Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Post away about anything in general just remember no content that would fit in other sections.

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
AlloftheAbove
Numbah Wan
Points: 21,912, Level: 92 Points: 21,912, Level: 92 Points: 21,912, Level: 92
User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Grey Chaos Emerald

My Mood: Gaming
AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award NFF Referrer Review of the Month Review of the Month Review of the Month News Reporter 
Total Awards: 36

3DS Friend Code: 4382-1995-8800 Xbox Live Gamertag: RaptorWaffles WiiU ID: AlloftheAbove
"Complete" Editions

Like I said in the Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition thread, I find the idea of reselling the game as a "true" edition is just the game industry being greedy and tying a noose around its own neck while trying to blame everybody else for its problems.

Quote:
The message from developers is always clear. "This is the final, true edition of this game. If you bought an earlier edition for the same price or more, you must be an idiot."

But yet developers complain time and time again about how used games are too popular, and nobody buys their games new anymore, or for full price. I wonder why that is...
Old 01-23-2012, 02:50 AM   #2
NommyNommy
Banned

NommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to behold

its a smart business decision

if people stop buying them, developers wont make them.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
=^.^=
Banned

My Mood: Angelic
=^.^= is a jewel in the rough=^.^= is a jewel in the rough=^.^= is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NommyNommy View Post
its a smart business decision

if people stop buying them, developers wont make them.
exactly.
not enough people buy games new any more, so they have to practically release the game again, so people buy it.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
AlloftheAbove
Numbah Wan
Points: 21,912, Level: 92 Points: 21,912, Level: 92 Points: 21,912, Level: 92
User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Grey Chaos Emerald

My Mood: Gaming
AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award NFF Referrer Review of the Month Review of the Month Review of the Month News Reporter 
Total Awards: 36

3DS Friend Code: 4382-1995-8800 Xbox Live Gamertag: RaptorWaffles WiiU ID: AlloftheAbove
It's easy for the industry to blame retailers like GameStop for pushing used sales so hard. It's easy to blame gamers for not supporting the games industry. But what's easier (and more importantly, correct) is to blame those who maneuvered gamers into those non-supportive roles: the publishers. They're the ones that created an atmosphere where gamers feel stupid for buying brand new games. They're the ones who trained us to wait for price cuts or used copies, that we know are coming so soon. They're the ones who are burying gamers under an avalanche of DLC and "complete editions". They're the ones who enforced it so that stores get most of their profit for used games anyway; something that nobody ever talks about.

The biggest threat to the games industry today is not the retailers, and not gamers. It's the ones who are running themselves into the ground with the weight of their own crap: the game industry itself. So =^.^=, don't go around feeling sorry for developers because people are waiting around for a lowering in price, or waiting for a "complete edition." You're just doing what the games industry has pushed you into doing.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
=^.^=
Banned

My Mood: Angelic
=^.^= is a jewel in the rough=^.^= is a jewel in the rough=^.^= is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloftheAbove View Post
It's easy for the industry to blame retailers like GameStop for pushing used sales so hard. It's easy to blame gamers for not supporting the games industry. But what's easier (and more importantly, correct) is to blame those who maneuvered gamers into those non-supportive roles: the publishers. They're the ones that created an atmosphere where gamers feel stupid for buying brand new games. They're the ones who trained us to wait for price cuts or used copies, that we know are coming so soon. They're the ones who are burying gamers under an avalanche of DLC and "complete editions". They're the ones who enforced it so that stores get most of their profit for used games anyway; something that nobody ever talks about.

The biggest threat to the games industry today is not the retailers, and not gamers. It's the ones who are running themselves into the ground with the weight of their own crap: the game industry itself. So =^.^=, don't go around feeling sorry for developers because people are waiting around for a lowering in price, or waiting for a "complete edition." You're just doing what the games industry has pushed you into doing.
i actually agree with what you're saying there. the people behind rage had the right idea, in that they rewarded people for buying games new. games that come out a year later with a "complete" version just makes gamers not want to buy games new any more. what seems like a quick way of making more money (like nommynommy thinks, and what i used to think) is just the games industry running themselves into the ground...
Old 01-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
Gareth

I completely agree, i cant stand it when they completely alienate the true fans for buying the game brand new. CAPCOM is the worst for this, SFIV was fine and then they brought out SSFIV which was un-compatible with SSFIV so you HAD to buy the new edition if you wanted to keep playing, they tried to make amends by making SSFIV:AE compatible with any DLC owners but you still felt left out. They pulled the same stunt with Marvel vs Capcom 3. "Ultimate" No reason it couldn't have been DLC they pulled some emotional crap about japan but surely they still would have made money/profit with DLC.

Alot of the time i avoid dlc heavy games such as RPG's just to wait for the GOTY edition. I loved fallout 3 on release and paid 1200ms points (12) per DLC id like to point out F3 has 5. Later on they released GOTY edition for 25. How scammed do i feel?
I avoided Fallout: NV simply waiting for the GOTY edition, i almost avoided Skyrim for similar reasons.

TL : DR - I agree, final editions suck, game developers need to stop alienating their true fans.
Later on in the year

Old 01-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
Azure Dragonius
The No More Hero
Points: 824, Level: 15 Points: 824, Level: 15 Points: 824, Level: 15
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Cheerful
Azure Dragonius is on a distinguished road

"Complete" editions are why I hate Capcom because they release SO DAMN MANY of them.
Regardless, "complete" editions themselves, I hate as well. Let me just say that I don't like DLC that much. It's all right, usually, it's a way of adding more gameplay to a game without having to release the entire thing again, in an upgraded format. Example being Mass Effect 2. It has a few pieces of DLC, most of it being appearance packs and armor sets, but it also has a few DLC mission packs. The biggest one is about $15. Not a bad price for a mission pack that gives you some backstory that you didn't know about your teammates, some new NPCs to talk to, some new ways to invest your credits, as well as a new hub ship that you can use at any time. Other DLCs are just a way to get money, though, and I hate those. So I'm kind of 50/50 on the DLC thing.
Stuff like Street Fighter IV, however, that's just annoying. Why release several thousand versions of the original game just to put in characters that should have been in the damn game in the first place? Hell, even Arc System Works (creators of BlazBlue) are doing it with BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, Continuum Shift II, and Continuum Shift EXTEND.

Maybe I'm just bitching too much.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #8
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 34,850, Level: 100 Points: 34,850, Level: 100 Points: 34,850, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award NFF's 4th Annual Award 
Total Awards: 12

I think they're cool. It's nice to own the original as well as a complete one, they look nice on your shelf together. Anyway, you don't have to buy them.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
Tanis
Ordinary
Points: 5,511, Level: 47 Points: 5,511, Level: 47 Points: 5,511, Level: 47
User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Princess Ruto User owns 1x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Bomb User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Nintendo Game Boy Advance
User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller

My Mood: Tired
Tanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond reputeTanis has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Brawl AM First Time Award Signature of the Month Royalty Welcome Wagon Poster Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 6

3DS Friend Code: 034493603259 PSN ID: Tanis-sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure Dragonius View Post
Hell, even Arc System Works (creators of BlazBlue) are doing it with BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, Continuum Shift II, and Continuum Shift EXTEND.

Maybe I'm just bitching too much.
Well to be fair, CS2 was a free update (unless you bought the DLC characters or the handheld version, now Extend fits in with the context of the thread >_>).

That said, it's nothing new really. Some developers have been doing this with their series for years. Care to guess how many versions of Street Fighter 2 have been released? Back then a new game was at least $70+ and you pretty much HAD to get the new version since DLC didn't exist, so if anything we're lucky in a sense. It's an established business practice. But hey, people keep buying them, so companies will keep doing it.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 57,461, Level: 100 Points: 57,461, Level: 100 Points: 57,461, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
Well, I'm torn. On the one hand, I got Borderlands GOTY edition for $40 with all DLC....on the other hand, I now feel like I wasted my money on Mortal Kombat + all the DLC

Check me out on Facebook!
Like action figures? Click here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
Closed Thread