Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment

Notices

Media Entertainment Discuss Movies, Music, TV, Books, Comics and anything related to Media Entertainment.

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
Holysnap
you're the worst
Points: 2,577, Level: 30 Points: 2,577, Level: 30 Points: 2,577, Level: 30
User owns 1x Magic Cape Feather

Holysnap is a name known to allHolysnap is a name known to allHolysnap is a name known to allHolysnap is a name known to allHolysnap is a name known to allHolysnap is a name known to all

Awards Showcase
Royalty 
Total Awards: 1

Send a message via MSN to Holysnap
Studio Ghibli

Studio Ghibli is a japanese animation studio responsible for films such as Spirited Away, Ponyo and Howl's Moving Castle. The studio was founded by Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata.

Anyone who is familiar with or a fan of will probably know the name Miyazaki - one of the most well respected and greatly talented animators of our time. Takahata while not as popular is by no means inferior known for his neo-realism and naturalism which is not common in animation, particularly to western audiences. Some people think of this studio and miyazaki as being the "japanese disney" but this couldnt be further from the truth.

as you've probably noticed I have a huge boner for this studio. It's films are so mesmerising and IMHO surprass any disney film ever made, in the sheer detail and layers to the stories and the characters. This topic is basically to discuss these films for anyone who has seen any of them.
My all time favourite has to be My Neighbour Totoro, for me it is the perfect example of a Miyazaki work, and makes me feel like a young kid again.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Megas75
A Festive Philistine
Points: 24,485, Level: 95 Points: 24,485, Level: 95 Points: 24,485, Level: 95
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

WiiU ID: Megas75
I've only seen about 3 of their movies(Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Howl's Moving Castle) but I remember loving them
Old 12-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
NommyNommy
Banned

NommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to behold

good shit

specially totoro, nausicaa, and porco rosso
Old 12-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
Holysnap
you're the worst

Holysnap is a name known to allHolysnap is a name known to allHolysnap is a name known to allHolysnap is a name known to allHolysnap is a name known to allHolysnap is a name known to all

Awards Showcase
Royalty 

Nice choices guys. I do love nausicaa but I feel mononoke was basically its successor and drove home the same message in a more effective way. Both great films though.

One I would recommend that is not quite as well known is whisper of the heart. It is not directed by Miyazaki but it is written by him i'm pretty sure. Basically a romance/coming of age movie but done really well. I'm not usually a fan of romance in anime but its all done so well. While it doesn't have any magical or mystical story elements it definitely has that miyazaki touch in the script and the director did an amazing job with it.

Also another thing to touch on is that on the whole the dubs of those movies are really high quality. Only ones I would avoid are for kiki's delivery service and castle in the sky, both of these dubs mess too much with the script, adding in and taking out elements of the story that just shouldn't of been messed with. But on the whole the dubs are great.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
NommyNommy
Banned

NommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to behold

tbh mononoki is the worst of all theirs ive seen :/

I didn't like how it was just you getting "protect the environment" shoved down your throat the whole movie.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:14 AM   #6
Holysnap
you're the worst

Awards Showcase
Royalty 

interesting, I always felt the opposite. nausicaa felt more preachy where as mononoke while having that strong environmental message, gave a fair look at the other side of the story too with the town that made guns (i forget the actual name)
Old 12-20-2011, 01:57 AM   #7
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100 Points: 59,012, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
Princess Mononoke was my shit back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Closed Thread