Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
SirManguydude
LoZ Expert
Points: 11,073, Level: 69 Points: 11,073, Level: 69 Points: 11,073, Level: 69
User owns 1x Gold Coin User owns 1x Rupee Bag User owns 1x Earth Element User owns 1x Mirror Shield User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Fire Element User owns 1x Master Sword
User owns 1x Heart Tank User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Black Belt

My Mood: Lonely
SirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond reputeSirManguydude has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award NFF 3rd Annual Award Royalty Super Member Good Grammar Award Yoshi Signature of the Month Banner of the Month 
Total Awards: 12

Nintendo to rebrand Wii U?

Quote:
Step one: Come up with brilliant, powered-up, innovative new successor to your last-gen console. Step two: Make it look exactly the same, give it almost the same name, and present it to the world in a way which doesn't clearly point out that it's not actually the same thing.
Step three: ?????????
Step four: Monstrous lack of profit!

That was the Nintendo method for launching the 3DS, and until today it's been looking dangerously close to being the method it would use to sink the Wii U. Fortunately, that may no longer be the case, because if current reports are to be believed, Nintendo is looking into dropping the Wii name and completely rebranding the machine as something different for its E3 2012 re-reveal.
Is this likely? Yes it is. While Nintendo still makes great clunking errors, President Satoru Iwata is a lot quicker to learn from and fix them than his predecessor, Hiroshi "I'm so stubborn in the face of progress that it's going to nearly kill my company" Yamauchi. He's already admitted that the 3DS' borked launch - largely due to a dearth of games, unfinished online services and unclear marketing - was a bitter lesson, and a mistake that cannot be repeated. And we're already seeing a new, very deliberate "This is not DS, this is Nintendo 3DS" tagline rolled out by way of damage control.

Releasing a new console to an audience it has largely filled with the gaming-clueless over the last few years, without distancing said new console from the machine said audience already own and have long become bored of, would be the opposite of learning from that mistake. Ditto not making it clear to the core gamer that this new machine is a powerful core console. If indeed it is. But I suspect it will be.
So I reckon we're looking at a whole new Nintendo console reveal at E3 2012. Sort of. I reckon a new name, a new brand 'personality', and a primary focus not on the controller, but on the raw power and games. Yes, Nintendo will still show off the pioneering display-streaming controller in multiple fun and crazy permutations, but this will be a Nintendo console reveal as much in the '90s/'00s vein as that of the dread days of the Wii. Nintendo knows that the casual gaming honeymoon is over, and that it needs to provide as much for its core-gamer bread and butter as it does for the Wii Fit brigade.
The new name? At the very least, the word Nintendo needs to come back, used as the proud badge of gaming royalty it used to be before Ninty got embarrassed about being a games company and let the Wii name take centre stage. As for the format? The campaign for a third NES variant starts here.
Gamesradar

I totally agree, they should drop the Wii branding as many gamers think the Wii is synonymous with Casual gaming.

A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 22,366, Level: 93 Points: 22,366, Level: 93 Points: 22,366, Level: 93
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 
Total Awards: 7

I really hope so, not only will it help the console sell better without people thinking it's a Wii peripheral or add-on, the name "Wii-U" just plain sucks
Old 01-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Rin
Blade of Justice
Points: 39,494, Level: 100 Points: 39,494, Level: 100 Points: 39,494, Level: 100

Rin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Level 100 Award Member of the Month Monster Poster Yoshi Poster 

Send a message via Skype™ to Rin
Disassociating itself with the Wii name would be ideal if you ask me. You need to show it's a separate entity and a large step forward, not make it out to be a minimally upgraded Wii.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 36,972, Level: 100 Points: 36,972, Level: 100 Points: 36,972, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

I'm not sure if it matters. PlayStation have had no problems.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Old 01-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
=^.^=
Banned

My Mood: Angelic
=^.^= is a jewel in the rough=^.^= is a jewel in the rough=^.^= is a jewel in the rough

so this isn't news. it's just some guy saying they'd be silly to keep the same name. it's not even a rumour. it probably won't happen.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
bloo
Goomba
Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1

bloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Konata View Post
I was about to say this.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Carnival
Toadette
Points: 379, Level: 7 Points: 379, Level: 7 Points: 379, Level: 7

Carnival is just really niceCarnival is just really niceCarnival is just really niceCarnival is just really nice

Xbox Live Gamertag: llxsmurf
I don't think this would
a) make a big difference.
b) happen.
This source isn't even a source. It's just someone on Gamesradar giving their opinion.
But I do see how the 'U' might come across as some kind of 'Lite' version or something.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
NommyNommy
Banned

NommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to beholdNommyNommy is a splendid one to behold

if people even cared they would know its not just a wii expansion
Old 01-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
Megas75
A Goddamn Philistine
Points: 22,366, Level: 93 Points: 22,366, Level: 93 Points: 22,366, Level: 93
User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 3x SNES Controller User owns 1x Megaman\'s Helmet User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Poke Doll User owns 2x Chao
User owns 1x Black Mage User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x X-Buster User owns 1x Sub Tank User owns 1x Heart Tank

My Mood: Twisted
Megas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond reputeMegas75 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Monster Poster Profile of the Month Award News Reporter Welcome Wagon Royalty Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Konata View Post
Playstation to Playstation 2 or PS2 to PS3(or even Xbox to the Xbox 360) aren't exactly hard to follow as Wii to Wii U, considering the amount of peripherals using the Wii name(Wii Balance Board, Wii Zapper, Wii Speak, to name a few)
Old 01-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #10
Carnival
Toadette
Points: 379, Level: 7 Points: 379, Level: 7 Points: 379, Level: 7

Carnival is just really niceCarnival is just really niceCarnival is just really niceCarnival is just really nice

Xbox Live Gamertag: llxsmurf
Well I'm just saying that WiiU doesn't sound so much of a sequel than maybe an expansion or upgrade. Super Wii, yes. Wii2, yes. But WiiU, not really. The DS had the DSi, and they were essentially the same console. But the Wii and the WiiU are different, and probably should have different names. But if Wii Remotes are still being used with the console, that's going to enforce the feeling more that it's just an "expansion" as you call it, NommyNommy.

And I agree with Megas on his post considering that it's difficult to follow Nintendo in what is and isn't a new console. The DS, DS Lite, DSi and DSiXL were all the same console, but they expected everyone to jump on the 3DS bandwagon and accept it as an entirely different console with its own games. I can understand why it took the general public a while before accepting it.

Closed Thread