds is a game that is so simple, I could have made it myself within the first 3 weeks of my Game Design class. It doesn't try to be something it's not, and that's what makes it so good, I think.

Angry Birds was first released in December of 2009 for Apple iOS. Thr game is now available on Android PHones, ipods, iPhones, iPads, Google Chrome web browser, Windows phones and Windows operating systems. This particular review is of the PC version of the game, but they are all essentially the same. The story of Angry Birds is simple - the pigs have stolen all the birds' eggs to make food. The birds then try to destroy the pigs and take back their eggs. How do they go about doing this? By launching themselves from a slingshot and using their own rotund bodies as demolition material of course!

The controls are simple - grab the slingshot, drag it into the position you desire, and release. The trajectory and speed is determined by how your shot was angled, as well as the bird's weight. There are multiple types of birds at your disposal. Red birds are your standard ammo - they don't do anything special, they just crash into things and break them. Blue birds will divide into 3 smaller avian bullets when you click the mouse at any time after firing them. These smaller birds have less of an impact, but cover more ground. Ywllow birds are oddly shaped like triangles. When you click after firing them, they shoot off like rockets, crashing through easily destructible obstacles. Black birds are heavy, and explode like bombs after a few seconds. They can also be prematurely detonated by clicking after firing. White birds drop egg bombs on targets bellow when you click, and are propelled upwards after dropping the bomb. Green birds look like toucans, and function like boomerangs, changing direction mid flight. Finally, there is the big brother bird, or giant red bird. It has the weight and destructive power of the black bird, minus the explosive capabilities.

There are also a number of different types of pigs. The bigger the pig, the harder is is to destroy. Some pigs are even further protected due to helmets. There are also three types of material - wood, glass, and stone. Each have varying strength, and will require different strategies and birds to break through. Each level give you a preset number of various birds - it is up to you to learn how to best utilize the assets given to you to get the highest score possible and destroy all the pigs.

As you can see, Angry Birds is incredibly simple, but if that is what is deterring you from given this game a shot then I will simply say that Super Mario Bros. is also incredibly simple. Angry birds has evolved into what can only be described as a pop culture phenomenon. While it doesn't come close to rivaling the likes of Pokemon, or Star Wars, there is a ton of Angry Birds Merchandise out there. From plush birds and pigs to clothing and even a board game, there seems to be something for everyone. Angry Birds is popular for a reason. It is simple, accessible, widely available, and fun! So, if you haven't played this game yet for some strange reason, take off your hipster glasses and give a try - I can almost guarantee you will be hooked.
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64
Sponsored Links
By =^.^= on 12-16-2011, 10:58 PM
it's good to see no-name developers make it big like this

but although they make different editions, updates and merchandise, i'm not sure how rovio studios will keep generating money once Angry Birds becomes old news.
By NommyNommy on 12-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^.^= View Post
it's good to see no-name developers make it big like this
ya because indie games are never popular
By =^.^= on 12-17-2011, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NommyNommy View Post
ya because indie games are never popular
do you even know what an indie game is? i can assure you that 99% of indie games aren't popular.
it and super meat boy are the only games that i can think of that have accomplished this much, with angry birds still waaaay ahead.

for this, i think it deserves to be commended.
By NommyNommy on 12-17-2011, 03:17 AM
Quote:
do you even know what an indie game is? i can assure you that 99% of indie games aren't popular.
it and super meat boy are the only games that i can think of that have accomplished this much, with angry birds still waaaay ahead.

for this, i think it deserves to be commended.
Minecraft
Terraria
World of Goo
Binding of Issac
Braid
All 6 Bit.Trips
Cave Story
Amnesia
Machinarium
Bastion
Limbo
Beat Hazard Ultra
Castle Crashers
Monday Night Combat + Super MNC

oh, Audiosurf and Osu!, but they are free.

So there's 20 games right off the bat, and there are a lot more lesser known, but successful ones too.
Last edited by NommyNommy; 12-17-2011 at 03:25 AM..
By =^.^= on 12-17-2011, 04:07 AM
minecraft is the only one on that list that anywhere near close to achieving what angry birds has done. angry birds are universally recognised. kids and adults alike know what they are. hardcore gamers, casual gamers, and just phone-users can relate to the games. they are a pop-culture phenomenon. like sgc64 has said, they have games, plushies, a clothing line and a board-game. all of which are successful products. plenty of games have had this kind of success, but not games created by no-name developers.
By AlloftheAbove on 12-17-2011, 04:15 AM
Not sure why there's even an argument here. KittyFace is right.
Rovio Studios have managed to combine just the right amount of simple game mechanics, challenge, and aspiration (for lack of a better word) into a game. For instance, Doodle Jump has the simple game mechanics, but not enough of a challenge or a willingness to complete (considering it doesn't end).

Unless you're some super hipster or something, there's not a lot of reason why anyone would be against Angry Birds.
By Holysnap on 12-17-2011, 04:39 AM
i feel like you spent too much of the review explaining what the game is. Only the first and last paragraph actually show me what you have to say about the game while the whole middle section is a game description, not a review.
By SuperGamecube64 on 12-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holysnap View Post
i feel like you spent too much of the review explaining what the game is. Only the first and last paragraph actually show me what you have to say about the game while the whole middle section is a game description, not a review.
Honestly, I felt the same way after it was completed. I've been so busy recently that I haven't had time to write reviews, so I guess I'm rusty. I'll probably do an edit.
By NommyNommy on 12-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Quote:
minecraft is the only one on that list that anywhere near close to achieving what angry birds has done.
You mean how they both copied an already made game?
/not sarcasm

I wasn't arguing with you about anything, I was just saying it's not that rare for an indie game to do well, as long as it isn't complete shit.
Games don't need to be known by everyone on the planet and have plush dolls to be popular.

Oh, and to answer your question about what they will do next, they will make some new game and just say "by the makers of angry birds" or something. Then in a few years angry birds 2 will come.

inb4 people think I hate angry birds
Last edited by NommyNommy; 12-17-2011 at 05:59 PM..
Comment