Lucario  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Technical Support > Nintendo

Notices

Nintendo Post any Nintendo related support questions here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
nectarguru
Goomba
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1

nectarguru is an unknown quantity at this point

Bricked Wii after a possible gradual failure, 100% unmodded

Hey everybody, new member here, brought about under unfortunate circumstances. I've tried to find information about bricked Wiis, but I can't seem to find anything related to unmodded consoles. My Wii bricked a couple of weeks ago. I bought it from a friend a few months back. It refused to boot on the first day (full brick), but I left it on, and after several hours it booted successfully. It has worked fine since then, short of a few brick boot ups here and there. After awhile, we decided to just leave it on 24/7 to prevent further problems. It did occur a few times since, but it always recovered. Every once in awhile, though, some of my channels would give me a corrupt error, but it seemed to fix itself. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, my buddy decided to turn it off overnight, and it hasn't worked since. Odd thing, though, is that I took it somewhere for a day (worked just fine), and when I came back home I left it sitting in my bag for about two days. After hooking it back up, it worked for about two more days until it bricked. It's displaying the common full brick problems - power button works on the console and Wiimote, boots to black screen, Wiimote doesn't sync nor can I power off with it, games can be inserted/ejected. The console is 100% bone stock/unmodded, and no attempt has ever been made to do so. What could have caused this? What sort of hardware failure could have happened? Everything online is telling me that without any sort of backup installed, I'm completely out of luck, but am I really? Could SaviMii potentially help? I plan on trying to take apart my GC controller if I can ever get past the damn wing screw. I would rather not install a mod chip, and having Nintendo repair it is out of the question. Any info you could give me would help me millions. Had to happen after investing so much time into Skyward Sword...........
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Tanis
Ordinary
Points: 5,885, Level: 49 Points: 5,885, Level: 49 Points: 5,885, Level: 49
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Bomb User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Tired
Tanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Brawl AM First Time Award Signature of the Month Royalty Welcome Wagon Poster Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 6

3DS Friend Code: 034493603259 PSN ID: Tanis-sama WiiU ID: Peridot-sama
Hmm...did your friend experience the same problems or did they buy it secondhand? The only thing I could see wrong with it is corrupt save data or that something has gone wrong internally with the system over time. If it's unmodded, you could try backing up your data from an SD card if you can and send your system to Nintendo, otherwise it's just a hunk of plastic now. :/
Old 12-26-2011, 04:09 AM   #3
nectarguru
Goomba
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1

nectarguru is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhhhhhh well.........

I believe she purchased the Wii brand new in 2007 but hadn't used it for about a year before me buying it. It was safely stored in a Rubbermaid container, but it's my understanding that letting a Wii sit for extended periods of time is very bad for them. I thought that maybe I sparked some new life into it after awhile. I'm interesting in trying to recover my data, but considering that I only boot to a black screen (not even to the Health screen), I'm not too hopeful. Do you know of any way I could go about trying? I'm considering just cutting my losses and buying a refurb from Gamestop, because they're currently $80 with a free 2-year replacement warranty. Much cheaper than a Nintendo repair........

Is there a way to possibly boot up the Wii as an external device to pull data from it?

Last edited by nectarguru; 12-26-2011 at 04:17 AM.
Closed Thread