Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > General Forum > Media Entertainment > Music Reviews

Notices

Music Reviews Post your Music reviews here.

Closed Review

Review Tools
The Listening (Bonus Track Version)
LIGHTS
Published by Rai17
03-03-2012
Author review
Rate the Music
95%95%95%
Average 95%

Artwork:
Before fame hit her bit, LIGHTS had released a self-title EP with similar artwork. At the time, LIGHTS had many interests including comics, space, sci-fi and expressing herself. With all of these things in mind, she released original comics and had several animations of herself shared with her fans.

Track Listing

1. Saviour
2. Drive My Soul
3. River
4. The Listening
5. Ice
6. Pretend
7. The Last Thing On Your Mind
8. Second Go
9. February Air
10. Face Up
11. Lions!
12. Quiet
13. Pretend (Reprise)
14. Saviour (Colin Munroe’s Unsing Mix)
15. Saviour (The Angry Kids FM Mix)
16. Up Up and Away (Bonus Track)

Individual Reviews:
Reviews are based on what interests me, what the lyrics tend to say, vocals, and how sound is presented throughout the track:

1. Saviour
We all get weak at some point. Saviour highlights those feelings of being lonesome and exposes a light of hope through the lyrics. With its flow being slow and perfectly crafted to introduce the album, this track is the first of many to leave you with a smile.

Overall Rating: 5/5

2. Drive My Soul
A much stronger track, beginning with the same intensity of Saviour, but with a huge "umph" in the very middle. With a dash on intimacy (and the lack of) sprinkled throughout the whole song, it's very romantic as whole.

Overall Rating: 4/5

3. River
"Changing but never changed, claiming, but never claimed" =] A song for those wanting and seeking a thrill in life, so that something can take you far from where you are, to some, well, as she describes it, "some other unknown". It's not an overplayed song among fans, so consider it a hidden gem.

4. The Listening
The first ever song that exposed me to this wonderful girl. A powerful song with a variety of electronic and synth-pop sounds, it tells the story of how shy one can be about feeling those butterflies when doing something as simple as talking to the person. Call me a sucker, but the adorable message delivered flawlessly makes this track worthy of naming the whole album after it.

5. Ice
What happens when you can't stand the person you're with, because they show no signs of emotions or connections towards you? They turn to ice. A somewhat stronger song compared to the others, its tune is catchy enough to get stuck in your head all day.

Overall Rating: 3.5/5

6. Pretend
So melancholic. The first time around, the message I got from it was too depressing to even listen to it again. The it reminds one of what life has to offer and how all the good times are worth growing up, leaving behind the simpler times in our lives.

7. The Last Thing On Your Mind
Sing the last thing on your mind ♫
Beginning with a slow and soft approach, the shouts and power beats in the end accentuate the delivery of its meaning to the audience. Soft then loud, simplistic then powerful.

8. Second Go
THE most popular song LIGHTS has created thus far. Throughout Youtube, hundreds of people have covered their own rendition of this dream-like track. That's one of the many words to describe her style of music: dreamy. Electro-Pop and Galactic-Pop is how she describes the song herself. This is LIGHTS at her best before her sophomore album!

9. February Air
Such a sweet and day-dream-like song, the most interesting part about it is not the lyrics, but the background sounds; the way it sounds like you're floating or perhaps suspended in the air. This song became so popular in Canada, that it was chosen as the main theme in an Old Navy commercial!

10. Face Up
A song delivering a priceless piece of advice: keep your face up! Never let something deprive you of feeling alive. It's such a feel-good song :')

11. Lions!
Having the honor to witness her in concert, LIGHTS reveals that this song is based on one of her favorite video games of all time: World of Warcraft. Personally I don't see it, but if you can decipher the connection, I would greatly appreciate it

Overall Rating: 3/5

12. Quiet
Beginning with a more ethnic touch, then letting out a more modern and electric beat, it's an awesome song to express how you truly feel about a special someone. It contains more electrical sounds than her usual electronic beats.

13. Pretend (Reprise)
In the regular version of the album, this is the final song: a piano rendition of the previous Pretend. Much slower, not electronic, and more meaningful. Truly feel the track to connect with it.

14. Saviour (Colin Munroe’s Unsing Mix)
A Mix of Saviour. I'm not such a huge fan of DJ mixes per say, so I don't see the point of it as a music lover. On the other side, these songs are perfect for clubs, raves and get-togethers with friends.

Overall Rating: 2/5

15. Saviour (The Angry Kids FM Mix)
Read the above description please =)

Overall Rating: 2/5

16. Up Up and Away (Bonus Track)
Finally. THE final track in the bonus version. This song alone is worth buying the bonus edition of this album. It truly captures the very thing LIGHTS aims for: electro-spacial-dream-like sounds :3 The whole song has such a wonderful way to present its listeners to a bittersweet message; to remember that we're like "planets passing by", and to go on achieving your own personal dreams. The final seconds of this piece left me with chills and ing for more!

*Also*
Several of these songs came out with cute and story-telling music videos: Saviour, Saviour (Adam Young Remix), Drive My Soul, Ice, and February Air =3

Here's Second Go!

If you're a fan, lemme know if I captured the essence of this album or not :3

If you're new to LIGHTS, I hope my opinions help you lean towards just searching her up on Youtube & enjoy :3

- Rai17
Sponsored Links
By N64Stein on 08-02-2012, 03:20 AM
I don't even like lights, but this review was that good I would download her music just to get your perspective. And the fact you got her comic art in there, good show sir!
By Rai17 on 08-02-2012, 03:24 AM
Oh my God you're actually reading it. >.<
By N64Stein on 08-02-2012, 03:30 AM
its actually an amazing review, i'm looking for the rest now, mwhahahaha
By Rai17 on 08-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N64Stein View Post
its actually an amazing review, i'm looking for the rest now, mwhahahaha
fghsdajghf
I'm working on some Owl City and Latin Soundtracks as we speak
Closed Review

Tags
drive my soul, ice, lights, lights poxleitner, second go, the listening, valerie poxleitner