Nintendo Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Rai17
Actor
Points: 14,378, Level: 77 Points: 14,378, Level: 77 Points: 14,378, Level: 77
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Classic User owns 1x Snake rope User owns 1x Yo-Yo User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom User owns 2x Super Mushroom User owns 1x Mr Saturn User owns 1x Invincibility Star
User owns 2x Rod Of Seasons User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Ocarina Of Time User owns 2x Daisy Flower User owns 1x Harp of Ages User owns 2x Princess Peach Crown User owns 1x Water Element

My Mood: Brooding
Rai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond reputeRai17 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster Yoshi NFF Old Man Award Celebrity Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Inventor Award NFF Promoter 
Total Awards: 9

Exclamation Rumors & Specs Leaks: Playstation Orbis and Xbox 720?

I couldn't believe what I was reading. There I was, sitting in a corner at Walmart at 2am reading about this. According to several articles from the most recent issues of Game Informer & Electronic Gamer, The Nintendo's "Wii U" is forcing its competition, Microsoft and Sony, to catch up- whether they, and their consumers, like it or not. After finding the topic quite interesting, I decided to read up a bit about the upcoming consoles of the other two gaming companies. What I found was "Xbox 720" (Code-named "Durango" on some sites) and the Playstation 4 (Widely code-named as "Orbis"). At first I thought "Oh okay, the next-gen consoles are already in development" and that I'd actually give Microsoft and Sony a shot, until some of the rumors shut down my thought entirely.

Specs Leaks:
Geaphics will be a key component to these two consoles. Both will be using the similar HD Graphic cards and processors, making them compete head-to-head in discreet graphics (if speak graphic lingo, go here.)

Rumors:
This is the bit that disappointed me.

Quote:
Console game giants Microsoft and Sony may be ushering in a new era of media control with their Xbox 720 and PlayStation Orbis systems as both have been tipped this month to be placing unheard-of controls on so-called “used” games. These tips would have the next-generation console gaming systems both cutting down on game rental and sales services like GameStop and would essentially put online re-sales of games at a standstill. How this will affect sales of the consoles themselves is yet to be seen.

Both Microsoft and Sony appear to be considering having control over used game hardware for the future in several ways. If you’ve got a PlayStation Orbis, for example, and you pick up any old PlayStation game that’d been sold to someone other than yourself and played on a console that wasn’t the one you’re using now, restrictions will come into play. In this case you’ll have a “restricted” amount of gameplay available to you with the “full” experience available for an additional price through the PlayStation Network.

For the Xbox 720, tips from several sources have been noting the complete cut-off of used gameplay altogether. Each game will be tied to the first console it is played on, then that’s it! Downloadable games and one-user-disks will be the only legal means for gamers to play games on their Xbox 720 consoles if rumors prove to be true.
Source: Slashgear Article

Quote:
...and hear this: we’ve got another anonymous tip on the PlayStation side of things that may very well make you even more wild if that first news bit got your goat. According to a source we’re speaking with, the Orbis will not be working with any games from previous consoles at all, depending solely on games that are release after the console itself.
Source: Slashgear Article

tl;dr Version: The next Xbox and Playstation might not have that amazing backwards compatibility many of us love to see in modern consoles, and the Playstation might even cut off legacy games while the Xbox will offer them as DLC.

~ Leftovers of a Genius

-My Twitter
--My YouTube
---My Instagram
----The NFF Facebook Page
Rai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Nintenduendo
Estupidez
Points: 15,977, Level: 81 Points: 15,977, Level: 81 Points: 15,977, Level: 81
User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Super Mushroom

My Mood: Cold
Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 
Total Awards: 6

Wow. If this is correct, this is actually the direct opposite of what many thought would happen, which is Nintendo going in too early and getting obliterated by the next Xbox and PlayStation. This is incredible if Nintendo has them spooked that much that they'll begin the next-gen like this.

Graphics don't really bother me. The way I see it, as far as consoles go, there's some slight room for improvement here and there but we've hit the ceiling as far as graphical power is concerned. I think, at the moment, it's going to be a race for who has the best controller and who has the best online service.

But I think it'll be troublesome to not have backwards compatibility, and damning if they don't play used games.

From the standpoint of backwards compatibility, I get it; your previous software lineup will cease at some point. But to cut it off right from the start is folly. I think the Wii did it best when they kept it backwards compatible for the better part of three years, and when they laid out the system differently, they cut out the GCN compatibiltiy. That gave everyone enough time to buy a Wii with the compatibility.

As for used games, I just think that's appalling. Some of the best games got famous for being passed around by friends and being bought at used game shops. What I think will happen is we'll get a lot of games that will go unnoticed and therefore never gain the recognition they deserve.

I've heard used games has hurt the industry in a way, so I'll cut my message off about that and leave my points up for debate.

Nintenduendo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Markus
Points: 863, Level: 15 Points: 863, Level: 15 Points: 863, Level: 15

Markus is a jewel in the roughMarkus is a jewel in the roughMarkus is a jewel in the roughMarkus is a jewel in the rough

Lol this is kinda old news, and @glaston, if you are PC gamer you would know consoles have a loooooong way to go for graphics, and graphics are still improving a lot even today.

If not, then... "consoles have a loooooong way to go for graphics, and graphics are still improving a lot even today"
Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Nintenduendo
Estupidez

Nintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond reputeNintenduendo has a reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
Monster Poster NFF Annual Awards Profile of the Month Award NFF's 4th Annual Award Poster NFF Debater 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
Lol this is kinda old news, and @glaston, if you are PC gamer you would know consoles have a loooooong way to go for graphics, and graphics are still improving a lot even today.

If not, then... "consoles have a loooooong way to go for graphics, and graphics are still improving a lot even today"
Oh no, I understand the gap between PC gaming and console gaming. As console gaming goes though, it just seems to me like when we enter the next gen everyone is going to be at the same level, or right around it.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
Markus

Markus is a jewel in the roughMarkus is a jewel in the roughMarkus is a jewel in the roughMarkus is a jewel in the rough

You mean like all the consoles will be around the same level of graphics?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
Nintenduendo
Estupidez

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
You mean like all the consoles will be around the same level of graphics?
Yes sir!

Then again, I should have put a disclaimer on my post saying I don't know a whole lot about the differences in graphical power, other than basic things. I do understand that PC gaming > console gaming in terms of graphics, though.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
Markus

Yeah ok, at thought at first you ment that like console gaming will look as good as PC gaming will for next gen.

but I get it now. I think I agree, but then again if they don't really need to upgrade the graphics there is no real reason to make a whole new console except for like money or for the 360 to go to bluray so it'll have more space.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 35,117, Level: 100 Points: 35,117, Level: 100 Points: 35,117, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award NFF's 4th Annual Award 
Total Awards: 12

I don't really care about BC since I have a 360 & PS3, but not being able to buy used games kinda sucks.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
Nintenduendo
Estupidez

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Konata View Post
I don't really care about BC since I have a 360 & PS3, but not being able to buy used games kinda sucks.
I look at backwards compatibility from the standpoint that some console owners sell off their older consoles to help towards the cost of a new one. This trend is backed by incentives in GameStop stores to receive credit towards your new console when you trade in the old one.

But its somewhat a matter of opinion, I suppose. For me, a backwards compatible system is a plus because I whenever get a new console, chances are the preceding console is packed away somewhere. So instead of actually finding the old console and hooking it back up, I can sit on my lazy duff and play the old games on the new console.

Last edited by Nintenduendo; 04-24-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
SuperGamecube64
Futtbuck Bro no.1
Points: 57,486, Level: 100 Points: 57,486, Level: 100 Points: 57,486, Level: 100
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Master Ball User owns 1x 1-UP Mushroom

My Mood: Woot
SuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperGamecube64 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Annual Awards NFF Old Man Award Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award Level 100 Award NFF Promoter Review of the Month Monster Poster 
Total Awards: 19

Send a message via AIM to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via MSN to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Yahoo to SuperGamecube64 Send a message via Skype™ to SuperGamecube64 Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperGamecube64
If I cannot play sued games on their console, I will not buy their console. I have a feeling many others feel the same way. I know Alphaomegasin, a youtube blogger with a huge fanbase, could likely start a miniature rebellion by protesting it himself (his fans would follow). But yeah, my console. I own it. I should be able to play what I want on it.

Check me out on Facebook!
Like action figures? Click here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandyn View Post
You wield the banhammer like Thor wields Mjolnir.

"No, you're clearly wrong. A game's success is determined by the score. Opinions are facts now, and if this game gets too many negative facts then this game clearly sucks so we should all just leave and play Kingdom Hearts and Call of Duty.(that hurt to type)" - Sabeta_Sama of GFAQs
SuperGamecube64 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gaming news, playstation 4, playstation orbis, xbox 720, xbox durango