Nintendo Fan Forum  

Go Back   Nintendo Fan Forum > Nintendo Corner > Gaming News

Notices

Gaming News Gaming News around the world.

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
AlloftheAbove
Numbah Wan
Points: 23,634, Level: 94 Points: 23,634, Level: 94 Points: 23,634, Level: 94
User owns 1x Purple Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Yellow Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Red Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Green Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Light Blue Chaos Emerald User owns 1x Grey Chaos Emerald

My Mood: Gaming
AlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond reputeAlloftheAbove has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Review of the Month Review of the Month Review of the Month NFF's 4th Annual Award NFF Old Man Award NFF Referrer Review of the Month Review of the Month 
Total Awards: 38

3DS Friend Code: 4382-1995-8800 Xbox Live Gamertag: RaptorWaffles WiiU ID: AlloftheAbove
Star Man Nintendo focusing on Hardcore games first

Quote:
Nintendo has revealed that it plans to dazzle hardcore Nintendo fans with the Wii U rather than the mass market. Iwata explained that the company has learned lessons with the Wii and won’t be focusing all their efforts on trying to win over casual gamers with Wii U. Iwata admitted that Nintendo had struggled to get core gamers to take the Wi platform seriously, but they plan to amend this with Wii U when it launches later this year.

“The Wii was able to reach a large number of new consumers who had never played games before by bringing hands-on experiences with its Wii Sports and Wii Fit,” he explained.

“However, we could not adequately create the situation that such new consumers played games frequently or for long, consistent periods. As a result, we could not sustain a good level of profit.

“Moreover, regrettably, what we prioritised in order to reach out to the new audience was a bit too far from what we prioritised for those who play games as their hobby. Consequently, we presume some people felt that the Wii was not a game system for them or they were not willing to play with the Wii even though some compelling games had been released.”

“Once consumers have a notion that ‘this system is not for us’, we have learned that it is extremely difficult to change their perceptions later,” said Iwata.

“Therefore, in promoting the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U, we have announced that we would like ‘width’ and ‘depth’ to coexist.

“With the Nintendo DS and the Wii, the approach of ‘width’ was well accepted by many people; however, what we did in terms of ‘depth’ was not satisfactory for some consumers. This time, we would like consumers to be satisfied in both aspects.

“In order to do so, we started to work on the ‘depth’ aspect first, and the current and existing software you can see for the Nintendo 3DS is based on that idea. In the future, the approach will evolve,” he continued.

“Our approach for the Wii U is basically the same. By doing so continuously, we are expecting that the number of game users per household will increase and as the gaming population increases, we believe we can create a sustainable video game market.”
Source: MyNintendoNews.com

This was a big thing for Nintendo to admit, especially since the Wii sold more units than any other gaming system, and I'm extremely proud of them for learning from their mistakes in the past. Hopefully they're true to their word.

What are your thoughts?
Old 05-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,061, Level: 100 Points: 38,061, Level: 100 Points: 38,061, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

My Mood: Inspired
Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 
Total Awards: 13

As long as they stay away from titles like 'Wii Party' and focus on their strong series as well as getting good 3rd party support, then I'll be putting all my money in. I've got to say though, unless the Wii U get's exclusive 3rd party titles which the non-Nintendo gamers actually want, then I doubt too many people would invest in the Wii U. I know a lot of people who wouldn't give the Wii U a chance with a multi-platform title like Assassins Creed 3. So hopefully that'll change in the future.

My little sister can't be this non-existent

Old 05-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
TheBattleFrontier2
Points: 747, Level: 14 Points: 747, Level: 14 Points: 747, Level: 14

My Mood: Doubtful
TheBattleFrontier2 has a spectacular aura aboutTheBattleFrontier2 has a spectacular aura about

As long as they avoid titles that are basically set up to be party games like the M&S at the Olympic 2012 games and Mii related games and focus on Smash brothers and Assasin's creed. Then I'm completely down for their appologizes.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Gareth

Problem is that, asscreed will be the only example. Ubisoft were absolutely bumming the wii u probably due to a paycheck, i don't think other 3rd party companys will back the wii u in favor of sony and MS

Old 05-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do
Points: 38,061, Level: 100 Points: 38,061, Level: 100 Points: 38,061, Level: 100
User owns 1x Nintendo DS User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Wheel User owns 1x Purple Pikmin User owns 1x White Pikmin User owns 1x Blue Pikmin User owns 1x Yellow Pikmin User owns 1x Red Pikmin
User owns 1x Metroid User owns 1x Triforce User owns 1x Gold Cucoo User owns 1x Samus Morphball User owns 1x Princess Ruto

Konata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond reputeKonata has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
Signature of the Month NFF Referrer Signature of the Month NFF Annual Awards NFF Bachelor Award Member of the Month Level 100 Award NFF Old Man Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
Problem is that, asscreed will be the only example. Ubisoft were absolutely bumming the wii u probably due to a paycheck, i don't think other 3rd party companys will back the wii u in favor of sony and MS
Yeah, I doubt Nintendo could afford to pay more than Sony or MS to get an exclusive.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Gareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Konata View Post
Yeah, I doubt Nintendo could afford to pay more than Sony or MS to get an exclusive.
Was that sarcasm? It's not that Nintendo won't pay for exclusives, its that the company's know they can make more at 360/ps3or 720/ps4 whatever

Old 05-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Zelda09
Princess of Hyrule
Points: 1,479, Level: 21 Points: 1,479, Level: 21 Points: 1,479, Level: 21

My Mood: Cheeky
Zelda09 is a splendid one to beholdZelda09 is a splendid one to beholdZelda09 is a splendid one to beholdZelda09 is a splendid one to beholdZelda09 is a splendid one to beholdZelda09 is a splendid one to beholdZelda09 is a splendid one to behold

Awards Showcase
Super Member Princess Award 
Total Awards: 2

Good to see they're finally realizing this. There needs to be more games (from nintendo) that you can buckle down and sink your teeth into. More games that you can play hours in time.

I must admit though. I do kinda like those kid friendly casual games though. They're fun to play with friends and family who don't usually game as much. It's easier and more on their level. Preventing people from getting frustrated and angry because they can't play very well.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Zero
8-bit Roots™
Points: 4,023, Level: 40 Points: 4,023, Level: 40 Points: 4,023, Level: 40
User owns 1x Poke Ball User owns 1x Zero\'s Helmet User owns 1x SNES Controller User owns 1x Z-Saber User owns 1x Mega Man User owns 1x Nintendo 64 Controller User owns 1x Nintendo DS
User owns 1x Nintendo Wii Remote

My Mood: Amused
Zero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond reputeZero has a reputation beyond repute

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase
NFF Old Man Award Poster Super Member Royalty 
Total Awards: 4

Zero would like to see this happen but let's be realistic, we've heard this kind of stuff from Nintendo a few times before.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
Konata
The NEET Thing To Do

Friend Codes

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
Was that sarcasm? It's not that Nintendo won't pay for exclusives, its that the company's know they can make more at 360/ps3or 720/ps4 whatever
It wasn't sarcasm, I just typed it up badly. I guess that's true too, but it's still about money.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
Rin
Nintendo King/Queen
Points: 39,442, Level: 100 Points: 39,442, Level: 100 Points: 39,442, Level: 100

Rin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant futureRin has a brilliant future

Awards Showcase
Royalty NFF 3rd Annual Award Level 100 Award Member of the Month Monster Poster Yoshi Poster 
Total Awards: 7

I'll believe it when I see it for myself.
Closed Thread