Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Member Game Reviews > Classic Nintendo Reviews

Notices

Classic Nintendo Reviews Section for all Retro Nintendo Games for NES, SNES, Gamecube, Nintendo 64, Gameboy

Comment

Review Tools
Nintendo Gameboy
Nintendo Gameboy
Published by SuperGamecube64
03-20-2012
Author review
GraphicsN/A
StorylineN/A
Controls/GameplayN/A
SoundN/A
Average N/A%
Nintendo Gameboy

This is my first console review, although I do not plan for it to be my last. I will only ever review systems that have finished their cycle. Also, unlike my game reviews which use no scoring system, I will use a letter grade system. I'm going to keep this review short, sweet, and to the point.

The Gameboy was born on July 26th, 1994.

Wait, that's the wrong Gameboy...let me start over.

The Gameboy was an 8-bit handheld released in 1989 (August to be more precise, for North America).

Contrary to what some may think, this was not the first hand held gaming system, nor was it Nintendo's first. That title goes to the Game & Watch. This was the first majorly successful hand held, however, and boy did it shake the gaming world! It was more of less a portable version of the NES.

The Gameboy is an 8-bit system, like the NES, but has a monochrome screen. As was standard for the time, it had no back light. Sometimes I wonder if Gaming without a back light is what caused me to have to get glasses...Just be thankful the DS systems and PSPs of today are nice and bright.

The Gameboy's cartridges (officially dubbed Game Paks by Nintendo) measure 5.8 cm by 6.5 cm. Being so small, ti is quite easy to transport multiple cartridges. Games that have a save function such Zelda and the Pokemon games use a small SRAM (flash memory) battery. While they can last for years, like all batteries they will eventually die.

By today's standards, the technology is far from impressive. That doesn't stop this system from having a really cool retro look and feel to it. Gaming owes a lot to the Gameboy is caused the boom in the hand held market, and it's safe to say that we might not have systems like the Nintendo 3DS or the Playstation Portable line if it hadn't come about. This is the system that was in almost every kids, teen, and even adult's pocket for years. It wasn't discontinued until 1999, despite numerous newer models being released, and that says a lot.

Technology
Then: B+
Now: C

In 1989, having a portable 8-Bit system was pretty cool stuff. In the present, however, we have systems that are more powerful than the Nintendo 64 in our pockets, and they don't eat 4 AA's every 3-4 hours either. As mentioned, the save battery in games such as Pokemon will eventually die, but they can be replaced very cheaply and with relative ease.

Appeal
Then: A+
Now: D

The only real reason to own a Gameboy now is nostalgia or collection purposes. With all the newer Gameboy models as well as the Gameboy player that can play Gameboy Games as well as the newer releases, the system doesn't really warrant a buy anymore.

Library
B-

Aside from a Zelda Game, a Metroid Game and the Pokemon games, there are only a handful of other games on the system worth hunting down. But the games that are worth playing are very high quality.
Published by
Futtbuck Bro no.1
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64
Sponsored Links
By Sid the Kid on 03-20-2012, 03:03 PM
gameboy A+
review A-

For giving the gameboy B-
By Rai17 on 03-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Hmm.
By SuperGamecube64 on 03-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid the Kid View Post
gameboy A+
review A-

For giving the gameboy B-
You don't have to agree with me, but allow me to explain why I did that. I actually only gave the library a B-, due to lack of games aside from maybe 10.

This is why I generally don't use ratings in my review. They cause too much disagreement. With a system, it is much harder to just use my word, though.
By Megas75 on 03-20-2012, 03:58 PM
I lol'd @ Gameboy

Anyways, good review, I see your starting to review platforms like how Cam3ron reviewed the Gamecube
By jdude0822 on 03-20-2012, 04:05 PM
nice review! I do think the gameboy's library was a little larger than what you made it seem though.
By Konata on 03-20-2012, 04:21 PM
I don't remember the Gameboy having many games. So I agree there.
By Colorful CrAzYoNzZ on 03-20-2012, 08:16 PM
I see what you did there with the Gameboy. Lol. xD

Good review. Maybe I should try and review a console.
By CosmicMega on 03-24-2012, 03:29 PM
I thought this would be a review of GameBoy the member.

I am severely disappointed.

In any case, good job. It was a fair review that covered the spectrum for the most part.
By Cam3ron36@NFF on 03-24-2012, 04:51 PM
I almost thought it was a joke review of the forum user as well. Good job. Makes me want to kick out one last review of a console. I just might. I've only done gamecube before? and that was years ago. Did I do Saturn too?
Comment