Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Metroid II: Return of Samus
Published by Carnival
02-10-2012
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%

You need Metroid II: Return of Samus if you're a completionist. After all, this Gameboy adventure tells the story of how Samus Aran met the baby Metroid - Setting us up for Super Metroid and Metroid: Other M.
Heaven help you if this is your first Metroid game, though, as it can seem impenetrable. You're dumped in a location (Platen SR388) with no idea as to where you go and no map to guide you on your mission to shoot down 39 Metroids.

It doesn't help that the black and white visuals mean many locations look similar and you may struggle to work out where you have and where you haven't visited. On the flipside however, these monochrome backgrounds do heighten the feeling of bleak isolation and desolation for which the Metroid series is famous for. Whether intentional or not, this apparent limitation of hardware serves as a boost to atmosphere.

Once you get to grips with Metroid II and have broke through some of the secret passages in the walls, you'll find that it has more to it than most GameBoy titles.

With some great power-ups to collect, including the Space Jump, Plasma Beam and Spider Ball, this is an enjoyable game that isn't just for hardcore fans. However, Metroid newcomers will find it less than welcoming.

78%
Published by
Toadette
Carnival is just really niceCarnival is just really niceCarnival is just really niceCarnival is just really nice
Sponsored Links
By AlloftheAbove on 02-10-2012, 03:24 AM
A very minimal review, but you said what you wanted to say. That's all that counts in a review, really.
By SuperGamecube64 on 02-10-2012, 06:50 PM
As AOTA already said, it's kind of like a bone with no meat on it.

also, if they remade this game with a map, I would flip.
By jdude0822 on 02-10-2012, 11:51 PM
I never found metroid attractive too me. I played 3 on the wii and didn't think too highly of it. It was ok but the game map was really confusing to me and such.
By AlloftheAbove on 02-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGamecube64 View Post
As AOTA already said, it's kind of like a bone with no meat on it.
I'd say it's more like meat without any bones, if we're using that metaphor. Your thoughts are there, and they're good, but there's no real structure or flow.
By SuperGamecube64 on 02-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdude0822 View Post
I never found metroid attractive too me. I played 3 on the wii and didn't think too highly of it. It was ok but the game map was really confusing to me and such.
I think you mean you played Metroid PRIME 3, and honestly, Prime is not for everybody. You should try the older 2D metroid games instead.
By Holysnap on 03-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Solid work! You have good ideas and a natural analytical mind that makes for interesting reviews. A nice change of pace to what we see all the time around here. It is a little on the short side with I'm sure you could work on for future reviews.
By Rai17 on 03-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Nice review that gets right to the point :3
Comment